5.0 out of 5 stars For anyone in a long relationship
Brillant, for long relationships. It helps in relationship problems as well as understanding the opposite sex.This book is great because it deals with both male and female sides. NOWAY, is this book just for females.So, listen up this book can improve your relationship! Hope you buy this book because you'll be mad not to!
Published on 13 Nov 2001 by Helly

1.0 out of 5 stars Over generalised stereotypical analysis
Yes the author caveats by saying he's made generalisations about gender characteristics but when the whole model of the book is about gender differences, it defeats the object. Thoroughly infuriating read.
Published 9 months ago by SteelWoman

‹ Previous | 1 2 332 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars if you've ever had arguments with your partner, read why!, 28 April 1999
By A Customer
this book is absolutely astounding, it really is worth reading. men and women really are from different planets and this book is the best translater you can buy. i was asked to read this book by my girlfriend and i learned alot about how i got annoyed myself by her responses aswell as her feelings from my reactions. we all react in a defensive mannor to our other halves dissaprovells. this book teaches you how explosive these reactions are and how easy it is to avoid them. i highly reccommend you read this book. by the way the reason i've logged on to this site is because i've lost the book now and if the mrs finds out she'll batter me! can anyone save me and send me their copy?

4.0 out of 5 stars Relationship Bible, 3 Sep 2000
By A Customer
I agree with the reader from Derby that this book is not to be taken too "seriously". Especially by people wishing to repair a failing marriage for example, BUT Men are from Mars has helped me through many tentative moments in my relationships. The book is laid out with easy to find topics to suit every mood which aides in locating just the right response or whatever to suit the occasion. I lent it to a (male) friend who scoffed the concept and now he has bought his own copy. I carry mine everywhere with me just in case! PS Also you should buy the smaller versions "Understanding the man in your life" and "Understanding the woman in your life"

5.0 out of 5 stars Gives a whole new insight as how different men & women are., 6 Dec 2001
By A Customer
In his book John Gray looks at the way men and women differ. How they are in fact very different animals. How men can be silent and quiet at just the time when women need them to talk. How men offer solutions when a women talks to him while she only wants an ear to listen (and I mean listen not pretend to). He explores many other areas where we differ. He lays out step by step methods to improve, repair and set relationships alight. I would suggest that everyone should read it who is in a relationship, whether they think it is good or otherwise.
He also looks at friends, collegues and other relationships.
The 13 chapters look at different parts of relationships, teach how to allow space, time and understanding to relationships. How to communicate, how to resolve conflict, leading to how to avoid conflict. I read it the first time in 3 days. It is a book to re-read there is always something more to gain from the pages.
He explores techniques of letter writing to resolve arguments. They work!
Throughout the book he uses examples from both his personal life and from his practice.
John Gray's writing is easy to read and keeps the reader's interest.
I really have benefited from this fantastic work.
Thank you John.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful indeed!, 15 Jun 2005
By A Customer
This book is amazing! It goes into such detail about how men and women think differently and how and what they hear when their partner speaks to them. Excellent book if you would like to better understand your partner. Just get him to read it too!! I found it really improved my understanding of how my husband thinks. It also helped me to understand myself better and why I think and feel certain ways. It just makes sence! Read this book if your relationship is in any kind of trouble!

4.0 out of 5 stars Truely helpful self help, 25 Jun 2004
A. R. Fletcher (UK) - See all my reviews
There are not many self-help books that I have found touch the fundamental basics of human nature. This book is a godsend for anyone trying to understand their man/woman, it underlines the differences between the way men and women think, once you grasp this it is much easier to understand your partner and where they are coming from. He also highlights the mistakes that we make in relationships by the way that we react to each other, understand and apply his techniques and you will avoid many arguments.
Although in some parts it gets a bit repetative the elements are there. I have read David Grays other books and this is undoubtedly his best.

1.0 out of 5 stars Over generalised stereotypical analysis, 19 Dec 2013
This review is from: Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus: A Practical Guide for Improving Communication and Getting What You Want in Your Relationships: How to Get What You Want in Your Relationships (Kindle Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars essential, supremely useful for any couple, 1 Oct 2012
This is one of the most important books I have ever read. It succintly puts together the reasons why men (basically all men, in any culture) are different from women (all women); why this creates problems of communication in a couple; and what to do about it. I found it fascinating reading and illuminating for its insights. This is a summary table I have written based on the book (sorry it does not appear as a table here because no html is allowed by Amazon. I think it summarizes the main thrust of the argument Gray makes and is spelled out in the video by Paul Dewandre (in French) Les hommes viennent de Mars, les femmes de Venus.

Man:

3) wants to talk about a problem,
4) is emotional,
5) needs attention,
6) needs understanding,
7) is like a garden, wants to be mantained every day no matter what.

4.0 out of 5 stars A must read for any MAN, 2 Aug 2001
By A Customer
As can be seen from other peoples reviews John Gray does have a tendancey to stereo type men & women, but then hey we are all very similiar no matter how different or unique we think we are. This book has helped me to stop 'fixing' my partners life and just be there to listern. I've also learnt how to express myself in ways she will understand better and realised how her love is different to mine - no more scoring points! A very good read for any man who WANTS to understand the general psychology of relationships in order to improve their own relationship. Altougth my partner has not read this publication herself, she has noticed a difference in the way I deal with things and the time I taken to actually listern to her.

4.0 out of 5 stars A GUIDE TO HOW THE 2 SEXES COMMUNICATE WITH EACH OTHER, 20 Feb 2002
By A Customer
Experiencing conflict with the opposite sex, is part and parcel of being in a relationship. We often tend to explain it away, by saying that it is typical 'male' or 'female' behaviour, without seeking solutions.
John Gray, Ph.D, has been counselling couples for over 20 years and uses this simple metaphor from his best selling book, to explain the behavioural differences between men and women. The author shares practical tips on how to use more appropriate communication styles, when interacting with one another and explains how we can embrace these differences. By understanding and adopting these techniques, he demonstrates, using real life situations and even personal examples, how we can all move towards more satisfying and loving relationships.
Purchasing an audio tape was a new experience that I wish to continue exploring in the future, as an alternative to reading text. I enjoyed the flexible benefits of listening to the tape when ever and where ever it was convenient.
This tape contains excellent advice and guidance to those who wish to improve their relationships with their partners and for those who just want to become more effective communicators.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading if you want your relationship to work, 6 Sep 2005
This is the single most helpful book on relationships between men and women that I have ever read (and I've read plenty!). I wish I'd read it years ago, but I'd been a bit put off by the title. John Gray explains the differences between the male and female psyche so clearly. While women long for respect and love and romance, men need to be admired and trusted and appreciated. We keep giving each other what WE want, not what they want, then wonder why it doesn't work out. I can't thank John Gray enough for this book - it really has transformed my life.

‹ Previous | 1 2 332 | Next ›