2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 14 April 2012
maz (Worcester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Swan SP18010CDWM Come Dine With Me Soup Maker (Kitchen & Home)
This is the third soup machine that I have owned and was really looking forward to using it as my last one broke (I make a lot of soup!) My last was one good but I thought I would try a different one this time, but, I have wasted my money and will probably end up buying my old one again. It fails for the following reasons:

1. The noise is ridiculously loud. I don't mind beeping, but this beeps at everything and loudly.
2. When you whiz the soup it comes flying out of the spout! The first time I did this I ended up with green mush up the walls!
3. There is no timer so you have no idea how much cooking time is left. This would be fine if it just turned off when it finished cooking, but it doesn't and continues beeping loudly until you can get to it.
4. The functionality of it is generally limited. I am used to being able to set the timer for how long I want the soup to cook for, what consistency I would like, i.e. smooth or chunky, or at what heat level, i.e. low, medium or high, but all you can do with this is press the 'soup' button and start praying.

On the positive side, the filter in the middle does ensure that the soup is really smooth.

Being associated with 'Come Dine with me' I expected better things, but I was wrong. I would not invite anyone to dinner using this machine. The noise alone would ruin the night.

1.0 out of 5 stars save money on this - buy a decent food processor and cook your soup in a pan., 24 Nov 2012
M. J. Harkett (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
Having initially laughed at friends for having a soupmaker - I mean, what is a pan for? - I fell for the sales pitch and the special offer. How gullible am I? I should have looked at the previous Amazon review first, but it didn't occur to me. My issues (which I have written to Swan about, and received the courtesy of no reply) are these:

1. The electronic beep is unnaturally loud.
2. If you thought the beep was loud, wait till you hear the blades attempting to chop the vegetables.
3. Swan like you stay with the machine at all times, in which case why is more than 1 ear shattering beep necessary? Be sure to take ear plugs!and keep the kitchen door closed and persons and pets of a nervous disposition, or anybody attempting to watch tv, at a great distance. I am not exaggerating.
4. In order to get your soup smooth you have to chop your veg into very tiny pieces - best done with a food processor. Well, if you do this first, where's the need for a noisy soupmaker?
5. The Swan has a metal foil cylindrical filter that sits on top of the blades. You put the water outside the foil in the jug and the chopped veg and seasoning inside the foil. Even when you're making the minimum soup (500ml water) you can't get all the veg inside the foil, so you have to stand over it, adding more in as the level drops, so best to put the veg that takes longest to cook in first, you'd think. Swan give you some guidance with a mushroom and onion soup to start you off. Actually, this was divine..... but when it came to the 2nd recipe my lack of a quality food processor meant the pieces were too large, they stuck in the filter, the blades whirred on next to nothing and the soup was dreadful.....and had to be cooked up properly in a pan on the hob and then it was delicious.
6. The blades sit on top of the heating element, which needs to be kept scrupulously clean. To make sure of this Swan provide you with a clever little brush for dodging round the blades when you're doing the washing up afterwards. YOU, no dishwashers allowed here. They also give you a plastic pusher for moving your veg down the filter. There comes a point where the veg compacts if the pieces are either very tiny or not tiny enough. Since the blades face downwards the veg has to have landed in a very small gap where the blades can chop it up and move it around into the main jug to swirl around and merge with the water. Complex, huh? On top of this, as time goes on (25 mins total)the veg near the blades softens with the heated water and clogs anyway and the pusher doesn't reach as far as the blades. So you're doomed.....unless you can live on mushroom and onion soup.
7. The stupidest point of all. This box comes labelled "Come Dine with Me" To justify the higher price tag of the ordinary soupmaker which seems to be the same size and power for substantially less money, you get a few silver stars, a few shoddy paper items and a "Come Dine With Me" recipe book with some rather nifty recipes - all of which give instructions for cooking your soup in a pan on the hob.

So, in short, if you want a machine to make your soup, look elsewhere, or be prepared to help the machine along, because it really isn't up to it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Find other ways to spend your money., 21 Jan 2014
This can not compare to the traditional method of preparing soup. At best flavoured water. At worst, no flavour at all. A total waste of money