4.0 out of 5 stars intelligence/spy thriller
Initially ,I was unsure whether I would read this tale of intelligence work as I found it difficult to 'like' the main protagonist. But I persevered and soon reached the stage where I did not want to put the book down.a Well crafted tale of British Intelligence work and the uneasy relationship with US (andother) intelligence agencies,plus treachery.Worth the effort...
Published 15 months ago by easyreader

3.0 out of 5 stars Good background material
Historical facts, rumour and gossip from the Cold War period provide background for this tale.
Although the central character would seem to have more influence on events than is credible, it is a well written story and worth a 'read.'
Published 11 months ago by para3drop

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 7 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 5 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Midnight Swimmer (Kindle Edition)
Moves along well though occasionally confusing with so many characters.

Can't give it 5* though - contemporary language such as "iconic" and "mood music" in a novel set in the 1960s jars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Drawn In., 3 Dec 2013
I. Pitcher (Malacca,MALAYSIA.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Midnight Swimmer (Kindle Edition)
A story in the Le Carre style.With no frills,just the no doubt cold ruthless world of British Espionage.and the self serving world of Whitehall.

3.0 out of 5 stars complex spy thriller, 20 July 2013
This review is from: The Midnight Swimmer (Kindle Edition)
A little too much of the internal intelligence abbrieviations and spy language. Assumes you know a lot about how these things work. First half was quite difficult and hard going but got more drawn in by the second half.

4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing intrigue, 14 May 2012
bomble "bomble" (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Midnight Swimmer, The (Paperback)
A great plot; a richly researched historical context; a nestful of hatching conspiracy theories and plausible secret shenanigans... What more could you want in a spy thriller? Well a good spy I suppose - and Wilson's Catesby is just the job.

I won't claim that this is going to be the most memorable book I'll have read this year but I was one of the more entertaining. It's not all that long in page count but I think I must have subconsciously slowed down my reading pace to give me longer to savour the twists and turns of this highly readable slice of escapism.

I just hope that not too much of it was true!

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic read, 21 Mar 2012
TonyD "biotone" (Up North) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really enjoyed this book, to the extent it has made me want to go and order the others that Wilson has written (and I have just added them to my Kindle collection).
He has the knack of blending a totally believable fictitious character into historical events, interacting with the key players of the time, and he does it seamlessly, to the extent that you find yourself wondering; "Is this what REALLY happened during the Cuban missile crisis?".
I won't bore you with a plot synopsis, but this is a well crafted, thoroughly enjoyable and very readable book, and comes highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars midnight swimmer, 2 Mar 2012
R. Gardner "Corriebob" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I thought this was a cracking book, right from the first to last page it's exceptionally well told and written, All to do with the the secret services in UK, USA and other countries, Set at the time of the Cuba crisis with Kennedy being elected president. I found it skillfully worked the main character into the story with the main players of the time, It's written very tightly, I felt that there was an element of 'Tinker Taylor' in quality the way it way told but with pace, slightly dispassionate as you never really know the centre character completely, learning just a bit at a time about him as the story progresses, as in all these things he has to make a choice between country and personal relationships, you also get the impression that the author has some inside info as to the workings of MI5. Never over the top and as a result it doesn't get bogged down as some stories do. highly recommended...

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 17 July 2014
This review is from: The Midnight Swimmer (Kindle Edition)
Interesting, believable, a mixture of fact and fiction. Something quite different and enjoyable

4.0 out of 5 stars Too close to call, 25 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Midnight Swimmer (Kindle Edition)
I have just discovered Edward Wilson and really wish he would write more.

He sets most of his plots in 1950s-60s UK intelligence circles and in detail and close observation reminds me of Alan Furst.

This book is set around the Cuban Missile Crisis and is very emphatic about the very close call Europe and the UK had in a nuclear conflagration. This account is very real to me, dramatic and brilliantly narrated in the novel - scary in real time 1960s Britain when i was active in CND.

A compelling novel written with just the right amount of tension much of which reflects the truth about the then MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction) strategy being pursued by the USA & USSR.

5.0 out of 5 stars gripping thriller, 26 Feb 2012
Mondoro (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book is a brilliant, nail biting spy thriller set in the sixties when the world really did come close to annihilation during the Cuban Missile crisis. The characters are so well drawn and the various events are so close to what you imagine could really have been happening at the time that you find yourself all but believing that the author's take on the Cold War is actually a true historical account of what really happened. I have never read a better summary of the Cold War in any textbook than when Wilson's hero Catesby's thinks to himself that what [page 250-1] `made the Cold War so dangerous was that the Russians were playing chess and the Americans poker. The Russians deployed an elaborate defence with layers of deceit to protect their vital squares. The Americans responded with upping antes, calling bluffs and flexing muscles." I hope however that observing this book reads like a historical document will not put anyone off reading it for fear it might be dull. This is such a gripping `un-put-down-able" read that the fact that it is historically intriguing as well is an extra bonus.[what's not to love in the reason suggested for why Marylyn Monroe sang `Happy Birthday Mr President'!!] The author is helped in his quest to make the twists and turns of his plot convincing because he is able to draw events in the sixties which have only become widely known in the last few years. At that time most of us didn't know about JFK's insatiable womanising [I love one young woman's description of sex with JFK as the best 30 seconds of her life!] and whilst we may have suspected how very close the world came to nuclear war during the Cuban Missile crisis we didn't have nearly as much information as insiders [ like the book's hero Catesby] had at the time. I liked the fact that Wilson doesn't bang the drum for any particular side - he makes the Russians, Cubans[particularly Che and Castro] as well as Robert Kennedy into likeable human beings. It was great to read a novel in which the author shows the rights and wrongs of both sides of the Cold War divide. I do wonder if at times the author credits his reader with more knowledge than perhaps s/he has? - To take one example Catesby's car ride with an `MP' and his wife 'Valerie' - would a reader younger than myself [I was old enough to read newspapers in the sixties!] automatically realise this was John Profumo and wife? I thoroughly enjoyed this book and recommend it unreservedly to anyone who enjoys a really gripping story. fjs

5.0 out of 5 stars It makes you think, 25 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Midnight Swimmer (Kindle Edition)
This is the first time I have read any of Edward Wilsons books but it will not be the last, it is extremely well written with characters you can empathise with, I was gripped within the first 10 pages and found it dificult to put down, it's a book that makes you think, what if, if you like this genre then make sure you read this book.

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 7 | Next ›