5.0 out of 5 stars Illumine book 1
Published on 10 Jan 2012 by harvestmoon

2.0 out of 5 stars Not my Thing
This is definitely a Young Adult read. I found a lot of the writing rushed and some of the scenes just too rushed for me to understand fully what was going on. The characters and the evil baddy's were just too one dimensional for me to care. A major character dies and I feel nothing.
Published 7 months ago by bookworm

5.0 out of 5 stars Illumine book 1, 10 Jan 2012
This review is from: Illumine (The Illumine Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
An interesting and totally absorbing start to a series that promises great things. The story of Esselie finding out about her destiny and who and what she is has been well thought through and well written. I was a little disappointed with some of the editing but it did not detract from a thoroughly good read. Can't wait for the next book in the series as this could prove to be one of those series that will go from strength to strength.

Well worth a read........

4.0 out of 5 stars A great surprise, 19 Nov 2012
Kate Phillips "Kate" (Southampton, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Illumine (The Illumine Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This book took me completely by surprise. I wasn't expecting much at all but I ended up really, really enjoying it.

The opening is gripping and lets you know straight away that you are in for one hell of a ride. This is a very different take on the angel genre and I liked the spin. This book felt fresh and new. The storyline is ace; it was never boring and never slow. It had a couple of silly moments but those were few and far between and they didn't detract from the story at all.

The characters are awesome. Essallie is a great lead she can be tough and strong but she had weaknesses to which I like to see in my books as nobody is perfect. Kayden is brilliant I really liked him. you are never really sure what his motives are or what he is about, you know he is not a `good' guy but it is impossible to dislike him. There is a touch of romance here, a very small touch yet I found myself getting all worked up over it.

Illumine is one of the surprises of the year for me. it is short, exciting and engaging. I highly recommend it. I cannot wait to get stuck into the next book in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read..., 16 Jan 2014
This review is from: Illumine (The Illumine Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
...I was not expecting it to end as & where it did but now I'm hooked. Got to get the next book & keep reading!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not my Thing, 21 Dec 2013
This review is from: Illumine (The Illumine Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
However it does have some promise and it's not by along shot the worst free book I've got.
Maybe a younger reader would enjoy it more.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent read for teens, 11 Aug 2013
This review is from: Illumine (The Illumine Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
My mum recommended this book to me and from page 1 I was hooked. The detail and description in this book makes you feel as if you are alongside Essallie through all her emotional turmoil and I love Essallies' and Kaydens' relationship it is such a love hate relationship could anything ever become of it I cannot wait to read the rest of the series I would definitely recommend this book to my friends and other teens.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast paced thriller, 4 Feb 2013
This review is from: Illumine (The Illumine Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
"Illumine" by Alivia Anders is the first in the Ilumine Series and is a hell of a start to it. The protagonist Essallie has her world turned upside down when her own boyfriend Chase delivers her to a demon called Kayden, for her to be part of a cult ritual ceremony. She escaped and seeks refuge with her parents in Maine but not only is she hunted by nightmare visions but also by the return of Kayden into her life, an ambiguous figure to say the least.
Essallie, or Essie, herself seems to have supernatural abilities that start to have an effect on her as we progress in the story and Kayden might be able to help.
This is very well written, fast paced and a roller coaster of emotions for Essallie and the reader. Probably aimed at younger readers this is just as enjoyable for any fan of paranormal thrillers.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read, 27 Jan 2013
This review is from: Illumine (The Illumine Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This book is definitely a must read for anyone who enjoys the supernatural world.

After nearly being killed in a demonic ritual, Essalie's life is turned upside down.
Soon Essalie discovers all is not what it seems, or rather everyone is not who they seem. Essalie should know, she has just found out that she is a Nephilim and she was made to become part of an army of war.

I definitely cannot wait to read book 2.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 30 Sep 2012
Calin Bianca (Thessaloniki,Greece) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Illumine (The Illumine Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I received this book free from Alivia in exchange of a honest review.

I really , really enjoyed this book. When I first saw it, I knew it will be a gret read. And I also knew that I will fall in love with the Kayden. And I did.

"Illumine" is a very easy read. Without many description that can get you bored and a special style-writing , Alivia Anders knows how to captivate her readers. I like the plot very much because it was full of surprises. There was always something that made me turn out the page. I loved this thing.

I liked the characters. Especially Kayden. He is the bad boy type, but I bet that every reader loved him. I think I liked this book so much because of him, but don't tell anybody! I loved that the author decided to include a lot of mythical creatures in this book- succubi ,demons,nephilim,shapeshifters and more. I love the books with nephilim because they are special.

The storyline is very good and I loved it. But I found so parts that confused me and I had to read them another time so I can understand them. That's why I rated with 4.5 stars. The story will hook you and , in the end, you will feel like you need more. I hope to read the second book as soon as possible, because, Gosh, I am so eager to read about Kayden again. In the second part of the book, you will be breathless because so many things and secrets are coming out . Some of them will get resolved, some of them will not.

In the conclusion, I recommend this book to everyone. It's an awesome reading and you will love it!

In the beginning, Essie is attacked by her boyfriend and her best friend. They want to trade her to a demon, named Kayden, in exchange of immortality. But somehow, Chase, Essie's boyfriend, dies and the girl escapes.

After a few months, Essie is trying to forget this episode and goes back in Maine, at her parents house. But she still deals with hallucinations from the night when she was about to be killed. And, one day, the demon from that horrible night, Kayden, comes back into her life. He comes to school with Essie and tries to convince her to let him help her. Essie is afraid of him and doesn't trust him, but he stalks her and every friend of Essie knows him. The girl tries to get rid of him, but that's kinda impossible.

In the meanwhile, Essie confronts some strange things. She seems to heat up everytime she hets nervous or her feeling are to strong. This thing scares her very much, and she tries to find out what's going on with her- before it will kill her. Kayden pretends to know how to help her, but the girl is reticent and doesn't trust him. Essie has to find her Watcher (kind of protector) . If she doesn't find him, she will die.Do you think that Essie will find her Watcher and she will handle this ?

5.0 out of 5 stars Illumine, to cast light upon, how true, 17 Sep 2012
Wanda "Wandah Panda" (Pretoria, South Africa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Illumine (The Illumine Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I need a Thesaurus for my reviews these days, saying this is a fresh take was nice the first, oh, 50 times. But now it gets boring. But the truth of the matter is it is a fresh take. It is a tragic one where the author has the strength of character and belief in her story to make some very dicey choices. The mother, mostly in reference is not such a nice woman. Jilted, hurt etc but still not nice. The brother is an amazing character all on his own. His tolerance and his love of family are so real it is almost palpable. The powers, the other world/dimension they are all set to enhance the plot line. But the start. The start of the main characters journey is one gutsy piece of writing. It could have gone wrong; it could have set expectations for the reader. And even if it does that, the author manages to deliver. It is dark enough to grab the attention of a lifelong thriller reader like myself while still being completely age appropriate. I fell in love with the book from the beginning and would advise all paranormal YA lovers to read this book. No reservations held.
I can't wait to read more of this story, luckily I don't need to wait, the second book is already locked and loaded. Good going Alivia.
I received this book via WaAr for an honest review. I loved it, and would recommend it is a nice easy read for all paranormal fiction lovers. It gets a well deserved 5 * review.

5.0 out of 5 stars spellbinding ride! Hold on!, 18 Aug 2012
This review is from: Illumine (The Illumine Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I received this book in exchange for a honest review. ~WaAr~

I want to say what a WOW start! It was action from the start and will have you enthralled. I could not put the riveting, fast paced read down! I love love love that about a book! I love the characters. Essie and Kayden are awesome. I like that I was repulsed by him then I started to really like him toward the end! What a ending too! I'm dying to see what is going to happen to them! What will Kayden do? Can Essie stay alive?
I'm not going to give the story away to anyone! I think you should read this if you want an awesome breathe taking read! I give this a 5 star jumping up and down review!!