5.0 out of 5 stars 'A canny and a clannish lot.'
As I write this, I am still thinking about this novel; it has stayed very much in my mind for days since finishing it. It is an enthralling, gripping story of several generations of the Dunbar family, and of forbidden, hopeless love that has tragic consequences. At the heart of the novel are twins Flora and Rory. Flora describes Rory as `my twin brother, my childhood...
Published on 10 Jan 2012 by L. H. Healy

3.0 out of 5 stars uncomfortable but page turning
This is an excellent book. It's a complex and sad story and a tragedy. I have given it three stars because I can't say I loved it, or I enjoyed it even. It is certainly a good read though. The subject matter is uncomfortable, but I doubt Ms Gillard will make any apology for that. I have to be honest, much as it is difficult to like the characters in the book, by the end...
Published on 16 Jun 2012 by Leri

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Disturbingly compelling, 4 April 2013
This review is from: A LIFETIME BURNING (Kindle Edition)
Although the subject matter was disturbing, I found I really kept wanting to read more about the family members and their tale. I wouldn't normally not be drawn to this type of subject but it was written in such a way that I'm left searching for my next Linda Gillard book!
So refreshing to read a book that twists and turns and keeps you interested from the beginning to end!

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Triumph for Linda Gillard - Subtle family saga, 4 Jan 2013
Lisa Hardy "lisabookworm" (Kettering, Northants, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A LIFETIME BURNING (Kindle Edition)
This is a complex family drama with lots of twists and turns.

The main character in the book is Flora Dunbar. She is a twin and has an incredibly close relationship with her twin brother Rory. They grow up in what appears a warm household. Rory becomes a famous pianist, whilst Flora becomes the wife of a clergyman who was a lot older than her. Flora is a complex character and never seems really happy with her lot. She creates scandal in her family in more ways than one, as lots of family secrets are unearthed and some taboo relationships are formed.

I loved this story and all of the characters involved. It was a complex story, full of love and passion, warm relationships but also hate. It was beautifully written and full of happy times, sad times and tragedies. So much all rolled into one book.

The only thing I didn't like about the book (but then this is often one of my gripes with many books not just this one) is the fact that it kept going backwards and forwards in time. This is okay for me if you read the book over a couple of days, which you could easily do if you had the time. However I read it over a span of about 10 days and kept forgetting where I was and in which decade and I had to keep going backwards and forwards to work out what was going on. It wouldn't deter me from reading more though.

I did however love how the author managed to make you warm to some characters and feel sorry for others. The way the characters are intertwined in a complex way, made the story very fulfilling.

I thoroughly recommend it as it has a lot of content and makes you want to keep reading it. I love the style of writing that Linda Gillard produces and have read many of her books, and recommend you do the same.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Read - prepare to lose a few days!, 27 Dec 2012
Dido (Sheffield, Uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A LIFETIME BURNING (Kindle Edition)
I went through so many emotions reading this book, wow. Great for fans of family sagas. Gritty. The characters are so believable. Sad to reach the end!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpectedly good, 4 Aug 2012
Ms A. French (York, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Lifetime Burning (Paperback)
Due to having to sit still silently for an hour, I ended up starting reading this less than 5 minutes after I finished The Great Gatsby.

Having come from the dream-like, floating style of Gatsby, I found the style of the opening chapter of this book really rather jarring and had a slight sinking feeling at the list of characters with rather similar names. I am really glad I persevered. The style and characters really grew on me and I ended up thoroughly enjoying this book.

While dealing with tough themes, the author is careful not to let things get too heavy and I found myself laughing out loud on several occasions. The dialogue between the various children is lovely. A highlight for me was:

"D'you believe in fairies?"
"No," said Theo firmly. "But I believe in your dad."

Having read the lower-starred reviews, it seems that the main reasons people didn't like this book as much as they might have are the non-linear approach to time, jumping backwards and forwards, and the fact that it is narrated from beyond the grave. Personally, I prefer this non-chronological approach - I find it more closely mirrors a person's thought process - if I were orally relating a story I would group related ideas together rather than list: x happened and then y and then x and then we all went home for tea, so this approach strikes me as more natural.

All-in-all I really enjoyed this book and it made me seek out more of Gillard's work. The next book I tried was HOUSE OF SILENCE, which was absolutely nothing like this one, but enjoyable in its own way and I may give EMOTIONAL GEOLOGY a go at some point.

5.0 out of 5 stars The characters are with me still! Something here for everyone, 7 Mar 2007
Molyneux (Oxfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Lifetime Burning (Paperback)
This book is amazing. Like Linda's other book Emotional Geology I was hooked from the very first page. A must read! ....and for me this book will have a permanent place in my collection since it's up there with the few books I know I will read again. I'll be buying more copies to pass onto friends!

There is something for everyone here since this novel can be read in different ways - it has a great story so it's perfect for the casual reader, but there is so much more depth to it and if the book is read more carefully the reader is well rewarded! I loved the way scenes early on were linked to something happening later on in the book and vice versa. Several times I had to go back to the prologue or to an earlier chapter to check on an idea! The prologue is the clue to the whole novel.

I knew it was going to be an emotional rollercoaster from the way it began, with a prologue narrated by Flora at her own funeral! Here we are introduced to the family and are told early on about Flora's incestuous affair with her own nephew, something I was immediately uncomfortable with, and and often with this book I had to stop and re-evaluate how I felt about different situations before I could move on.

The structure of the book is so beautifully done -- whizzing backwards and forwards in time, but I didnt find it at all confusing, and it works so well. Through this we begin to understand the characters, I can also see this book working as a play - since when we get taken to a different period in time it's as though we get flashbacks of scenes from a play.... I just love it!

This is a very clever piece of writing and when I had finished the book I had to turn back to the beginning and start to read it all over again! The characters became so real they live with me still, and I read this book two weeks ago!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bittersweet, 22 Aug 2006
This review is from: A Lifetime Burning (Paperback)
Reading a book is as natural as eating a meal to me. Sit down, grab a book, read, just to fill that mind-hunger. And, like ordinary food, most novels slip into my mind in the same gap-filling way as most meals slip down the oesophagus.

Imagine, then, the startled pause after the first forkful of Linda Gillard's new novel, A Lifetime Burning. Here is something worth consuming slowly, appreciatively. Then, the aftertaste, a sense of something unexpected, disturbing, compelling.

This novel, were it written by anyone less skilled than Linda Gillard, might evoke an adverse reaction. But the elegant prose carried me on, demanding that the next page be turned.

The characters are at times repellent, at others, loveable, such that I yearned that Flora the protagonist and Rory her musically gifted twin find fulfilment and happiness. Yet there was a prescient sense that this couldn't, shouldn't happen. Could it? Should it?

This is a novel that works on several levels. There is the surface story about The Dunbars as a family, enjoyable in its own right. Then there are the undercurrents of jealously, narcissism, love, passion, blinding revelation, which threw my mind into a pool of questions, questions which still surface from time to time, catching me unawares.

An unusual and unforgettable read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enthralling but sad!, 17 Mar 2013
This review is from: A LIFETIME BURNING (Kindle Edition)
I am a big fan of Linda Gillard's writing and found this book to be equally as good as her others but as always, very different. She has a real talent for writing novels that are a bit unusual but that always have a good story line and characters that you find yourself caring about as you read.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 26 Feb 2013
This review is from: A LIFETIME BURNING (Kindle Edition)
This is the best book I have read in ages. It is the first one I have bought by this author, and I have immediately purchased another one. Cannot wait to read it .

4.0 out of 5 stars questions..., 11 Dec 2012
Mrs. M. Cline (kent England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A LIFETIME BURNING (Kindle Edition)
Took a while to get engrossed in this but am now hooked and wish I had more time to read! Subject matter is at times very uncomfortable but it certainly forces you to questions your prejudices/ preconceptions about religion, sexuality, incest and the forces of nature/nurture.

5.0 out of 5 stars Something different, 16 Oct 2012
This review is from: A LIFETIME BURNING (Kindle Edition)
I downloaded this book with no idea what it was about, which is just as well as I may not have read it if I had known. The reviews were good so I gave it a go. I wanted something different to the usual choc lit happy ending stuff that is so prevalent at the moment. It is very well written and I will certainly be reading more from this author.

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›