Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.31

on 18 September 2013
This was a very interesting insight innto what lots of us know nothing about, namely the partition between India and Bangladesh. Moreover seen through the eyes of a child whose father was a involved in the British Army at the time.
on 15 May 2013
It was interesting story line a little bit singular regarding description of surrounding happenings - appreciate it was a view of a young child/adult but felt even he could not be so unaware of all that was happening around at the time.
on 30 November 2011
I was disappointed by Michael Foss's autobiography. The first 50 plus pages are about the ship in which he was returning to India sank, and the time he, his mother and brother spent in England before they returned to India at the end of the Second World War. The remainder of the book describes his ineffectual mother and his soldier father, who found it difficult to form a bond with his young sons, and their dull life with many hardships and too few pleasures. Michael Foss writes:"In general, in our family, we went our separate ways. Parents and children lived almost as strangers in the same house, our lives mediated through the care of servants. My brother and I relied on Sami (a servant)for household information.

"No common interests bound us, neither sport, recreation nor hobby."

I pity two small boys who grew up with parental indifference, who suffered emotional and physical cruelty at each school they attended.

However, Michael Foss's comment:"The British lived on but not in India. Our rules for living were not their rules," is pertinent.

It was with relief that I read:"My father was protective towards India and strenuously defended all things Indian against the easy flow of calumny that so often came from the British. He approved of Indian officers and reccommendced them for pomotion. He liked to meet them socially. He wanted to get their take on his beloved Indian Army that was soon to be left in their hands."

Unfortunately,although I peservered I did not warm to the book and skipped through the last third.

Rosemary Morris
Historical Novelist

[...]
[...]
on 22 December 2012
Story of a very different childhood. Michael tells the story of his formative years with no holds barred. From the sultry heat of the subcontinent to the (sometimes) dreary shores of England. Every teenager should read this.
on 21 June 2015
Not finished reading yet but I find it intensely interesting. He has a good memory for details.
on 28 June 2012
I found this a great depiction of living as a foreigner in a completely different culture, and I learnt a lot about India.
on 2 May 2015