5.0 out of 5 stars The Postman
This cross-stitch is actually entitled "The Postman" and not "Thatched Cottage" as it is called here.

I made this for my mother - her Grandfather, my Great Grandfather, was the village postman so it seemed fitting.

Published on 16 May 2012 by Su

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor Quality
Published 4 months ago by Jane P

5.0 out of 5 stars The Postman, 16 May 2012
Su (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Cross Stitch Kit Thatched Cottage 14 Count 49cm X 38xcm

The kit is from Dimensions - one of the most reputable companies that make cross-stitch patterns and kits. It is a counted cross stitch and contains some fractional stitches on 14 count aida (the only bit I found difficult - with aida you must puncture the solid central panel to form the stitch).

Included within the pack you will receive a piece of 14 count aida cream material, all the threads you need (most of them are on a pre-sorted card, the rest are in skein form), an embroidery needle, fold out chart and instructions.

I would recommend that you copy the chart; if possible copy and enlarge the chart so the symbols are easier to see. This way you can mark off the stitches as you complete them and not have to worry about making a mess of your precious chart, it also means that you won't need open and close your pattern thereby reducing the likelihood that it will break or rip along the folds.

Before you start sewing you will require a sewing/embroidery hoop/frame. These come in a variety of sizes, such as 8" Wooden Embroidery Hoop, Wood Embroidery Hoop 14"-1/2" Depth, Elbesee Wooden Embroidery Hoop, 20cm, Maxi-Clip Tapestry Frame 36in Roller, and 12in Ratchet Frame.

I would also recommend over-sewing the edge of the material sit it does not fray as you use it. Always ensure that you use the correct thread for the correct stitch - the number of individual threads, the colour and the type of stitch.

Remember, embroidery is a relaxation activity - it helps you be calm and tranquil, so take you time and enjoy your stitching.

The instructions are always worth a read - they include everything from who to make the stitches required, through to how to mount, corset and frame your precious hard work.

If you decided to give a "professional" framing company, or individual, your hard work please ask them how they are going to frame it and be persistent, don't just take a "don't worry about that", "we know what we are doing", "it's a trade secret", or even "why do you want to know" as an answer. I recommend that you ask them straight out are they going to corset or glue the embroidery. If they say "what's corseting" or "glue" then please walk away.

You should never glue an embroidery (or any other craft item), the glue will eventually go brown, and will show through the material - but it can be much worse than that.

My sister made a triptych of tapestries. She went to a so-called professional framer who made a mess of them. When she got them back they weren't straight and after about 3 years brown stains started to appear. She asked our mother for help and when we undid them the material had been roughly cut right up to the stitching and they had been glued directly onto the backboard of the frame. I can remember all the overstitching and the reinforcing of the edge before they could be cleaned. It took months to "repair" the damage and then we had to find a way to reframe them.

I gave a friend a completed embroidery as a special gift (it had taken me about 14 months to complete as it was dark blue tiny 22 aida with a lot of dark threads). It included some specialist threads, including marlett, lame, astrella and glow-in-the-dark threads. One of the main parts of the image was a large detailed full moon (about a third of the finished size) for which I had used the glow-in-the-dark thread, the eagle I had used the lame threads on to add a shine to the eagles head and wings, and the mountains and the other stars I had used the marlett and astrella threads - because it was on a dark blue background it helped the definition of the image and especially the moon.

When I gave it to her I asked her to pick out the frame and mount and my mother (who has been framing her own embroideries, as well as mine and many others) would frame the embroidery properly. About 4 months later she told me that she had gone to a "professional" framer's shop near where she lived (Warrington, Cheshire). I was a little put out but it was her choice.

Then about 12 months after that she told me there was a problem with the moon - some of the threads had "snapped" (threads are never pulled tight enough to snap like that). I told her to bring it over and I'd take a look. I took it out of the frame in front of her and took a closer look. The framer had used a heavy duty glue, and it had dissolved many of the specialty threads, but worse than that he had sliced a lot of the threads on the rear of the image and that was why they were coming undone. The embroidery is irreparable.

So please, learn from our mistakes, and check on anyone who claims to be a "professional" framer. I would recommend that you try framing yourself; it is easier than it seems.

Anyway, there is one thing that will hit you when you complete your Postman embroidery (in fact it does it to me every time I finish an embroidery regardless of size) - there is the initial "have I really finished" doubt; followed, a few hours later, by a sense of achievement and pride in your accomplishment.

The result of all those months of hard work are well worth the effort - the Postman is a beautiful piece of artwork, but remember to hang it out of direct sunlight so it won't fade.

4.0 out of 5 stars cross stitch kit thatched cottage, 24 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Cross Stitch Kit Thatched Cottage 14 Count 49cm X 38xcm
This was very good value for money was very easy to stitch colours were true to the picture shown and made a lovely tapestry

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor Quality, 1 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Cross Stitch Kit Thatched Cottage 14 Count 49cm X 38xcm
Pretty picture shame about the colour choice of the threads for the path and its shadows I've never seen a bright purple, lilac and blue dirt path. Although DMC shade equivalents are given for the threads the cotton supplied is of a very poor quality clearly not DMC, it knots and splits, pulls apart and is horrible to use, I have had to use wax on the threads,also two colours were short I had to buy DMC to complete the sections. The canvas is so stiff it feels more like tapestry canvas and is very difficult to insert into a hoop. The cottage looks as though it supposed to be English but the carriage is of Amish appearance I don't think you get many thatched cottages in the States. Poor confused design using half cross stitch with large numbers of threads for the foreground path and background sky look ridiculous,the foreground of any design stands out but the number of threads the design suggests you use make it look clumsy and amateurish, of course you don't realise this until you have spent many hours sewing, don't waste your time don't bother buying this unless you are prepared to bin the threads provided and substitute DMC or Anchor and work out your own colour combinations, you can tell its made in china its poorly conceived and utter rubbish! Why is there no manufacturer name or trademark on this kit are the suppliers too ashamed to own upto it. I am a cross stitcher of over 20 years experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars for my wife, 28 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Cross Stitch Kit Thatched Cottage 14 Count 49cm X 38xcm
my wife was ver pleased with this product, keeping her bus now, and enjoing doing it, and a good bargain m wife said.

5.0 out of 5 stars happy, 3 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Cross Stitch Kit Thatched Cottage 14 Count 49cm X 38xcm
Its fine apart from i have run out of a certain thread but im buying it later but apart from that its great

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good cross stitch, 6 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Cross Stitch Kit Thatched Cottage 14 Count 49cm X 38xcm
I just finished this cross stitch, is definitely aimed at someone who has a bit of experience and I did run out of a certain thread but the kit contains both DMC and anchor numbers so I could easily get it. Looks very good when finished I was pleased with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Choice, 3 April 2014
This review is from: Cross Stitch Kit Thatched Cottage 14 Count 49cm X 38xcm
The kit arrived within three working days. My wife is very pleased with the quality. Similar kits sell for upwards of £35. Would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars cross stich kit, 20 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Cross Stitch Kit Thatched Cottage 14 Count 49cm X 38xcm
I really like this. Very fond of all works of thomas kincade and will purchase more in the near future

4.0 out of 5 stars Hecticly coloured chart - but lovel design., 19 Mar. 2015
Mrs. P. A. Porter (Felixstowe, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cross Stitch Kit Thatched Cottage 14 Count 49cm X 38xcm
I don`t usually buy kits as a) I design my own, and b) I have the complete range of Anchor and DMC threads, plus yards of Aida etc. I fell for the design - and my only complaint is that the chart is really violently coloured! I prefer black and white symbols, but that`s just me (ad my daughter) Looking forward to starting it though - just setting up the bar-frame for it and we`re off!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good service, 12 May 2013
This review is from: Cross Stitch Kit Thatched Cottage 14 Count 49cm X 38xcm
I'm very pleased with the product as well as the vendor. I received a faulty product to start with, but the seller very kindly gave me a full refund and a brand new product to replace it without any complaints. Has easy to follow instructions, good quality threads and is very fun to make (I'm about half way through at the moment).