on 25 October 2012
This is pretty much what you'd expect from a modern pocket-sized compact camera, of this size and price. It takes nice photos, and most of the usual suspects are available in the "scene" selections. But there are a few features that maybe set it apart from many of its competitors, and are the reasons I chose it:

-Optical image stabilisation. This is a rare feature on a compact camera. It works very well, and is extremely useful on a camera of this size - where you don't have much to hold on to, to keep the camera steady. However, don't imagine that it's good enough to get a sharp indoor photo, one handed, while you're riding a unicycle - It helps a lot, but you've still got to do your bit to hold the camera steady.

-Autofocus is faster than most cameras of this size and price.

-The easiest-to-use panorama mode I've come across. I can't understand why they don't put this in ALL Panasonic cameras (it's notably absent from my wife's FS35, and my own FZ150). Of course, it's no match for manually stitching individually-captured full-resolution shots to make your own panorama, but I suspect the target market for this type of camera is not interested in anything that "manual".

-Low light performance is better than many similar-spec competitors, with and without flash.

-The flash is a bit less prone to making people's faces into fluorescing albinos, than some competitors.

-Although there is no dedicated movie record button, the "Mode" button has Movie as a permanently-available option for quick selection. I note that this is better than the more expensive Panasonic FS35, where you have to use up your Custom scene slot to achieve this.

-Full auto mode ("Intelligent Auto") generally gives very good "point and shoot" results under most conditions. I find that I only rarely need to manually choose a "scene" mode, or change any settings. And isn't that exactly what we want from this type of camera?

I give it 5 stars because I think it's better than most cameras in this market segment.
0Comment|105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 March 2013
I bought this camera as a compact and easy option for my holidays and it is certainly easy to use and great value for money. Of course it has its limitations as is to be expected with this type of camera (zoom etc), but this is outweighhed in my view as it is so easy to use. I didn't have time to check out the instructions properly before going away so I just charged it up and went away. The mode menu is very easy to use and simple to navigate and so far the picture quality looks fine when viewed on the PC although I havn't got any of them printed out yet. I havn't loaded the software either as I didn't get round to it but will do that when I get the time. Managed easily to download from the SD card so even if you don't want to connect to a PC it is still easy going.
The camera is very compact and easily fits in the pocket which is also a bonus as my other camera is very bulky. All in all I am pleased with this purchase and would recommend it as a good quick snap camera.
on 4 June 2013
I already have a FS35 which is excellent and got this simpler one for my 85 year old mother in law. I was very disappointed to find that the screen display is nothing like as bright as the FS35, which makes it hard to see on a bright day. Nothing was said about this on the camera description but it's a very important feature especially for an older person. Otherwise the camera works fine
on 27 July 2012
A very easy to use compact camera with several premium features.
It's face recognition auto-focus and image-stabilisation are excellent.
Bargain at this price.
on 15 August 2012
Bought the Panasonic DMC as I wanted something fun and easy to use that would give me great pictures without lots of messing about with settings. The camera is all of that and more, straight out of the box I was able to start snapping away without bothering to read the instructions (if course). It does everything automatically, adjusts for hand shake, identifies faces, redeye and has a nice detailed 14 megapixal picture. Also love the yellow, it's exactly as appears on the screen and bright enough to be easy to spot, different from all the boring cameras out there. Doesn't come with a case but it says that, I bought one for about £10 and also a 16MB memory card so I wouldn't have to change. Good camera, small and light. Hopefully my holiday pics will be better with it.
on 13 September 2013
I bought this camera because of its wide angle lens, and I have been absolutely delighted with it. How many times have you not been able to get far enough away from a building or a group of people to get everything into the picture? This camera solves all that. If you want a smaller field of view, you simply zoom in with the knob on the top.

If you use the intelligent auto setting, the camera detects human figures and faces in a way that amazes me, automatically using the flash to highlight faces if they are against a bright background. The picture stabilisation feature works like magic, so if you use an extreme zoom setting, you don't need to worry about camera shake - you can photograph distant objects clearly.

The only negative point I have found is that if you take movies, you have to select the amount of zoom before you start filming - you can't change zoom while recording.

This Lumix is light and fits into the hand perfectly. I bought the Panasonic DMW-PSS13KK Leather Case for FS Series too (see my other review), and it fits perfectly.
on 30 January 2013
Been using this camera since christmas, great pictures, no blurry images. Really pleased for the price. No problems to report.
on 29 December 2012
Just a superb little camera for every occasion. Can be carried in a pocket or a purse, is up and running in a second.
The quality of build is excellent, as is the quality of the images produced. In 'idiot' mode it will give you an excellent result whatever you are photographic (within its limits, of course), and if you want to fiddle about a bit deeper with settings, it allows this as well.
All in all, a great little pocket camera. I would not hesitate to recommend it.
on 28 January 2013
This was bought as a Christmas present for a 10 year old. who desperately wanted his own camera. It's nice and small the: controls are simple and intuitive. It gives great results under typical snapshot conditions and looks to be very well made. The lens is good for sharp A4's under favourable focus and lighting conditions. image stabilisation panorama and scene settings are not always all available at this price. Great value.
on 7 April 2013
After extensive research and someone who has stuck to one brand namely Sony and Cannon pocket cameras I have to say I'm very pleased with my purchase.I recently went on a trip to NYC and kept snapping away trying to capture arty moments as well the not so arty ones. It even takes great pictures at night especially a windy one atop the Rockerfeller centre! So yes I would definitely recommend this camera.

See one answered question