4.0 out of 5 stars Just as good as book one!
**Spoilers if you haven't read Eve**

As soon as I finished Eve late Saturday night, I picked Once up straight away because after that ending, I had to know what was going to happen I'm so pleased to say, Once is a fantastic sequel - if not even better than Eve and once again, Anna Carey leaves me completely breathless with that killer ending.

After...
Published on 15 Aug 2012 by Book Passion for Life

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than the first book in the series.
(I was given a free copy of this book by the publisher for review)

Despite my misgivings about this series (of which there are many) I was surprisingly happy to be back in Anna Carey's world. Eve was not amazing, it was not a book that I raved about but it felt comfortable to be back and I got through Once pretty quickly.

On the whole I was pretty...
Published on 3 July 2012 by Kate Phillips

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than the first book in the series., 3 July 2012
Kate Phillips "Kate" (Southampton, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Once: An Eve Novel (Kindle Edition)
(I was given a free copy of this book by the publisher for review)

On the whole I was pretty surprised with what Once had to offer. I personally think that it was much better than the first book in the series the plot was a lot more complex and took a surprising turn right at the beginning of the book which lead Eve to places I never thought she would go. I can't say much because that would mean giving a whole lot away so I will just say that things changed dramatically and Once went in a completely different direction to Eve.

As always Anna Carey's writing is good. He world building is brilliant and it is not hard to visualize her dystopian and struggling world. I think this Once shows a more brutal and desperate America than Eve did which was great as I finally felt some emotional response to what the women in this series are going through, something that I struggled with in Eve.
Unfortunately the one thing that hasn't changed from the first one book to this one is the characters. Eve is still floating along pretty oblivious to everything. She is so gullible that you can't really feel sorry for her when things go wrong. She seems to lack common sense and believes anything she is told even from people who have proven they cannot be trusted.

Caleb, who I quite liked in the first book seemed to only be around when Eve needed to push her physical and sexual boundaries with someone. He did provide a push to the story line towards the end but he was not physically around for it. I thought this was a shame because he was one of the stronger characters from the first book.

Another character who is sorely missed is Arden who is around for moments only. She was my favourite character from the first book and her dry humour and sarcastic attitude was missed. I hope that her character comes back in the third book as things were left in a bad place for her in this one.

We are introduced to some new characters, the king of New America and Charles being the most prominent. Like all the other characters in this series they were ok but left me feeling a little cold.

One thing that Anna Carey is amazing at is endings. Eve ended on a massive cliff hanger that made it impossible for me not to pick up Once. This books ending is even bigger with a massive twist that I didn't see coming thrown in as well. There is no way that I won't be reading the next instalment of this series not because I love them because I don't, they are ok, but because I just have to know how things end.

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than its predecessor, 29 Aug 2012
elmsyrup (Cardiff, Glamorgan United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I assume most people considering this book will have read its predecessor, Eve. I found that book slightly irritating with its bland, cipher-like main character. Her love interest was rather identikit too. In the second book of the series, Eve remains rather naive and affectless but does gain some bite and personality. The situation in which she finds herself becomes a bit more interesting and original. In my review of the first book, I wrote: "no doubt the sinister City, and the friends Eve has had to leave behind along the way, will be visited in more detail in the subsequent volumes." This did turn out to be the case, and adds depth and scope to the world within these pages. If you have read the first, you might as well read this one too, although it isn't amazing, and there are better dystopias out there. I might even read the third, since this one showed significant improvement and there are tantalising hints at this novel's conclusion that the resistance movement is soon to get very heated.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just as good as book one!, 15 Aug 2012
Book Passion for Life (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
**Spoilers if you haven't read Eve**

After the shocking events in Eve, Eve is now safe in the lands of Califia. Unfortunately Caleb wasn't granted access because he is a male but even though he's gone, Eve can't stop thinking of him. She loves him and she would do anything to see him again. When she hears about a stray being hurt in the wild, she knows it's Caleb and sets out to rescue him. However, once she arrives, she finds out it's a trap and she's soon on her way to meet the King. Once their Eve uncovers a shocking secret - one that changes her future forever but with Caleb still not far from her mind and the opportunity arises to see him again, she takes it...putting her at risk once again.

What a great sequel! I always get nervous with sequel's because I've read so many lately that honestly, have been such a let down but not Once. Once is a heart-wrenching, jaw-dropping book, full of touching and heart-warming scenes. I didn't think it would be possible to love Eve and Caleb any more but in this book, you can't help love them more. The trials they are put through are hard and emotional and by the end of the book, I was a mess. I cried and literally screamed by the end of the book. Prepare to have tissue's with you.

Anna Carey has done a fantastic job taking this series to a place I never thought she would. It's shocking, thrilling, captivating and I've already told you how emotional it is, but it's a series you must read! If you love Dystopia novel's then pick this series up now!

4.0 out of 5 stars <3, 8 Feb 2014
This review is from: Once: An Eve Novel (Kindle Edition)
I hate the ending more than the third divergent novel but Rise makes it all better eventually the eve trillogy is amazing I love it!

2.0 out of 5 stars Characters break it, 23 Jan 2014
Dwayne @ Girls Without a Bookshelf (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I LOVE dystopian novels. This one fits right in, what with its almost apocalyptic setting, truly despicable monarch and a band of revolutionists intent on wrecking havoc within the regime. Apart from the setting (the more horrifying, the better it seems, for most dystopian novels), it is the characters and the writing that makes a dystopian YA - sadly, Once doesn't really cut it for me. Writing just is not on par with the likes of Collins and Roth. Eve is err - stupid. And so is Caleb. I mean, one is bad enough. But both the heroine and the hero?? For the most part I have asked myself, how, HOW will these two pull of such a plan? If you have the patience, by all means read and find out. But personally, there are better dystopian books out there and whilst this can fill your dystopian hunger, it's not something that will stick with you.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant,futuristic,adventure story, 13 Dec 2013
This review is from: Once: An Eve Novel (Kindle Edition)
This story and the other two in the trilogy are all easy to read and the story flows really well.They have something for everyone,action,romance,suspence and lots ofadventure at a fast pace.I would recommend the age about 15 plus as some content may not be appropriate for a younger reader. They are hugely enjoyable and a great read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Once, 29 Nov 2013
This review is from: Once: An Eve Novel (Kindle Edition)
Like the title says "once is never enough" I've not put this book down since I got it and can't wait to read the 3rd one.

3.0 out of 5 stars A twisted Cinderella story crossed with a future dystopia, 29 Oct 2013
Roman Clodia (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
With elements of a twisted Cinderella story merged with a teen dystopia this has a good plot but somehow the writing makes the whole thing feel a bit flat, predictable and unexciting.

Set in 2031, in a New America post a virulent plague which has destroyed much of life as we know it, this picks up the story from Eve. Hunted by the King's troops, Eve is brought to the Palace in the City of Sand where she finds out a secret about her past, and meets Caleb again.

This follows a pretty derivative story-line: a repressive regime ruled over by a king, renegades and outlaws plotting a revolution, Eve meeting her one-and-only true love. Plenty of books juggle these plot elements but what makes or breaks a book (or series) is whether or not the author has managed to imbue the whole thing with energy and characters we really care about - sadly Carey hasn't quite managed it. Eve and Caleb are identikit characters with no personality or chemistry, and the world-building/setting feels as limp and fake as the Las Vegas setting (`City of Sand'), complete with a romantic gondola ride in an imitation Venice.

Sadly, despite the manipulations of the plot, there is little sense of risk, danger, or anything much being at stake here. This is fine as a time-filler/commute read but is decidedly B-list in comparison to Throne of Glass or the Divergent trilogy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Oh Dear .., 17 Sep 2013
There are very few books where I have not liked the main character, and this is one of them.

Eve has been a whiny, annoying and rude person and if I could have then I would have happily given her a smack upside her head !!

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 23 April 2013
Amazing story with an amazing shock near the end. Brilliant and cant wait for the next book. Very pleased with it!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›