5.0 out of 5 stars Another brilliant hard drive.
Published 6 months ago by BewareTheWater

1.0 out of 5 stars Excellent then failed. Warranty impossible
Intially superb - fast, compact so I bought another one.

One has just failed after 2 months of very light use - it no longer works under USB3 but will on USB 2 (bizarre). Same on several computers. I suspect the hard drive is ok but the USB side of things has failed.

Published 7 months ago by Ray1

5.0 out of 5 stars Another brilliant hard drive., 5 Nov. 2014
My 5th Toshiba hard drive as they have never let me down. This new design is smaller and looks nicer than the old one and is so extremely quiet. It was as simple as plug and play so can't fault it at all. Not sure what all the gripes about the cable supplied with these hard drives is because as far as I'm aware they are just standard USB 3.0 cables, and if it is too short (it is over 20cm) you can buy a new one from ebay for a couple of pounds or just get an extender.
Basically a brilliant hard drive for a brilliant price can't moan at that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Compact Slim device…., 31 July 2014
This is a great looking slim hard drives, which is really fast and holds a huge amout of storage. I have managed to back-up all my photos, music and films on one drive which is brilliant. As expected from a brand like Toshiba, the quailty of this product is great!! 5 Star hard drive!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, 2 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Toshiba HDTB107EK3AA 750GB Stor.E Basics USB 3.0 2.5 Inch External Hard Drive - Black (Personal Computers)
I received this Toshiba external storage very quickly and was surprised at how small it is. This was to replace a 6 year old Toshiba storage box, (which had failed) which was very large and needed a power supply to connect.

When I looked at the box it said the requirements were Windows XP/VISTA/windows 7 & 8, however I have an Imac, so was not sure it would work.

As there is nothing to install I just had to connect the USB cable to the back of my Mac, it took about half an hour to download all my files. All my files are now safely stored on the drive and I can view and print from them.

So it does work with an IMac.

I have now purchased the case as I don't need to keep it permanently connected to my Mac and want it to be kept safe.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable - External Hard Disk Drive., 14 Jan. 2015
Paul E (Derbyshire (UK)) - See all my reviews
Synopsis:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This Toshiba drive is super-quick at USB 3.0 data rates and also works at slower USB 2.0 rates without any issues. It's very quiet in operation and doesn't get very warm after extended use. I've already used half of it's storage capacity and haven't encountered any problems. The supplied USB / power cable is good quality and gives a solid and reliable electrical connection between the hard drive unit and computer.

The drive is supplied ready-formatted with the NTFS file system as used by MS Windows, but can be re-formatted to the HFS+ file system for Mac compatibility. I've used this Toshiba drive mainly with a PC running MS Windows 7 at USB 2.0/3.0 speeds. It's also been used with MS Windows XP and MS Windows Vista (at USB 2.0 speeds only).

Recommended product....

Supplementary Information:

Looking at reviews of portable external hard disk drives, it seems most of the well-known hard disk drive manufacturers, e.g. - Seagate, Western Digital, Samsung and Toshiba etc. produce quality, reliable and high-performance drives. There will be some failures with drives from all of these manufacturers, this is inevitable, especially as these particular external drives are more vulnerable to mechanical shock.

2.5 inch internal hard drives, such as those fitted inside laptops, seem to be quite reliable from my experience. I'm still using a Toshiba Satellite Pro on a daily basis and it's around six years old now. The Toshiba's 2.5 inch internal drive has worked flawlessly throughout this period. This very fact influenced my decision to purchase this Toshiba 500GB USB 3.0 external hard disk drive.

Due to the high rotational speed and very close-tolerances used within a hard disk drive such as this Toshiba, it's very important to minimise any physical movement of the drive, especially when the unit is powered-up and working. Sudden movement 'G forces' may well cause data corruption and could result in the drive having to be reformatted (with a total loss of data).

My solution to prevent external drives from moving around unintentionally, is to stick adhesive-backed Velcro tape to the disk drive case and to the location where the disk drive will reside (top of the PC case etc). Secure the disk drive firstly by pressing both Velcro surfaces together and then plug the cable into the USB port. Always disconnect the unit safely via. software before pulling out the USB plug.

For additional protection, I keep this external hard drive inside a 2.5 inch EVA case for transportation or storage. It's worth noting the corners of this hard drive are rounded (some external hard drives have right-angle corners which can slightly deform the protective case). This Toshiba hard drive fits easily into most 2.5 inch protective cases without requiring excessive force on the zip to close the case.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Little External Hard Drive, 31 July 2014
Excellent external hard drive. Purchased to back-up a lot of photographs from my ageing computer. Plugged it in and it was recognised straight away by internet explorer, just copied and pasted the photos from the computer to the hard drive. Took some time as the computer only has USB 2.0 and not 3.0 which would have sped up the process, the limitation being the computer no the drive - the drive is super-fast!

1.0 out of 5 stars Excellent then failed. Warranty impossible, 16 Oct. 2014
Intially superb - fast, compact so I bought another one.

Thought it would be easy to replace but it seems to be impossible because the Toshiba online warranty doesn't recognise either the serial no or the product no - they don't exist! When I submitted a warranty claim using a different model no, explaining in detail why I doing it this way, the claim was rejected with no follow up comment.

Extremely poor customer service. Not sure what to do now except I won't be buying from Toshiba again.

Update Nov 10th:

I phoned Toshiba which cost me over £5 (they put me into an endless loop on Home Users but instantly picked up when I chose Business User). They agreed that the drive isn't recognised on their warranty site and then refused to honour their 2 year warranty because the item is no longer an 'in stock item'. Apparently had I bought it directly from them they would have replaced it (what?). The Tech didn't seem to be suprised with the USB 3 problem on these drives - 'sounds like a caddy problem'

Thankfully Amazon have come to the rescue (a instant free phone call and extremely helpful). They have agreed to replace the item which is fortunately still in stock.

Amazon 10/10 Toshiba 0/10

I strongly advise against buying Toshiba products on the basis of my experience. I am going to forward this to their CEO.

5.0 out of 5 stars Plug and play, could not be easier!, 31 July 2014
Mr. G. L. Randall "Magic_G" (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
This hard drive can’t be easier to use. It took 30 minutes to copy 80GB of data. You don't have to worry about backing up anymore or pay any annual fees for iCloud or Dropbox etc. HDD it is small and doesn't make a sound. I couldn't be happier. You can't really go wrong with Toshiba.

5.0 out of 5 stars Toshiba Backup - Excellent, 16 Sept. 2014
Arrived in good time. Good value. Reliable brand. It's working well right now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great piece of kit and fits in well with the ..., 1 Aug. 2014
Great piece of kit and fits in well with the other great Toshiba products we use and continue to use, quick small and sleek, highly recommend this either for expansion of you existing drive space or as a sync’d drive for running backups on/from :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast Drive Great, 17 Feb. 2015
Works very well, Crystal DiskMark 3.0.3 x64.
USB3.0 port RD-115MB/s WR-114MB/s