4.0 out of 5 stars The Civil Wars - Appeal to the better angels of our nature
A trip to Memphis Tennessee a few years back continues to pay dividends and can I thank a number of American friends for this recommendation. The Civil Wars are a duo consisting of John Paul White, hailing from Florence, Alabama and Joy Williams, originally from Santa Cruz, CA, but now residing in East Nashville. They have already altruistically shared a free concert...
Published on 7 Feb 2011 by Red on Black

3.0 out of 5 stars If it isn't live...?
Published on 6 Nov 2011 by I. Melvin

‹ Previous | 1 2 315 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Civil Wars - Barton Hollow, 20 Feb 2012
This review is from: Barton Hollow (Audio CD)
Imported from USA and the CD arrived today - 20th Feb 2012. It's not available in this country until March 2012. Heard the title track "Barton Hollow" and was totally knocked out by the writing, the arrangement, the harmonies and the singing of this American duo who were previously unknown to me. Their voices blend magically and the arrangements are inventive and unusual. Rarely do I eulogise over anyone but this is a complete knock-out. Totally wonderful! Take a look at the Jules Holland Show vid of them singing "Barton Hollow" on You Tube. After I had heard them and sent for the CD, they have appeared on the Grammys and won two awards for their music. Well deserved! For anyone who likes Acoustic/Folk/Country influenced music, this CD is a must.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Civil Wars, 12 Nov 2011
This review is from: Barton Hollow (Audio CD)
I never heard of this duo until I saw them on Jools Holland - they won me over within the first 30 secs of their song, their unique style and the way they would interact with each other as they sang the words was intriguing and kind of mesmerizing. I did worry that on just audio they would not have the same effect, but I worried for no reason, they are just as good on the CD as they were on TV. Must lookout for a UK tour!

5.0 out of 5 stars Such beautiful album... a must have!, 27 Oct 2011
I. Paetow (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Barton Hollow (MP3 Download)
I don't normally write reviews about albums, but felt I had to about "Barton Hollow." Thanks to watching the The Civil Wars perform on Jools Hollands... Later, I bought the album (MP3 dowmload) and have to say what a delight it is to listen to.

I have rarely heard a an album with such a beautiful collection of songs put together like this one. The harmonies of Joy and John Paul are just fantastic to listen to. Watching them perform on Y/T videos, they are just so passionate about their music.

A strong contender for album of the year.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you enjoyed them on Later..., 24 Oct 2011
Adam Saunders (Newcastle upon Tyne, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Barton Hollow (Audio CD)
...then buy the album. This was a bit of an impulse purchase to be honest. I heard them on Later with Jools Holland and was transfixed by their harmonies - truly beautiful interweaving of voices with the guitar almost a third voice adding punctuation and emphasis. I was a little worried that my favourite song on the night (their rendition of Billie Jean) wasn't on the album and I might find that disappointing. I didn't - if you like any of their songs that you've heard then the album is worth getting.

One of the reviewers here really wasn't impressed by 'I've got this friend' and I find that perplexing, wonder if they were listening to the same song as me. I find a load of English music to be horribly over-produced and it's refreshing to hear such under-stated simple elegance in any music. Still it takes all sorts; some people listen to Radio 1, which totally mystifies me.

If you go to the American version of Amazon you can listen to clips of all the tracks - worth a visit if you're not sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Album of the year, 22 Oct 2011
Ag Man (Hertfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Barton Hollow (Audio CD)
I'm not naturally a fan of country music, although I guess real fans of that genre wouldn't consider TCW to be 'one of them'. That's all to the good so far as I'm concerned, because this is simply beautiful, beguiling music that transcends categorisation. All of the songs here are great, but two stand out. To Whom It May Concern brought me to tears - a heartbreaking melody, and those lyrics!- just superb. Poison & Wine is probably their best known song, and it's another stunner. If you appreciate great songwriting and wonderful vocal harmonies, just buy it - please.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful collection of songs, 17 Oct 2011
This review is from: Barton Hollow (Audio CD)
Praise to the Jools Holland show which is when I first heard this duo. This album is full of beautiful songs, I don't think there is one that I don't like. This is the best album I have purchased this year , I played it 3 times the first day it arrived. i am so dissapointed that they are only doing one date in London on their tour next year, how about us up in the NW? Looking forward to hearing more from them.

4.0 out of 5 stars GREAT NEW SOUND, 31 May 2011
This review is from: Barton Hollow (Audio CD)
I PURCHASED THIS AFTER HEARING A TRACK FROM THIS ON RADIO 2 COUNTRY , AND I CAN ONLY SAY I AM NOT DISAPPOINTED, IT REMINDS ME OF THE EVERLY'S HARMONIES.

3.0 out of 5 stars If it isn't live...?, 6 Nov 2011
I. Melvin (Fleetwood, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Barton Hollow (Audio CD)
I bought this album on the strength of TCWs set on Jools Holland Live, which was in all respects as remarkable a debut perhaps as k t tunstall some years ago. A little research took me to find their live set, from their second ever gig in the 'Attic'. Once again I was blown away, so perhaps expectations were raised for their first studio album. Most of their self penned work here is familiar and is supported by bass, guitar piano and slide across a range of tracks. However, and quality production notwithstanding, their is something missing from these versions... and simply it is the chemistry and interplay that Joy and John display in their live work. It is not often that I would prefer a live album over a studio offering, but in this case The Civil Wars fail to deliver the heights of their live work. Hence a lower score than I had anticipated.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad debut album. Er..., 3 Sep 2014
This review is from: Barton Hollow (Audio CD)
Well, I liked the title track so bought the CD, then followed the soap-opera that was The Civil Wars. The harmonies are really beautiful, unnaturally close like the Everly Bros. The musicianship's excellent and the songs are never less than accomplished, I've enjoyed watching them perform on Youtube and wished I could have seen them live.

After a year or so I still play this album and really enjoy the sounds but it doesn't move me the way some music does, and I probably wouldn't have bought another Civil Wars album as one was probably enough! (My partner says the songs are all too sad for her). Look forward to seeing what they do next, though.

5.0 out of 5 stars OUTSTANDING! Definitely NOT a hollow sound., 22 July 2011
This review is from: Barton Hollow (Audio CD)
Decided to buy this album cold, based on reviews and recommendations. On first play, our initial scepticism disappeared - We were absolutely GOBSMACKED!
With each subsequent airing, it just gets better and better.
The sheer quality of the two vocals compliment each other to perfection
and the overall musicianship is par excellence!
We cannot recall hearing such an outstanding debut album as this - EVER!
From now on, we will be watching out for more from these two. Both recordings and live
gigs.

‹ Previous | 1 2 315 | Next ›

Barton Hollow
Barton Hollow by The Civil Wars (Audio CD - 2012)