4.0 out of 5 stars A great interpretation of a classic book
Published 21 months ago by Derek Humphries

2.0 out of 5 stars Stiff and stagy
Faithful to the original, yet rather stiff, stagy and poorly furnished and costumed BBC screen adaption of James' verbose and venomous short novel, a text probably unfit as source material for a good movie or tele script (quod erat demonstrandum: new effort by Andrew Davies supposedly TBA)
Published on 17 May 2012 by Paul Esterhazy

4.0 out of 5 stars A great interpretation of a classic book, 27 Nov 2012
This review is from: Spoils of Poynton [DVD] (DVD)
For those of you who prefer to watch a drama than struggle with the verbose Victorian style of script, this is a well portrayed BBC drama. I remember when it was screened on TV in the 1990s and the captivating story has always lingered with me after all these years. I was delighted to be able to procure my own DVD copy. When watching this drama, one has to accept that this is an on-screen play and the style of acting more akin to watching a theatre production where the cast seem to be projecting themselves to an audience. If you can accommodate this form of presentation, then it is an absorbing story. I found myself reflecting on the story long after watching it ... around twenty years to be more precise!

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic James, 14 Sep 2013
This review is from: Spoils of Poynton [DVD] (DVD)
Faithfully follows the book - pretty well all the dialogue - and is typical of James' moral angst and his unwillingness to have an artificial predictable ending.

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy!, 20 May 2013
David A. Novak "David Novak" (Lorain, Ohio) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spoils of Poynton [DVD] (DVD)
I remember watching this film version of the "Spoils of Poynton" as a young man. It is a wonder to see it without the commericals. The DVDs arrived in perfect condition. Thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful play on human feelings., 14 Mar 2014
George A. Nott (Balerno. Scotland. U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spoils of Poynton [DVD] (DVD)
I remember seeing this play on television-it must be some thirty years ago-and it has remained in my memory since then.
Over the years I have checked its availability on DVD, but have been disappointed until now.
Wonderful to now have it "on the shelf", and superbly transferred from the original tapes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Henry James, 23 Nov 2012
This review is from: Spoils of Poynton [DVD] (DVD)
It is unfortunate that there are no happy ending in any of H James novels which is dissappointing for us in the 21st century who have grown up with happy endings. I saw the Spoils of Poynton many years ago and was enthusiastic to see it again. However, I find I simply don't have the courage to see the ending now it is so sad and unfair. So I'm waiting for a day when I'm in a good mood. However, it seems that novels at that time had to make people miserable - just see Mrs Wharton's work

2.0 out of 5 stars Stiff and stagy, 17 May 2012

Spoils of Poynton [DVD]
Spoils of Poynton [DVD] by Peter Sasdy (DVD - 2012)
13.99