5.0 out of 5 stars Love this docking station
Published 23 months ago by Amazonian rainforest

2.0 out of 5 stars Compared to old Bose Wave, gives a small tinny unpleasant sound
For the price and brand, would have expected more. Compared to an old (around 1998 or 2000) Bose Wave Radio I used to use in my bedroom, this just sounds so much less impressive. I don't know how to describe it exactly, but the sound doesn't seem to project as much, and when you turn it up you just want to turn it back down again because it increases the volume of all the...
Published 21 months ago by Zoe

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this docking station, 7 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Sony RDPX30IP.CEK Speaker Dock for iPod or iPhone Media Playback (30 pin compatible) (Electronics)
I have been relying on a JBL On Stage III for some time and have found it really useful when travelling. It has also been in the bedroom and the sound is a bit thin so I decided to look for something better. I had a scan through the Amazon reviews and plumped for the Sony RDPX301P. For an extra £40 or £50 over the JBL the difference in the sound quality is like night and day. The Sony has much more bass and depth and picks out very well across the frequencies so I hear sounds within a tune that I haven't heard before. I listen to a wide variety of music from jazz to modern pop, dance and electronic. All of them very good on this docking station. It has three choices of sound, either off, Mega Bass or what Sony call Mega Bass and Mega Xpand. I have chosen the last one and with the EQ function on the iPod there's a large choice. The remote control is well set out and switches the unit off and on and operates the menu function as well as the usual play/pause, skip, volume. It seems to work well.

Things to be aware of that have been written in other reviews. There is no connectivity to other devices supplied and no radio or other functions. It's just a simple docking station for the old style connector (not the fire wire). The speakers aren't far apart so you won't get a great separation of each channel, but playing Dave Brubeck's "Unsquare Dance" which is a good test of stereo sound it does very well. There seem to be other Sony docking stations available with a DAB radio and clock/alarm for less money, but looking at the spec they aren't as powerful as this one and I suspect the sound is not quite as good. I really didn't need a clock that lights up the room and have Tune In Radio as an App (if you haven't got it I would highly recommend it - 100s of stations from the UK and around the world) so don't need a radio function. If you want a very straightforward dock that holds the iPod/iPhone securely and gives excellent sound I'd recommend this. I'm very pleased with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best iPod dock for sound and build at the price, 23 Jun. 2012
I've spent a long time trying to find a decent sounding iPod doc for under £100. After lots of disapointment from well rated products here on Amazon, I decided it was time to go and do some listening for myself BEFORE purchasing. Previously I have bought and then returned the popular GEAR4 HouseParty, the AZATOM and a Logitech, all of which failed to live up to thier 5* reviews. If you care about sound, but don't want to spend a fortune, I can heartilly recommend this Sony, it's not too big, but has a full, clear and sweet sound with good deep bass. I'm finally satisfied. Though the bigger brother, the RDPX60, looks like it could be even better, but it crosses the majic £100 line that I set for myself. Buy this one with confidence though. Remote and controls all work well and it works with all my versions of iPod and iPhone (3GS).

5.0 out of 5 stars First rate !!, 8 Dec. 2012
At last I had psyched myself up to by a Bose Speaker Dock - a couple of friends have them and they sound amazing.
But there are a few negative comments on Amazon (about the Bose - they must have been unlucky), so I took my iPod down to a local retail store, played a few selected tracks on the Sony, summoned the wife to listen, and made a decision to buy it!
To us - the sound is really good, and we saved about £200 too. No regrets, AND we can play CDs from a Walkman plugged into the back

5.0 out of 5 stars Value for money, 8 Jan. 2013
Very pleased with this purchase, I must have reviewed every speaker dock under £200 before
I settled for this one,I decided in the end not to spend a lot of money, it gets to a point in my experience when you can spend a hell of a lot more money for a little better sound, this Sony dock looks stylish, sounds great with no distortion at full volume, plenty load enough for a big living room, all for £70, what more do you want

5.0 out of 5 stars A sound investment, 1 Feb. 2013
Other people have commented on the sound quality of this item and I thoroughly agree with them.
My iPod sounds rich and the simple but comprehensive remote enables me to enjoy all the music and books I want without having to leave my chair.
If you are looking for hi-fi sound from your iPod look no further, this unit will satisfy the most discerning ear.

5.0 out of 5 stars A super little docking station with big sound quality., 22 Oct. 2012
Aurora (Lincolnshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
A lot of the cheaper iPod docs have suspect sound quality. I listened to them in stores. Obviously, by spending in excess of £100, the quality gets better. However, when I heard the quality of this SONY model, at this price, I decided this was the one for me. The sound is extremely good quality, and quite sufficient for a normal living room. The only down side - there is no radio built-in. However, I'm satisfied with this compromise of price and sound. The remote control is an excellent bonus facility. Highly recommended!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Value for Money, 6 Feb. 2013
It has a very good quality of sound without paying the price of Bose. It has a good finish and looks good in any room.

5.0 out of 5 stars Genuninely surprised with the quality., 25 Dec. 2012
Firstly. As a Sony product I did expect this to be a good quality - however, I was really quite surprised by how good the quality is.

It's only a docking station of course but it's exceptionally easy to setup. Pretty much gave it a go right out the box. Easy to put your iPod onto - however, it is the old connector rather than the new iPhone 5 style. However, that's not a big issue either.

The sound was clear. Good range and bass is quite strong also. All in all, for the price I cannot complain at all. The little remote is handy also and has decent range too.

Looks good. Very good sound. Easy to setup and get going with. As some have said, the power lead is not very long at all but I guess most people are going to have the docking station close to a plug regardless.

Well worth it and very happy with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 26 Dec. 2012
Bought for an Iphone4 and works brilliantly. Nice size. Excellent sound. Why would you pay more? My daughter Loves it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 19 Sept. 2012
Bought this recently after searching reviews of several products, finally made this choice after following Simon's review. Delighted with sound quality. Took the dock on holiday recently and was able to enjoy our choice of music with superb sound quality. Would definitely recommend to anybody that enjoys their music with a good quality sound. Thank you Simon for your review.