5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking first android phone
Although this phone is aimed at the 'yoof' market, hence the 'Y', I've bought this as a Christmas present for my lovely better half whom is a very youthful 'cough' year old :)

Published on 2 Nov 2012 by KM

3.0 out of 5 stars Its okay
Published 15 months ago by PAUL

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking first android phone, 2 Nov 2012
KM (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Y Android SIM Free Smartphone (Wireless Phone Accessory)

I've bought this model in the black and grey colours over the last 12 months for my two kids and have been really impressed with it for the price! My lovely better half isn't really into techy gadget-y stuff, doesn't do fakebook, twaddle or any other social networking (yippeee! another human other than myself not on fakebook!) and only needs to call and text to be honest but. . .I think she needs to at least have access to her Emails nowadays and be able to reply rather than waiting to get home and drag the laptop out, plug it in, charge it up then call me up saying 'how do I get into my emails again?' Hellpppp! because this little beauty can do that and more! I spotted this white one and think It's more girly for her so she'll like that! Brownie points, hooray :)

The Galaxy Y is a great little device measuring 104 x 58 x 11.5mm and housing a 3-inch QVGA (240x320) TFT touchscreen.

The screen is certainly small compared to my HTC desire HD, but Android 2.3.5 (Gingerbread) still works well -albeit looking rather grainy due to the low-res TFT display but that won't bother her. Pics taken with the onboard camera look okay and can be geo-tagged.

It fits nicely in the hand, the rounded textured back provides a comfortable and firm grip while weighing in at 98g so having a bit of weight to it.

The build quality of the Galaxy Y is sturdy with a solid feel to the handset when pressure is applied. The back cover is plastic but it fits snugly on the phone and when removed feels thick enough to be protective.

There is just one button on the right hand side which is the power/lock key, it is easy to reach when using one handed.

At the the top there is a 3.5mm headphone jack and a covered microUSB port. the cover is easy enough to remove.

On the left of the handset there is a volume rocker switch and a lanyard hole. Inside there is an 830MHz processor powered by a 1200mAh battery (a proper Samsung battery was supplied) Not the fastest but adequate enough in my opinion and its all good when connected to a broadband connection.

Samsung have stuck a tight fisted 160MB of internal memory inside which can be upgraded to 32GB with a microSD card. It came with a 2gb card and card adapter for the pc too.

Here's a quick rundown of the specs. . . .3G enabled, WiFi connectivity, Bluetooth, USB connectivity. Android OS version 2.3, 2mp Camera, no autofocus or flash though. You can record video, play music, there is a FM radio too! Running YouTube, social networking sites and downloading/using apps from Google Play, playing games such as Angry Birds is all good! It can also be used as a WiFi hotspot so some cheap-skate friend of yours can suck the life out of your internet usage if need be. Its also GPS enabled so if she gets lost in TK Maxx she'll be able to navigate her way out! Of course you get a charger, 2gb microSD card as mentioned and the USB cable.

She's had her old Sony mobile for about 5-ish years now so fingers crossed this one will be like a breath of fresh air and I'll be in the good books for Christmas, more brownie points! Yippeee 'where's me mistletoe' ;)

Highly recommended as a first android phone.

Hopefully my lovely better half won't read this as she'll batter me with the Samsung Galaxy Y (in white) for taking the mickey! In reality she's very technically minded and can send emails and stuff with no problem. She's a lovely girl.

Terrible cook though! ;)

3.0 out of 5 stars Its okay, 15 Sep 2013
I ordered this for my wife from macway Ltd via Amazon, i must say it was very quick delivery - i placed my order in the afternoon & by next morning it was here! well at first glance i noticed the box was rather small, so not much in there i thought, the seal was broken and had just been cellotaped back so i was weary what to find next because it was NEW or so the macway ad said so. In the box was the phone, 5 different coloured backings, the battery and the SD card along with a warranty card and a quick guide - thats it.

At a local retailer the same new boxed phone sholud have had the above PLUS a headset, a full instuction booklet, a stylus pen (as the keypad is figgley) and of course a kies cd softward to sync the device to your computer - these were missing and so the phone could not be used to its fullest. I had to buy these items seperate which in total cost me more in the long run. The phone was working and in good condition so i could not return it otherwise i think i would have.

the phone itself is great, my wife loves it, its very responsive and does all the things she wants it too besides it looks great too i must admit. so do be careful to check carefully what you buy online as somethings aren`t what they appear to be. For me personally i wont buy again from macway but the Samsung Galaxy Y young S5360 android mobile phone is a great little phone with lots to offer for a small price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Phone, 6 Dec 2013
I bought this for my mother who just uses it as a phone (no Apps) and as such has a decent battery life and is easy to use.

4.0 out of 5 stars My Nephew Likes it, 4 Feb 2014
I choose the phone from the name, samsung galaxy young, because my nephew is a young boy who likes to explore thingd like this.
He said he likes it.

4.0 out of 5 stars very good, 10 Aug 2013
it easy to understand and fits easy in your pocket and i like the features on the phone and display

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for a youngster, 2 April 2014
Gary H (Surrey, England.) - See all my reviews
I bought this as a Christmas present for my 10-year-old daughter and it fits the bill in every respect possible.
I do wish there were slightly more apps available on the Samsung website, particularly in respect of Instagram, Facebook, Snap Chat etc that the kids seem to use constantly.
It appears to be a great build quality and, as a first-time Samsung user, is simple and straightforward to get the hang of very quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Basic phone but just right for someone wanting something not too complicated, 26 Feb 2014
This phone does what it says on the packet. My first foray into this kind of phone and I am very happy with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars galaxy Y, 5 Feb 2014
I am taking some time to get used to it, but so far all ok Not gettring on to emails very easily.

1.0 out of 5 stars I have wasted £55 on a phone that won't reliably send or ..., 25 Nov 2014
The main problem with this phone is that it doesn't actually work as a phone at all. It keeps disconnecting from the phone network and once disconnected it has to be turned off and then on again to work properly. I've had it for four months and it has stopped working four times now. I returned it to Samsung for repair but they couldn't find a problem - I've now taken some photos of it in its unresponsive state and will send it off for repair again. I have wasted £55 on a phone that won't reliably send or receive calls or texts and Samsung will not replace it or refund me. I should have returned it to Amazon when it first went wrong during their 30 day return period but hadn't realised there was a time limit until it was too late.

2.0 out of 5 stars Fastsell - poor quality, 1 May 2012
Not impressed buying this from Fastsell. Product does not come with the original battery, instead they put some cheap no name Chinese battery. Also should ship with a 2GB mini SD card, but low and behold that was missing! So you can't use many of the phones functions out of the box instead you have to go buy a SD card out of you own pocket! when it say's its supplied!

Of course if I knew there was a chance / risk of ending up with a product from Fastsell like this I would have asked about battery / SD card. As it was I did send them a email 2 weeks before I bought this phone for my mum but they didn't get back to me. Not impressed at all - be cautious of being ripped off by these guys.

Re: the phone not much to shout about. Wished I'd bought something else for a few quid more.

Samsung Galaxy Y Android SIM Free Smartphone