on 20 May 2012
Having changed from my worn out HP laptop to this Acer laptop I was sceptical, having got very used to the HP over the last 6 years. However my fears were unfounded as the Acer's style, performance, speed has been fantastic. The graphics supplied by the latest NVIDIA GeForce technology are stunning and the virtual surround sound is amazing. Windows 7 works well and I like the intuitiveness of all the main programmes. The 15.6 display screen is clear and any adjustments are easy to make regarding sound, display etc. I also really like Windows Live email, great to have all my email accounts coming in at the same time in one window under the different account names. I would highly reccomend this Acer to anyone and I am sure it will see me OK for another 6 years at least. Oh and the delivery from Amazon to Spain was also fantastic, arrived 1 day early and in good working order, no package damage or anything !
on 15 April 2012
Just finished setting this up, and am very happy with it, especially considering it was (just) under £500.

Mostly agree with all of the other reviews here, but want to point out a few things that were actually better than I was expecting given (a) the photos, (b) other reviewers comments.

1. Audio/speakers - very strong for a laptop. Someone described them as useless, so I wasn't expecting much. But I've listened to some hip hop, some classical, and the 'dolby advance audio' speakers are holding up well. Obviously you can't blast opera out of the thing, but no-one would expect that.

2. Return key - might sound like a minor point, but the one thing that almost persuaded me NOT to buy this was the keyboard photo showing a small horizontal return key. Imagine my joy when I opened it up and - hey presto, there's a proper double height return key. Happy days.

3. "Bloat-ware" or excessive pre-installed software. Not too bad - I'm not sure if this has been changed owing to reviews, but a lot of people had complained both generally and about how hard it was to get rid of the McAffee suite. In my experience, just going into install/uninstall programmes worked fine - it popped up with a separate box and downloaded its own uninstaller and then forced a reboot, but it was about 90 seconds all in.

Anyway, something might come up in a month or two, but a few days in I'm really happy with this.
on 29 February 2012
I bought the Aspire 5750G after shopping around for quite sometime. I was looking for something around the £500 mark with a decent processor that would run Adobe Creative Suite. Laptop performs well, with the i5 processor and Nvidia graphics card it handles all tasks and projects well. Unless you're a power user wanting high end gaming or CGI then I think most people would be happy with this laptop.

Given its price and i5 processor, amount of RAM and storage that comes with it, there are some sacrifices with other aspects. For instance the screen and sound aren't the best. If you want this laptop to play and watch movies I would suggest looking elsewhere, but if like me you want it for work and projects then buy this.

Some users may not like the low profile keys but its something you get used to. Go for the 5750 with the added 'G' graphics.
on 7 March 2012
This computer is really quite exceptional, in its price range you will not find a laptop of these specifications. The 6GB of RAM and the dedicated graphics card really push it ahead of all the others.

This computer is not a hardcore gaming laptop, however it is excellent for everything you could do besides gaming. Everything runs quickly and smoothly, I can watch a 1080p video on my external monitor while browsing the web and running some other applications on the primary screen without any interruption.

I was most pleasantly surprised at how small the computer is considering it has a 15.6" screen. The computer is very thin, and quite lightweight. This was a really pleasant surprise for me, as my previous laptop was fat, heavy and loud.

Some other reviews have commented on how the screen isn't amazing, it's just fine, it isn't a full HD LED IPS screen, but it works just fine and I have no complaints about it.

The computer DID come with a load of bloatware installed, in anticipation I formatted the computer upon receipt and installed a clean copy of Windows 7. Unfortunately I was required to download a number of drivers from the Acer website, this was quite frustrating as the fastest I could download them was at ~70KB/s, waiting almost two hours to download just one graphics driver dampened my mood somewhat.

Overall, I love this computer, and for the price it is unbeatable.
on 31 July 2012
Just bought this machine for my wife. Probably a bit over specified for her face booking needs but I thought I might be able to make use of it too.

First I would like to make the point that all laptop manufactures seem to be making it as hard as possible to get full tech spec for their machines. With Acer the problem for me was trying to establish that this machine had a USB3 interface. So I am happy to be able to tell you that it does.

Secondly Cr4pware; Why do these companies put this rubbish on their machines? Okay so they make a few bob out of it, but at the expense of their own reputations. Due to the fact that they don't supply a Windows 7 CD with the machine it took me four hours to set the machine up, make a backup system and remove the rubbish.

Overall the machine runs sweetly, nice and cool and quiet and the screen is good (if you angle it right). The only problem I have had with it is something seems a little slow to start at boot time causing the occasional blue screen (and buzzing noise) at login. Will just have to see how that goes - Might end up buying a clean copy of Windows 7 and see if that solves the problem.

Overall I would say not too bad, but could do better.
on 6 August 2012
Went through all the specs for all popular machines, this one exactly fills my needs. Not least is the way the machine shuts down the cores that are not being used, extending battery life to , in my case, 5 hours! Like the work surface surrounding the keyboard and, with these keys having a flat surface with large spacing around each one, you get far more "feel" for where each key is. 6GB of memory and 500GB hard drive plus LED screen make this a real pleasure. Plus of course, you get windows 8 for around £13 when it arrives in October! Really have not found any problems with this machine!
on 6 March 2013
I bought this laptop in September 2011. For the first half a year it was a fantastic laptop, very quick, good screen, very good keyboard, beautiful design, the only problem being its weight and maybe the rather quick heating up.

After 3/4 of a year, with only the most careful of treatment, seldom taken on journeys, regularly updated, virus-checked and cleaned, it started developing severe hardware problems. I have to stress the point that this laptop was always treated very gently, nonetheless, in December 2012 the hardware had to be completely replaced, at the cost of a third of the price of the laptop, after multiple blue-screen incidents and shattering noise. Shortly after the power button sunk in. When the charging cable is now being plugged in it goes on/off.

The hardware has not recovered since. It regularly has blue-screen problems, although the hardware replacement was professionally and efficiently done. It has been back to the "doctor" twice since then, but there isn't much that can be done unless one wants to pay more.
It is also overwhelmed quickly now when a few programs run at once, Blackberry Desktop Software is a thing this laptop does not like at all for example.

For the short-term and for the occasional facebook/email usage this laptop is great. Best not to move it much and to not expect much from it.
Disappointing.
on 21 May 2013
For the money you pay the acer is a fairly good spec.
Windows 7 is fairly user friendly with the odd glitch that seem to sneak into all Windows OS's but nothing significant. Ample storage for music, videos etc.
I had to replace the screen on mine due to the screen cracking from a knock. Picked a screen up off eBay got £40 and was very simple to change so no grumbles there!
Finally if you ever use your laptop to type anything then avoid this laptop like the plague. The keys are very poorly made and you will often have to repeat a key hit to register it, not a very good design at all.
If you want a laptop to surf the web, do the odd bit of work hear and there then it is ideal. If you rely heavily on your laptop for document typing then this is not for you.
on 18 May 2012
This is a nice powerful laptop that performs well until you try and play games then it gets REALLY REALLY hot, i have a cooling fan under it and can still feel the heat coming through the grill. It says on the spec that it will handle games and for £530 i expected a lot more for my money, i have never had an Acer before, and i would`nt have another one, a very poor choice on my part.
on 17 September 2012
An almost perfect purchase except that having bought one with "Some minor blemishes etc etc" I found that this also meant no instruction manuals at all. All I received was the computer and a mains charger, absolutely nothing else! I had previously looked on all the "details" and some mentioned they might come without this but the one I bought hadn`t mentioned it.
Outside of that it works very well for all i need. Running a small business etc.