5.0 out of 5 stars super book, 13 Feb 2012
This is a fascinating book about the great Stan Anderson. His experiences are well worth reading. I was particularly fascinated by his experience at Sunderland when the maximum wage was abolished. Amazing!

5.0 out of 5 stars easy read, 18 Feb 2012
J. Maughan "jacko" (tyne & wear. UK) - See all my reviews
I really enjoyed this book, if perhaps, it was a little early for me in most cases,but saying that it was really good and easy read. very much given to detail I found, but it makes for excellent reading.If you are or were a Sunderland fan it's a must.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Unique Footballer, 1 Mar 2011
Kevin Taylor (Hinckley, England) - See all my reviews
Stan Anderson was my boyhood hero - he had great ability with real style. If he had been born in a different period when Bobby Moore did not reign supreme he would have been an England regular. Jim Baxter, who also played for Sunderland, is often thought of as being world class but I believe that Stan was just as good. I have met Stan on a number of occasions in the recent past and he is a real gentleman. His book covers a time now gone in the north east where he played for the big three and it is a unique story that anyone with an interest in this period, area or the clubs should read.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Read, 19 Dec 2010
An informative and thoroughly entertaining look back at the way football used to be played and managed before money became the driving force that changed the game, its a matter of opinion wether that change has been for the better, this book takes us back half a century and gives us an insight into the heroes and villians of the era.

Particularly entertaining are what Stan tells us about his early years and family, growing up in colliery village with four brothers, a hard working mother, and a miner father who was rather fond of a drink which was probably typical of most families living in a mining area.

Very enjoyable read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating look back at a great player's career, 18 Aug 2013
G. Brack - See all my reviews
It was a mystery to many of us why Stan only played twice for England, and why Sunderland let him go when he still had much to give. The book is interesting when it takes us behind the scenes and discusses figures of football's past. It reminds us of a time when directors put themselves in better hotels and gave themselves deals to supply the team kit. If the book has a weakness perhaps there's a little too much of the "then we beat Bolton but we lost to Preston" sort of listing of things we already knew, but that's a small criticism. Well worth reading, especially if you lived through hose times.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for those who watched SAFC in the 50s and 60s, 26 Mar 2013
Easy to read, keeps your interest. Although it could benefit from a few more pictures, those included are of good quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars A true insight of the real game back in the day when football was a passion, 21 Nov 2012
Mr. A. Sherratt "shezz" (england) - See all my reviews
Although I am not an avid football fanatic I do like to read the history of the game, Stan Anderson,s captain of the north delivers a good insight into the game back in the day when they played the game with passion where money wasn't an issue, a good read thanks

5.0 out of 5 stars Great all round read., 24 Feb 2012
A good read about one of our great players. It's just a shame he wasn't given more England caps. But this was a time of no subs and managers tended to stick with the same eleven for long periods. In this day and age he'd have had many more caps. I'd recommend this book for all football fans especially fans of the big three from the northeast.
Even though Stan is my cousin his football record speaks for itself and the book is a good insight into a fooballers life and money (!or lack of it!) at this time.

Stan Anderson: Captain of the north