5.0 out of 5 stars Very portable, good performer
Being smaller than a stack of 3 cd's, the PicoPIX will comfortably sit in the palm of your hand, making it a very tempting proposition for mobile presentations.

Published 20 months ago by M. D. Harris

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good but maybe flawed
Pro's

1. Quite bright up to say about a 80" screen size, any bigger you will lose the sweet spot.
2. Sound is reasonably load for a small speaker (you can add external speakers or headphones if required)
3. Tiny but not quite pocket size, great for traveling.
4. battery life is good at around 1.5 hours (drops to 55 lumens when on battery)...
Published on 22 Jun 2012 by Chris Cooper

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good but maybe flawed, 22 Jun 2012
This review is from: Philips PicoPIX PPX2450 55 Lumens Pocket LED Pico Projector with Integrated Media Player and 2GB Memory. (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
Pro's

3. Tiny but not quite pocket size, great for traveling.
5. Plays most formats of video..
6. This will power an external HDD from the USB so no external power required.

Cons

1. Fan is quite noisy for a small projector but if your watching a movie this wont be an issue.
2. Wont play Audio on many movies i have and my camcorder AVCHD wont play sound either. (you can use an HDMI cable which will fix this).
3. I've had two of these now as they have both ended up showing light to the right side of the screen which is only seen when projecting black, it's like someone is shining a weak torch to the side of the screen, it seems the light is bouncing off the silver from the front of the projector. This could be a design flaw unless i have been unlucky twice.
4. Resolution is too low for projecting desktop from the PC which causes the text to be fuzzy, tested in three PC's.

If you intend to use this for movies from an SD card, external hard or direct from a Camcorder it's a good Projector.
Watching photos is good also.

If you intend to use it for gaming then you need to look else ware to be honest.

All it all it's not bad but needs improvement.

EDIT: Just took my 3rd one back as the focus wheel started to click and the lens would not focus. I have another one now which seems ok for now. If it continues to work i will give it 4 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very portable, good performer, 20 Dec 2012
M. D. Harris (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

Set-up is pretty much plug and play. Get it out the box, charge it up, connect your media device and you're away. The controls are minimal - manual focus and volume, and buttons to navigate the straightforward interface. In use it's brighter than expected, while it doesn't have the power or range of a full size projector, it's more than enough for a normal room out of direct sunlight. Placed about nine feet from the wall it projects an image size of about 50 inches, the image quality is sharp and bright, if a little contrasty - more than good enough for PowerPoint/Keynote. Fortunately there was no sign of the RGB strobing that affects many small projectors. Audio is sufficiently loud and is nice and clear.

While you can plug it into the mains an internal rechargeable battery means it's easily portable. PC owners will probably find a cable in the box to suit their connectivity needs, Mac/iPad users may need adapters or extra cable to get connected. For ultimate portability it is possible though to connect just a USB memory stick and view video or pictures without the need for a computer/tablet.

My only gripe is the lack of a cable for iOS devices iin the box, but as Apple recently changed the dock connection on iOS devices I can understand Phillips not including one. Philips do sell a cable for iOS devices separately, but at the time of writing it was an eye-watering 35 - which I feel is way too much. Aside from this there is little to complain about, the PicoPIX is small, powerful for it's size and easy to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small and Compact, 15 Dec 2012
This is a great small projector - very surprised how easy it is to use - remote control and takes SD cards
I use this for taking my movies with me when away - and creates a small home cinema anywhere
Need to be out of direct light for full effect but resolution and images impressive - I have had a screen about 6ft across from about 10 ft away
Bought the Iphone cable as well for it - does not work on Iphone 5 but I found this is an apple issue on streaming ! I use the connector with my Ipod and all is good for showing pictures and even presentations from screen

4.0 out of 5 stars So close to 5 stars., 15 Nov 2012
I love New York (Not in New York) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've never owned a projector and when I was offered this through Amazon Vine I was really excited.

Upon arrival I couldn't wait to get into the box and once it was out I put it into action straight away. I watched the demo and was impressed with the quality of picture that I was getting on my wall and while the sound was pretty poor from the projector itself I put my headphones on and it sounded great.

Next step get some films on a memory card and set up the closest I will ever get to a home cinema. Prometheus was my first choice (oh well) as I'd redeemed my digital code from the Blu Ray and I sat down and got things rolling. The picture was roughly 70" and looked very good, small problem was no sound. It won't provide sound on MP4 files. Well it won't on mine and you don't get a user guide or no online user guide that I could find, so I was really disappointed.

I eventually worked out that the pre loaded demo was a .MOV and converted an MP4 file to .MOV and hey presto I could watch a film with sound.

I would be tempted to give this projector 5 stars for it's size, the quality of picture you get and the price, but given the hassle of converting files to a watchable format I'm taking a star off.

4 Stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Met all my hopes and expectations!, 24 Feb 2013
I did a bit of research before buying this projector, and had already decided to go for an LED source projector, in order to benefit from the long life and durability of the bulbs, as I expect this projector to be carried around in suitcases, etc...
It performed very well on a recent trip on which we rigged up a mini-cinema in a hotel room, with a sheet hooked up over some up-ended coffee tables, we created a 4x6ft screen right in front of us! We had to change our original plan of projecting onto the back of the sheet (the settings on the projector allow for this) as the light was so bright it was shining through the sheet into our eyes! Instead we had it projecting over our heads onto the sheet, and the lights turned off for a cinematic viewing of James Bond in Skyfall - brilliant!
I played the DVD on a laptop with some extra speakers plugged in, as the sound out of the projector itself doesnt really do a film like that justice.
We also used it for a photo slideshow of our recent wedding, for which it was fantastic! I downloaded the videos/photos onto the projector itself (it has about 2Gb internal memory) and then just held it in my hand and pointed it at a wall.
I have also used it with a portable hard-drive plugged straight into it, (although for some reason it didn't like it when I tried to use a USB extension lead to lengthen the conection).
It doesnt perform so well in a well-lit room, especialy at a distance from the wall/screen, but that is to be expected with LED projectors as they dont have the brightness of the alternative bulb projectors.
In a nutshell - for a very reasonable price, I got what I consider to be a brilliant bit of kit, especially when combined with some extra speakers (if you want better quality sound) and a tripod stand (bought separately). It was also smaller than I had expected - coat pocket-sized!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great once compatibility issues were sorted, 21 April 2013
I bought this along with the recommended cables to work with a Mac Air. It didn't. The VGA wouldn't work and we finally solved the problem by buying a VGA adaptor from China for about 2 quid.
The device itself is amazingly powerful for its size and now it is linking up ok I would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Put A Pico In Your Pocket., 25 Sep 2012
Brian - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Yeah , this is actually pocket sized , it just fit into my t-shirt's top pocket, so you can indeed carry your own cinema about with you. The PicoPIX is an amazing piece of technology , and I liked it straight out of the box. It's a lovely little projector, and is so easy to use, whether you want to view a slide show of holiday photos, or watch a film. The PicoPIX will connect to just about anything, including your camera, video recorder, pc , and even your iPhone/iPad/iPod! You can also view photos ,films ,and listen to music , from SD/SDHC cards, and USB sticks, projecting a good sized picture onto practically any surface. It's so user friendly , that it seems just like a toy to me, but in reality this is a state of the art projector, and Philips has done us proud. I'll say it again , 'it's so easy to use!'. The battery lasts for two hours, which may be long enough for some films, but not long enough for others, but I like the way that it asks you if you want to resume playing a film , from where you left off, if you don't watch it all in one go. The picture quality is very good,and bright, with natural clours, and the sound is clear, and you can attach headphones, for personal listening. The PicoPIX has a handy remote control, and comes with a nice carry case. There are various leads provided, and others ,like the iPhone/iPad cable can be purchased separately, if you have a spare 35 quid,or so!
There's a quick start booklet provided, but you can download a full user manual from the internet, which I have done. The PicoPIX would make a great holiday/traveling companion , enabling you to watch the photos , and film you've just shot, in the comfort of your hotel room - you can lie in bed, and view your stuff on the ceiling. yes, this projector doesn't have to be on a tripod or flat surface, you can just hold it with one hand, and point it wherever you like. The viewing distance is 5 metres which is good for something so small , and light. It's well designed, and gives me the impression that it will be quite durable. Philips have obviously put a lot of thought into giving us a good user experience here.They used to say that Philips were one of the top two tv manufacturers, so they've got plenty of expertise in this field to draw upon.
I'm quite taken with the charms of the PicoPIX, and I would thoroughly recommend it to all - so why not get your clicking finger in action, and start viewing your pics,and videos on the wall? I'm sure you won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Use it all the time when I'm doing presentations..., 8 Dec 2012
John "John75222" (Leeds, Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I do a number of teaching presentations when I'm mentoring student nurses and having this little (very little) gadget to project presentations onto convenient walls is great.

I really can't begin to describe how incredible this piece of kit is. It was easy to install into my laptop, fits in a coat pocket - but more importantly doesn't take up a great deal of room in my laptop bag, so is ultra portable. Virtually all the basic cables that you need are supplied with the unit; however, if you're playing an iPad/iPod/iPhone through you'll need to purchase the relevant cables. Basic set-up guide comes with it but the full manual is available online should you need it.

As you can use both SD cards and USB drives it's a gadget that you could take on holiday with you to review photo's or watch recorded video.

I've had no problems with projection, the image is sharp and the colours are true, and sound quality if you do use it to play clips or movies is very good for a unit this size, given the limitations over speakers that obviously comes with a unit this small..

I only really have a couple of concerns. You really need to plug this into an external power supply as its battery life is (to be honest) awful, running at two hours if you're lucky, and the build quality is such that it looks and feels a bit flimsy and not worth the money, but... this belies my own experience that suggests its actually very robust and well built. Worth the money for a very small, well spec'd portable projector.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works with a MAC but only through DVI-HDMI-HDMI mini, 30 July 2013
Bought this projector with high hope for occasional small meeting business use. High frustration initially in trying to make it work with a MacAir. Solution that works for me includes a Displayport DVI to HDMI connector and then an HDMI to HDMI mini connector

2.0 out of 5 stars Not compatible with Laptops or Mac books., 14 April 2013
Required cables are not provided. The recommended VGA (PPA1150) cable didn't even work with it. Waste of 20. Still trying to sort out what cable actually works with it. If you are planning to buy it for PowerPoint presentations via laptops. Don't buy it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›