5.0 out of 5 stars David Kerrigan
Published on 15 April 2012 by David Kerrigan

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not brilliant!
I bought this to replace a Sony Cybershot but a bit disappointed. It has a very good zoom, great for outdoors, esp scenic shots. Managed to get close detail of things, without being obtrusive.
Published on 10 Oct 2012 by Flosska

5.0 out of 5 stars David Kerrigan, 15 April 2012
David Kerrigan (Didcot, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I've always used SLRs for photos but needed a good quality compact for times and places demanded something less obtrusive. This little gem hits the spot completely. A Leica lens produces brilliant sharp images, as you'd expect, enhanced with an optical image stabiliser. The x10 optical zoom is a dream, but of course at full zoom, the better the light the better the image. The HD video is excellent quality and is surprisingly easy to hand-hold and get really good images. And as a real bonus for a HD compact, it allows you to zoom in and out whilst recording. That wasn't the case on our last Sony Compact. Battery life is tops and so is the large, bright 3" LCD screen.

The camera has a range if settings from automatic to a range of pre-settings. Many are as you'd expect (sports, night scene, soft-focus portrait etc) but there's some interesting new or newish options - auto-settings for photos of food (!), photos through glass (which may just be a way of switching off the flash - haven't checked that out and two baby settings. Using these the camera will recognise up to two individual faces (and one for a pet!) Enter their date of birth and if you wish the photos can show the age of the child in question every time a photo is taken! Oh, and a panorama setting which makes taking panorama photos as easy as pie.

I bought mine in Bangkok last week and paid about the same as Amazon are now quoting (£166) but had a leather belt purse (Panasonic DMW-PSS13KK Leather Case) and 4GB card in that price. The 4GB card allows you to take about 650 - 800 photos at 6-6.5MB each, but double that number for 2-3MB photos. And for the record, it worked well in 40 C temperatures.

So lots of plusses, but the HD video tops the bill for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely little camera, 15 May 2012
My trusty old Canon Ixus 70 (my third Canon) finally packed up. I researched in Which?, read all the reviews, and decided to go for the Panasonic Lumix on the personal recommendation of two different people, who had one themselves. I paid a bit more for the DMCSZ1, fairly new on the market, because it offered the Leica lens and the 10x Super Zoom. I like its very simple design, its easy-to-use instructions and its intelligent auto mode which gives good clear shots and excellent colour. It also does well in evening half light, which is nice. You can also photograph quite a large object in a small room without having to stand too far away from it, which is very handy. The Lumix has a brilliant small, light and simple charger, and the memory card from my Canon camera fitted it, which was useful. In fact you don't need to use a memory card. Having got used to the new camera in grey, rainy London, I then took it to Paris in the Springtime, which was bathed in brilliant sunshine, and there one big drawback revealed itself. Unless one could find a patch of shade to stand in, it was almost impossible to take pictures in bright sunshine; all you got was a reflection of yourself in the big viewfinder. You couldn't see your subject at all and had to aim and shoot and hope for the best. This is such a pity, as the big viewfinder itself is excellent (out of the sun), and the zoom is fantastic - I took a brilliant picture of Sacre Coeur from literally miles away. Why oh why have all the manufacturers of compact cameras got rid of the small extra viewfinder that you used to be able to look through if you needed to. As a non-techie, I have not yet tried to use the advanced features, but I am sure they will all work well. My only other tiny complaint is that the little metal cover for inserting the USB connection cable to recharge or download photos looks as if it won't survive intact very long. 2013 review: I have now had this camera for nearly a year and am still raving about its quality. The little metal cover I thought would come off in no time is still there in one piece, so that was unfounded. I would recommend this camera to anyone, despite the lack of extra viewfinder. It takes lovely photographs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Splendid!, 8 Jun 2012
I have previously always had Canon cameras, but was sorely tempted when I saw the pictures taken by a number of fellow travellers in India using Panasonic. This camera is a joy! The camera body is excellent in both handle and the quality of build. It couldn't be more simple and pleasant to use. Interesting options to try, particulary like the panaroma option....once I followed the arrows! The 10x zoom combined with a Leica lens all make for a purchase I am more than happy with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic DMC-SZ1EB 16.MP 10xOptical Zoom., 5 Sep 2012
Very good little camera,i have dslr just wanted a small neat camera to go in my shirt pocket,that takes good photos i was not disapointed what a great camera this is i take it everywhere now thanks panasonic...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little camera!, 8 May 2012
hunter4a (Brighton, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Panasonic DMC-SZ1EB-R Digital Camera - Red (16.1 MP, 10x Optical Zoom with 25mm LEICA Lens and HD Movie) 3.0 inch Intelligent LCD (Electronics)
I'm no expert by any means,so I don't have techical advice. If you want a camera you can just aim and take pictures/videos at the press of a button and get great results.
I bought this camera as I lost my previous Lumix which was the lesser version but still very good.
The extra button for videoing is so much better than having to change the settings....and then forgetting that you have!
I love both this one and my previous one.

5.0 out of 5 stars so compact and easy to use with great results, 26 July 2012
C. Hazeldine - See all my reviews
I own a Nikon DSLR, which is fab, but rather bulky to carry around for holidays etc, reviewing the range of compact cameras, the Panasonic DMC-SZ1EB-A caught my eye. It seemed to tick all the boxes I required, including a good price, so I ordered it. I am delighted! The picture quality is excellent, the zoom far exceeds my expectations and it all fits neatly inside my pocket or bag.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVELY LITTLE CAMERA, 27 Sep 2012
I am more than pleased with this very compact camera. Having been recommended by friends to get a Lumix I went for the slightly more expensive model for the zoom and I am not disappointed. Very easy to use with lots of different functions from basic for the novice like myself to more technical.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart Phone size Camera Takes Spectacular Photos, 5 Sep 2012
Paul A. Ballard "Paul Ballard" (Bethesda, MD, USA) - See all my reviews
I just purchased this Panasonic Lumix camera to stand in for my Canon EOS7D that broke down, while on vacation in London. I needed a small inexpensive camera to take pictures of familty and friends. The Panasonic Lumix so far has performed flawlessly. It is so small it fits in my jeans pocket comfortably. But it takes incredibly sharp images even when enlarged. This is probably due to its Leica lens which creates images of startlingly good sharpness and depth of field - both for landscapes and for portraits including close-ups. The camera is also very easy indeed to set up. It only took me about four minutes after it arrived to start using it. The flash also works very well - allowing indoor group portraits to come out very well. I would strongly recommend this camera. I plan to use it as a smaller lightweight back-up for my heavier - and less reliable ! - Canon EOS7D, which takes excellent pictures but is very temperamental, and lacks any effectively customer support from Canon. I haven't yet found out how good customer support is from Panasonic. For its price, the Panasonic Lumix has to be one of the highest quality cameras on the market.

Very Highly Recommended!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not brilliant!, 10 Oct 2012
Used it for 3 weeks on hols in USA, took 1700 photos in New England. Daytime fine, almost all evening pictures not very good colour. Tried amending it to no avail. Got home & started taking pics in evening for eBay sales, not at all impressed. Colour is wrong, zoom blurred. Day pics fine . Tried amending settings, not as good as the Sony it replaced :-( in my opinion.
So saying that, perfect for long distance & day shots. I will now use my Sony for evening pics, which is a pain as I don't want to carry 2 cameras on holiday.

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy small sized camera., 8 Jun 2012
Knowing very little about cameras having owned only 2 in my lifetime, the difference between my purchases from the past is amazing. This compact piece of kit is the business, it does everything the blurb says. Foolproof on auto, works straight from the box, highly recommended.Coupled with a SD card, the amount of pictures it can take is amazing.