4.0 out of 5 stars BE WARNED!!
Published 14 months ago by penfold29

3.0 out of 5 stars Otherwise is good solid head with a smooth action
If brought for use with a birding scope check it fits first. My Zeiss needed the rubber padding removing to stop fouling the plate. Otherwise is good solid head with a smooth action. Looks bulky but doesn't feel to bad. Told the QD plates are very expensive.
Published 7 days ago by Erich

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars BE WARNED!!, 2 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Manfrotto M Size Flat Base Pro Video Head MVH502AH (Camera)
OK you might be wondering why 14 people have given this head 5* and I have only given it 4*. I will get to the point!! extra Manfrotto plates for this head are a rip off, I do not know how anyone who sets the prices for these products can sleep at night, I even emailed them about it. they just tried to fob me of that I needed to ask someone ells. for the long plate on this head the cheapest I can get them for is £45 for a 4" peace of metal. GET REAL!! seen as the head with all its technology is around £130 just does not fit!! Manfrotto should be ashamed of themselves. FEAR NOT!!! I do have a solution which will help. there is a shorter version for the Manfrotto 501 and it fits PERFECT!! just a little shorter. you can get them off ebay for £16 may be less. manfrotto will not tell you this. but I have 2 of these plates. Eat that manfrotto!! Now I have finished ranting on that. one more rant. the older 501 which this 502 is meant to have replaced. has a balance thing on it. basically means where ever you put the camera it will stay exactly where it is even if you let go of the head handle. the 502 does not have this. now I have finished my rant on why I only give the head 4* apart from them 2. this head is fantastic. smooth, even with a very small light camera. I know some people have mentioned other heads were a little stiff with a smaller camera. not this. It is fantastic. so as long as you don't need the balance thing and you go to ebay for the extra slightly shorter plates you are laughing. You will defiantly not be disappointed!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good head., 23 Oct. 2012
This is a great tripod head. well worth the extra few £££ as an upgrade from the 700 series, which are distinctly average.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really like this head, Manfrotto 502, 21 Mar. 2014
This head is great in it's price range, it has a drag system for panning, and a counterbalance for tilting. Very smooth performance overall, excellent for light cameras like DSLRs, you can also choose another version of this head with ball mount, which is good for quick leveling.

Not suitable for slider, cause it's way too big and a bit heavy, should go for MVH500AH for that purpose.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fluid head if you're upgrading from something basic, 10 April 2013
I used to use a Slik 504QF II Video Tripod head that I got 2 years back. It was great whilst it lasted until the handle broke! So, I decided to have a look at more premium fluid heads, mainly Manfrotto ones. I had a look at the line of fluid video heads Manfrotto has to offer: the 701HDV, the 501HDV and the 502AH. I didn't look at the Pro Video Head 75 because I don't want to spend that much just on a fluid head.

I decided to go with the 502AH The 502 comes in 2 types: the 502AH which has a flat base, and the 502A with a bowl base (I think it's the 75mm size). I have a tripod with a 3/8" thread so I got the 502AH with the flat base. You can always upgrade to a bowl base with the Manfrotto 520BALL for 75mm bowl tripods or the Manfrotto 500BALL for 100mm bowl tripods.

To me, the 502 head looks so much better and professional than both the 701 or the 501 head thanks to the bridging technology that they say is sturdier.

When I pulled the head out the box, I could certainly tell that it was more than a step up from my old Slik head. The feel of it seems very robust and it is also quite heavy! The size wasn't very surprising to me because I knew the size of the head that I wanted. Definitely lives up to that aspect for me.

The handle comes detached from the head as I think most tripod heads come like that. When attaching it, I noticed there's a bit of a design flaw with the handle. There is the handle itself, and the clamp on the end of the handle which is actually what attaches to the head. The clamp uses a screw to attach to the head, whilst at the same time attaches to the handle and stops it turning in the clamp. You have to tighten this with a lot of force until the handle stops turning in the clamp so easily! There should be a thin piece of rubber on the handle or something to stop it turning.

The actual operation of the head is amazing! The Fluid Drag System (FDS) really helps you get smooth movements with the head. You can control the FDS separately on both the pan and tilt axis. You can have no drag at all which lets the pan axis 'float' due to the ball bearings and spins around continuously. I usually keep the tilt FDS tightened up all the way (I've got a 550D on a rig w/Matte Box, Follow Focus, Monitor etc) and when pointed down slightly, it doesn't move at all unlike my old head! I usually have the pan FDS almost done up, but not all the way.

The pan and tilt locks aren't exactly placed very well, but I don't really use these anyway.The red rings on the handle turn for some reason but they don't come off, so it's not that much of a problem to me.

The quick release plate is very long! I use both the 1/4" and 3/8" because my rig has 4 mounts (2 mounts for each), so I put the 1/4" at the front and the 3/8" at the back (this also helps it not to turn side to side). You need a coin or screwdriver to tighten these up, though. Apparently the QR plates from the 701HDV and 501HDV are shorter versions and will still work on the 502 head. I might adapt to these to make all my QR plates take this system apart from my monitor that I have a Neewer QR Plate/Manfrotto 323 (They're the same).

The QR mechanism on the head is simple. You just slide the QR plate in, it goes past the safety lock, then you have to tighten the screw on the side. Quick! (As the name suggests!)

Next upgrades will be a Lilliput 5d-II and then new tripod video legs! I'll be buying the 75mm bowl adapter probably!

5.0 out of 5 stars Manfrotto MVH502AH video head, 14 Jan. 2015
I have only had the chance to use this video head once so far, I use a Canon HF-G10 and I did a video of one of our dance and singing groups at the local theatre, I got placed up in what used to be the projector room in the days when it was a cinema, this space is about 80 feet from the stage and 12 foot up in the air.
I set the head so that it would tilt down and the balance spring would hold it in position when I let go of the handle, the tilt adjustment was such that it gave me full control with very little effort, being this far away from the stage area I had to use a little of the digital zoom to get some close ups , because the optical zoom on this Canon is X10.
Once satisfied with all the settings and how far along the camera sat on the head to give the balance, I marked them, ready for next time. Very satisfied with my purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars M Size ??? large quality !., 15 Dec. 2014
A. V. Bourn (london) - See all my reviews
No doubt about it, this is one great tripod head.. in more ways than one !!, its supposed to be a medium size head, but it is really quite large. if you are thinking of using this for a small camcorder or smaller DSLR, forget it. it will dwarf it and look stupid. but if you need the extra size, then you will have a great fluid head in the 502AH. very good pan and tilt with adjustable tensions. Built like a tank, but good looking with it. A lot of people on 'you-tube' mention the hard to get at locks, but I found them to be just fine. after all, you only lock the head after using it, not during use !.
A great fluid head for Pro use, but sadly not for me with my small Panasonic camcorder.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!, 27 Jun. 2012
The best tripod head i have ever used, am very happy about this product. Very smooth, I use 701HDV and Libec TH-650 DV to compare them with this, is like analog and digital.

5.0 out of 5 stars hated it at first but love it now., 30 Jan. 2014
Hooch6 (Bristol, South Gloucestershire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
when I got this at first, I used it on a normal tripod and was ever so disappointed. I then got a proper much much much more expensive video tripod and then realised how fantastic this thing can be. not sure why!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Kit, 3 July 2014
I am mainly a stills photographer and in the past made the mistake of buying cheap tripods, these days I have a couple of Manfrotto tripods (travel + studio) because good quality kit makes a difference. When I started to experiment with video I quickly realised that I really needed some help if I was to avoid video output with jerky movements on panning etc. so after thinking it through decided to buy this video head to use on my existing kit.

The first thing as others have mentioned is that I was surprised just how big it was compared to my existing heads which turns out to be no bad thing. It is superb kit with a variable resistance on your two key planes (horizontal/vertical), that you can choose to suit yourself and it really does the job, I am able to practice my 'moves' so that I can get smooth video results. A nice touch is that the handle/lever can be mounted on the right or left hand side to suit personal taste.

One cautionary note for DSLR users: The camera mount is a long rectangular plate which is secured at two points, a release button on the back and a screw in knob on the right hand side which engages a lock on the slide. I am using a quite large Panasonic shoulder mounted camera on this head and it fits fine because the bulk of any video camera runs front to back however, a DSLR fits 'sideways', the bulk of the body being at right angles to the front. The problem with this being that the right hand securing screw for the camera mounting plate cannot be tightened because it fouls the underside of the camera body.

This is not a problem if you are using a long telephoto lens which has a tripod mount so that it is the lens mount that you are fitting to the mount plate rather than the camera body itself. I have a 150-500 lens which I have mounted and it gives plenty of clearance to tighten up the side screw.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best choice in price range, 2 April 2014
Very smooth fluid movements, pro quality build details. I was tending more to the 501 head, in good time i decided to pay 30 bucks more and have this one! Like the sun and the moon :)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›