on 11 September 2014
Amazing. As an Englishman, I’ve always got slightly annoyed when Americans claims to have “won the war”. They didn’t, we all did… however this book really does put things into perspective. I had no idea of the sacrifices the men of the 8th air force made and the hell they must of gone through on those daylight bombing raids. After reading this book it’s impossible to imagine how the war could have been turned without them and their campaign against the nazi’s regime.

The book itself is a wonderful account of what these men went through on a daily basis, not just in the air but back on the ground. This is a must read and it one of the best books I have every read. Huge respect to the men of the 8th Air Force. They are an import part of everyones history and should never be forgotten. In 1000 years time, thanks to this book, their names will live on.
on 28 January 2013
A stunning tale of air combat and bravery which draws the reader into the B-17s as they fight their way in and out of Germany. With no false heroics the author also describes the toll on the minds if the survivors. As James Stewart said, this is how it was.
on 4 June 2012
This book is simply excellent.

The story is well written and you really get to know the people involved.

The combat crew are so alive and likeable, It is hard to believe that they are now old men or have past on.

The stress of Combat and the description of combat at high altitude in freezing conditions is very well described.

I have this book in hardback, but I also got a Kindle version so I could take it with me when I travel. It is a book that you will want to read again.
on 4 August 2014
This has to be one of the best war/aviation books I have ever read, and I have read many, by British, American, German and French authors. As a 13 yr old at the time I would wait with my friends and watch the Flying Fortresses land and was (and still am) full of admiration for these brave young men who would still wave to us kids as they taxied past us in their shot up machines. John Comer writes very well and modestly about his time with his bomb group in England. I cannot commend this book more highly.
on 25 March 2013
Excellent book, well written and fast moving. Gives a good idea of what it was like to fly a daylight combat mission over Germany in a B17. Hardly put the book down when I started it.
on 22 January 2013
One of the best accounts of aerial combat I've read. You can truly engage with the authors description of the bond forged between men in combat.
on 1 December 2012
A super read and a very moving book particularly with regard to the feelings of the crews as they near the end of their combat tour, when so many 'bought the farm'This really is the true tale of the American B17 boys, for that is what they were, as they struggled to hide their terror and copy the old hands, with their nonchalance when the odds were against them in making it back to the States.
on 7 January 2013
a very interesting book with no heroics just the blunt truth of what it was like to fly over Europe on daylight missions especially without fighter escort, there are no airs and graces, no 'we're Americans and we know best', the delight of a returning crew to see fighter escorts be they American or British shows up through the book. A tribute to 8th air force crews.
on 6 September 2013
I do not like the 5 star rating of"I love it" because I found this book deeply moving.These kids mathematically had no chance of surviving a tour of duty and yet they were all there of their own free will.When I think of how much better this world might be if we had not killed so many of that generation I genuinely despair.Please read this book.
on 12 October 2012
This is the story of the American B17 bomber crews who risked, and in a great many cases, gave their lives bombing Germany in broad daylight during WW2. The story is told well from the perspective of a gunner living on the edge to complete the 25 missions which would enable his crew to return to the US. A very worthwhile read!