on 9 February 2015
this is one of the most extraordinary cd's that I have listened to in my life, the songs are already quite well-known but Ella Fitzgerald makes them unique and unforgetable, I purchased the double cd at a very good price and it arrived in time and in an excellent condition
on 2 June 2012
For me this set of songs is one of the pinnacles of human artistic achievement. I would honestly rate this collection alongside Beethoven's Symphonies. Cole Porter's ability to marry an exquisite melody to a set of intelligent and often witty set of lyrics has rarely been equalled by any other songwriter or songwriting partnership. Add to this the unparalleled vocal abilities of Ella Fitzgerald at the peak of her powers and we have something very special. Ella enjoyed a very long and successful recording career, Ellington quite rightly regarded her to be in 'a class of her own'. She recorded dozens of great albums many of which were 'Grammy award winners'. However in my opinion this collection offers the best of the best of her recorded output.
on 2 November 2013
This was another CD that replaced old cassettes. The tunes are tuneful, the lyrics clever and the performance great. II prompts a lot of memories. I didn't enjoy some of the extra tracks at the end, but it is easy not to play them.
on 9 July 2010
Few words needed - simply sublime! It is the definitive version of "Every Time We Say Goodbye".
on 12 November 2012
I had purchased Vol. II of this magnificent collection many years ago and always meant to buy the first volume as I consider Porter one of the greatest song writers of the 20th century and Ella his best interpreter. When I saw that it had been issued as a double CD, I couldn't resist the temptation and was more than compensated by the beautiful, wistful and playful mood of the singer, which give her versions of these standards nuisances that suit Porter's sharp wit and social satire. The music is also note perfect and wraps around Ella's phrasing like honey on yogurt. Who could ask for anything more?
on 9 October 2011
A fabulous collection of some of the best renditions of these songs. Very nice recordings too.
I have no objections to the remastering.
on 6 October 2013
I bought this album when it was first released and it is great to hear it again remastered and sounding better than ever.Cole Porter was one of the greatest composers of popular music and his songs have never been served better than by Ella Fitzgerald. A classic album that has endured and will continue to as long as there are lovers of great music..
on 18 December 2013
Quite simply 'the top'. Such elegance and beauty. Her voice is hauntingly good. I don't know why im bothering to review because duly everyone already knows how superb she is. Great collection
on 4 December 2013
Just one of the words to describe Ella. I've never been able to get hold of this on MP3 before. Digital remastering is a fantastic improvement. Ella & Cole Porter are a magic combination.
on 11 December 2013
Absolute classic songs and great voice. The recording sounds great on my in ear phone headphones and always improves my mood when they come on