5.0 out of 5 stars outstanding compilation
Published on 16 Feb 2012 by Miss M. Potter

3.0 out of 5 stars Great selection but...
Published on 20 May 2012 by flowmotion

5.0 out of 5 stars outstanding compilation, 16 Feb 2012
Miss M. Potter "marcia" (england) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Be My Baby (Audio CD)
This has to be one of the best compilation albums of pop tracks. The concept is basic in terms of "girls of the sixties" but the selection of tracks and the variety of artists is truly excellent. The choices of tracks is very good and the running order is just right. There are the very famous tracks which you would expect and the other ones that you know but just may not remember who they are by.
They have cheated slightly though, Some of the tracks are actually from the 1970s.
The Three Degrees and When Will I see you again, Gladys Knight and Baby don't change your mind as well as Lynn Anderson and Rose Garden are all connected with the seventies but to be fair it doesn't matter since they all have their roots in the sixties.
The 3CD set is nicely presented in gatefold CD trays with good artwork.
I would reccommend this set to anyone interested in 60s pop music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superbly Compiled., 25 Jan 2012
This review is from: Be My Baby (Audio CD)
If you had to compile this yourself you may get about a quarter of the tracks right but there's no need to do so, this has been put together with expert precision.
The songs are all classics and they capture the very best of 1960s girl groups and female solo artists. It makes you want to go back to the 60s if it was possible.
Try this album if you don't have much 60s music or if you are looking for something romantic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic 60's as you Remember Them, 27 Jan 2012
Raymond (DAVENTRY, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Be My Baby (Audio CD)
Just received this today and can already say It's great, its the Sixties music just how it sounded back then, A Great Buy!
Don't let this one pass you by, get it now!
The only disappointing thing for me is.. it comes in one of those Gate Fold case's and there are no History Notes or booklet with info.
Still a Fantastic Set of (3) CD's

5.0 out of 5 stars A Rose Garden Of Hits, 24 Feb 2012
This review is from: Be My Baby (Audio CD)
What can I say about this compilation?So far this year its the best collection I've heard.Its a winner from start to finish,with amazing songs by singers such as Clodagh Rodgers,Fontella Bass,Lynn Anderson,Lesley Gore,Doris Day....the list goes on.

These songs are uplifting,immortal and utterly irresistable to hear.The passage of time has undimmed their power.Standout tracks include Rescue Me,Move Over Darling,River Deep Mountain High(oh the shivers that washed down my spine listening to that one!),and for me the highlight track - Ketty Lester's Love Letters.A REAL song,infused with such beauty and passion that it is hard to find words to describe it.

Twenty-three tracks make up this 3 CD package and they're all worth hearing.

A thoroughly golden listen.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just superb,that's all, 22 Feb 2012
This review is from: Be My Baby (Audio CD)
Absolutely tremendous,I had forgotten some of the recordings,but hearing them again reminded me of how good these ladies were,go and buy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Marvellous collection, BUT..., 28 Mar 2012
Peter Kodada "Dottore" (Slovakia, Europe) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Be My Baby (Audio CD)
The song selection is very good, and the programming is also well chosen. However what disturbs me is the volume of the tracks. I would expect that a standard record company would equalize the volume of the tracks (some SW use the term "normalize" but I do not know whether that indicates only volume adjustment) - so that Millie Small's Lollipop is quiet and The Supremes jump almost out of the speakers with "You Can't Hurry Love".

I have several compilations from EMI (R.I.P) where the sound variability came from differences between remastered/non-remastered rather than from volume not-adjustment.
The sound is crisp here, probably the tracks were remastered, but this volume volatilities are annoying. If they would spent that extra hour on doing this right the compilation would have been worth 99 stars.

This is the new 'EMI-meets-Sony' world? I know that this is not Ace nor Bear Family, but come on engineers - be a bit more proffessional.

4.0 out of 5 stars Be my baby cd., 23 Mar 2012
J. E. Baird - See all my reviews
This review is from: Be My Baby (Audio CD)
There is a fantastic variety of old songs on these CDs . Wonderful music from a great era . It is a great , cheery sing-along to cd and good value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super music, 21 Mar 2012
This review is from: Be My Baby (MP3 Download)
Being a senior citizen I remember all of these songs from their original release date.
I have to say they are as good to hear now as they were all those years ago.
An exceptionally good choice of tracks and a delight to listen to. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars great oldies, 5 Feb 2012
This review is from: Be My Baby (Audio CD)
As usual with these type of compilations, there is some wonderful stuff, but it includes some songs that weren't hits iin the UK.
Strange there is nothing by Carla Thomas, Timi Yuro, Brenda Holloway, Darlene Love and several other great singers here.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great selection but..., 20 May 2012
This review is from: Be My Baby (Audio CD)
This is a fabulous collection at a reasonable price.I'm not one who thinks cd's are always inferior to vinyl,but as is the case with a lot of sixties music on cd the sound has been filtered,cleaned up,compressed,processed or whatever the technical word for it is.From a purely personal point of view it sounds muted and clipped and lacks the resonance of the original records,many of which I still have.
So I have to say I was again dissapointed by the inability of technicians to retain the original magic of those sixties records.This problem doesn't seem so prevalent in other forms of music like Jazz or Classical,strangely.

Be My Baby