5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for the price

OK budget bins.
Published 3 days ago by Steve L

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for the price, 21 Dec 2013
C. Baker (Cambridgeshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bushnell H20 Roof Prism 8x 42 Water Proof Binocular (Electronics)
I use Binoculars for my voluntary work with two conservation groups and Identification of wildlife is a need for both roles, I have had a number of makes of binocular over the years and when I had dropped my latest pair and found one of the lens had moved I needed a replacement pair quick, I had intended spending quite a bit on a new pair when I eventually replaced the present ones but with only days before Christmas my budget was limited so I decided to go for a cheap 'stop gap' pair.
As I used to own a Bushnell Spacemaster Scope I knew how well that was made and decided to look at these, after reading the reviews I decided to go for the 8 x 40 (even though I had always had 10 x 40 ), I was really pleased with the quality and after using them for the first time today in grey ovecast conditions all I can say is Wow! these are better than any pair I have had in the past and for this price you can not go wrong, I have use binoculars that are three times this price and you would be hard pushed not to say these are up there with them, it may be a few years before I replace these (unless of course I drop them).

5.0 out of 5 stars Bushnell H20 Roof Prism 8x 42 Water Proof Binocular, 25 Oct 2013
After using the 10X42 version of this instrument for 3 months, and having been delighted by everything but the less-than-bright view in dull or twilight conditions, I decided to purchase an 8X42 for use when the sun is not shining. If you have read my review of the 10X42, (and you will find additional information there, if you have not already read it), you may now like to consider my further thoughts on the Bushnell H20 8X42 roof prism:

The 8x42's field of view is of course somewhat wider than that of the 10X42, but what really strikes one is that in dull conditions the 8x42 is noticeably brighter. (The 8X42 lets in 25% more light with an exit pupil of 5.25mm as opposed to the 10X42's exit pupil of 42mm, and I can assure you that on a dull day you will notice the difference.) So in a nutshell, if you are buying only one pair, my advice is to get the 8x42. You will find that because it gathers more light it can be used effectively both earlier and later in the day than the 10x42. If you buy the 10x42 instrument first, you will probably find, as I did, that you also need the 8x42. On the other hand, if you buy the 8x42 first, it is quite possible that you will never feel the need of a 10x42. (Incidentally, I use both instruments about equally; each is suited for different purposes and each functions optimally in slightly different conditions. On a dull day the 8X42 will show you more than the 10X42; On a bright day, the opposite is normally the case.)

Some reviewers criticise these H2O roof prism binoculars on the grounds that they lack they lack the brightening effect of "phase-correction" and "fully" multi-coated optics. This may indeed be a point to consider if for some reason your heart is set on a 10X42 instrument and nothing else will do. But as far as the 8X42 is concerned: judge the instrument on its merits, I say! For the money, it represents excellent value to the casual user. (Before deciding to purchase the Bushnell 8x I made it my business to look through entry-level Swarovski binoculars. Phase-correction, full multi-coatings......the lot! Were they preferable to the Bushnells? Of course they were! They were also ten times the price! Are they ten times better binoculars? Hmmm.....Well, let's just say that for one quarter of the Swarovski price I was able to become the more-than-satisfied owner of two "not-quite-top-of-the-range" and undoubtedly less aesthetically pleasing, but (for my purposes) better than adequate, instruments - and thereby save myself 600!)

One small concern -it may never become a problem- about both purchases is the lack of accompanying UK warranty information. The documentation included in the box is not very helpful about where UK residents should turn in the event of a fault developing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Decent quality at a very good price, 4 Jan 2014
Bought these for bird watching having ruined my previous pair by dropping them. I was sceptical that these could deliver decent performance for the price but was persuaded to take a chance having read other reviews. If you want a much wider range of opinions look at the product on Amazon.com - it was this overwhelmingly positive feedback that convinced me to buy.

The binoculars are not particularly light but fit comfortably in the hands. I have found the focus to be clear and sharp with a reasonably bright image - even in overcast winter conditions.

Definitely worth considering for reasonable performance at a good price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent binos for a good price, 11 Mar 2014
I have used these for safari activities and bird watching for about 6 months now. The optics are superb, and the build quality is really good. For a pair of 8x42 binos they're not too big, though I carry mine on a chest harness anyway so size and weight isn't much of an issue anyway.

Very happy with them and can't fault them at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars great value, 15 Mar 2014
having messed about with compact binoculars for weight and space, these are just worth the extra as they focus so much easier and give great field of vision.

5.0 out of 5 stars pleased, 14 July 2013
Excellent good service crisp viewing only used at garden bird table haven't been away so far good delivery and in perfect condition recommend by a friend who has had them for years along with excursion 10x32

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality and clear optics., 28 April 2014
Easy and well built binoculars, very clear optics and even with my poor eyesight I had no problem focusing without my glasses. Simple to say they are good so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best bins, 28 May 2014
Having previously purchased a smaller pair of Bushnells from an outlet store I was apprehensive as the collimation of those was so far out they were unusable and were returned.
With this pair the collimation is spot on, the focus is precise, and the view is bright and clear. As a bonus the lens caps are all captive so can't be lost or mislaid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Affordable quality glasses, 16 April 2014
Received these and am really impressed with the compact comfortable design.Easy to focus with a great field of view. Been fully waterproof will give me peace of mind when out shooting,fishing and stalking. Great in low light and the detail they pick up is outstanding. Looking forward to spending some time with them out in the field.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant piece of kit, 26 Jun 2014
Mr. W. Machin (UK) - See all my reviews
Brilliant piece of kit, bit heavy but this is the first pair of binoculars I have been able to see perfectly through without too much adjustment, normally there would be an overview from both eyes, not with these, absolutely happy with my buy.