on 11 January 2012
Bought this when the lg sky £200 cashback offer was on and have not regretted my expensive purchase one bit. AVforums have threads dedicated to the horrors of juddering in 3D etc.. I've noticed some ghosting on mine that might benefit from caliberation but Im not a tv techy and it doesnt bother me enough at the moment.

I'll start with negatives:

The apps are average and the Youtube app borders a lawsuit, sometimes playing obscene most videos at start up (avoid using it with small kids around or turn the volume down - I had the F word twice said in front of my 2yr old and was NOT impressed. LG claim its Google's app and they have no control on updates, Google should get their finger out and LG should be jumping on them from a great height. Its disgusting!

DLNA (didnt even know it had it though) doesnt often work properly, even though my media server is right next to the tv and I use wired networking for both the tv and the media server. Great when it works though!

Positives: Everything else - Especially watching normal HD and SD channels, I think the tv upscales content as some of the programs I watch with Trumotion technology turned on makes me think Im looking through a crystal clear window into a colourful high def world of vibrant detail. I compared this recently to a LW6500 in my local Currys and the LW980T stomps all over it (should do too since it costs twice as much!). You will definitely notice the difference between the cheaper models and the lw980t when you're watching programmes on them, hd broadcasts like The Big Bang Theory on Ch4 HD look so much sharper than on other tv's i have seen.

The 3D is much more defined with this tv than others. I wear spectacles and am right-eye dominant which means I miss much of the depth in 3D content, but with this tv I see much more than others. I couldnt see much at all with active 3D sets like the Samsung ones and even the LW650 I had problems seeing much. With this set, I see quite a lot more depth, though my missus who has 20-20 can see depth in movies I cant see at all still.

The menu navigation is simple to operate even though the tv is loaded with caliberation options and the infinite surround sound and clear voice settings give us the perfect sound without heavy music and bass suddenly blasting out as with older sets.

The TV looks good on the wall, its ultra-thin and although most people are in awe of its size when they first see it, it doesnt overpower my small room as it sits almost flush to the wall.

The best set currently out there and my only regret was I was unable to afford the 55" version but from what Ive read somewhere, the 47" one is better for 3D?

Personally, this is the best TV on the market at the moment bar none despite its few shortcomings.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse