4.0 out of 5 stars Good DVD
Published 13 months ago by Reviewer

1.0 out of 5 stars Rather rude and not very funny -- quite a disappointment.
Published 1 month ago by Mrs. MG

4.0 out of 5 stars Good DVD, 20 Nov 2013
This review is from: Tom Stade - Live [DVD] (DVD)
Like many people I became aware of Tom Stade when he slayed the audience (and me) with his meat van routine on Michael McIntyre's Comedy Roadshow. I went to see him on his recent "...Totally Rocks" tour and was very impressed so was waiting with baited breath for this DVD release. The agony was only prolonged by the release date being pushed back about a month but it's here now, just in time for Xmas !

IMO Stade is at his best when on the subject of relationships and modern life. There is a fair helping of the former, a little bit of the latter in the form of his Argos routine, but I was disappointed that his Groupon routine was not on this DVD.

In many ways my ideal Tom Stade DVD would just be a recording of the night I saw him live as I feel that routine was stronger than this DVD - he should do that, like bands, where they record the gig then sell it to the crowd at the end. However, he should be applauded for not over-using material as there was material on the DVD not performed on the night I saw him live so that was fresh to me.

The set was filmed at the Bloomsbury Theatre, meat van is on this DVD and there is one extra called "Messing Around" which, IMO, really should have been omitted.

If you like Stade I'd say it's worth buying.

Kudos to Andrew and Margarite as well 

1.0 out of 5 stars Rather rude and not very funny -- quite a disappointment., 3 Nov 2014
Mrs. MG (Derby, Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tom Stade - Live [DVD] (DVD)
Saw this fellow on Live at the Apollo and he was quite funny. So I bought this DVD and we watched it the same evening it arrived. I have to say we were very disappointed -- I think he said f*** about 20 times in the first 10 minutes and wasn't very funny with it, being quite rude as well. We watched about 5 minutes more, but had not laughed even once, turned it off and put it in the rubbish. (I wouldn't inflict anyone else with it.) We're not prudes, we love Lee Evans, Eddie Izzard, and Billy Connolly -- none of whom would pass BBC standards before watershed. But Stade seemed to think that just being rude or shocking is how to be funny. If you like Evans, Izzard or Connolly you probably won't enjoy this video. Would give it zero stars, if I could. 'Nuff said.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funniest gig I've ever seen!, 18 Aug 2013
This review is from: Tom Stade - Live [DVD] (DVD)
Have seen Tom a few times and this latest offering is a ball achingly funny set! Had the pleasure of front row seats in Sheffield for this tour, did I laugh? I didn't stop laughing from start to finish :-)

All new material from Tom and he's taken a "different", "dark" direction from his usual stuff. If you're easily offended go and buy Michael McIntyre's DVD or still buy this and BE offended, after all being offended is only a feeling, it won't harm you, you won't end up in A and E and you won't need counselling (well, you might but you only live once).

Tom is one of the finest comedians I've ever seen (and I've seen loads), he's learnt his craft the hard way and stuck to his roots. I'm so glad he's settled in the UK as it's made it much easier to see him (I wish Mike Wilmot would do the same but I suppose we can't have all the best Canadian comics).

This DVD deserves to hit the top of the stand up charts, waging war on mainstream "sell out" comedy. Tom, you are a comedic soldier, a leader in your field and deserving of a heroes medal.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have!, 10 Dec 2013
This review is from: Tom Stade - Live [DVD] (DVD)
I've seen Tom live a few times and he gets funnier and funnier each show.
His way of interacting with the audience and turning normal thoughts and observations into something so hilarious is priceless! You will not regret buying his DVD and i hope there is another one in the future.
A naturally very funny guy ツ

5.0 out of 5 stars Crying with laughter, 9 Dec 2013
This review is from: Tom Stade - Live [DVD] (DVD)
He is one of the funniest men about! Had me and my husband in fits of laughter will be looking out for him touring again

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Tom Stade Genius!!!!, 4 Dec 2013
This review is from: Tom Stade - Live [DVD] (DVD)
By far the funniest DVD I've seen in years!! Saw Tom live in Blackburn at the beginning of the year and this guy just gets funnier and funnier...defo a must buy for christmas presents!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy based on TV performances!, 26 Dec 2013
This review is from: Tom Stade - Live [DVD] (DVD)
I have just had a mortifying Christmas evening watching this DVD with my parents and 14 year old brother!

We've watched Tom Stade's short sets on Live at the Apollo etc, and have all found him absolutely hilarious and on that basis bought this for my little bro who loves comedy - we're a really open minded family and are happy to watch more or less anything together as I think we all understand that our sense of humour is a little on the base side, HOWEVER when you're rolling on the floor with the sheer level of cringe that this guy puts out between semi decent jokes (that we have heard before!) I thought I better say something!

If you buy this DVD you will hear a lot of his recycled material as used on TV, however the parts in between just aren't funny and he comes across as a sad old dinosaur. We had to turn it off after hearing for about the fiftieth time how long his (poor) wife had been servicing his junk for (seventeen years if you must know).

Afterwards I said to my mum: "I feel like I've bought him a Bernard Manning video!", her reply: "well, you have."

Overall this was disappointing and uncomfortable viewing and I totally would not recommend it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Love Tom Stade - but the DVD is not the best, 15 Dec 2013
This review is from: Tom Stade - Live [DVD] (DVD)
I have been a massive fan of Tom for the last 2 years, been to several gigs , introduced friends to his material and he is the best Stand-up I have seen no doubt.

Routine:

However I feel his latest material is not as good as his earlier material, which is observationally cleverer and not so offensive. I'm no prude but I prefer punchlines that are clever rather than shocking.

This DVD is both routines I have seen over the last 2 years put together and the great material like Argos, MeatVan and Primark are all there but sometime the new sketches (which arn't all bad) are too long and just about shocking the audience. Tom also uses audience members which is great but this also goes on a bit too long. Perhaps the earlier routine is more refined because he has been performing some of these jokes for several years and this isn't his first DVD with those jokes.

DVD Quality:

One of the oddest things about this DVD is how cheap the filming seems compared to other stand-up DVD's. It seems to have been filmed by amateurs who are trying to tick all the cliche boxes.

They interview the audience at the beginning which is done really poorly and there are so many cutaways throughout the DVD to the audience members laughing. Seems a bit old hat the way they have done this although when he is interacting with the audience it is understandable. But overall it lacks the quality finish expected from top comedians DVD's.

Overall:

If you like Tom Stade you must get this DVD! The material is a mishmash of quality but without doubt his confident delivery style is still the best I have seen. But it is a bit too rude and crude in parts for my taste which is normally quite broad.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, 19 Dec 2014
This review is from: Tom Stade - Live [DVD] (DVD)
We've seen him live twice and he is absolutely hilarious. So much funnier than a lot of the people that have been on panel shows who seem to have made it big for some bizarre reason. Absolutely loved this DVD, we watched it with friends and had to keep rewinding it as we missed parts laughing so hard. Definitely recommend.

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, 23 Aug 2014
This review is from: Tom Stade - Live [DVD] (DVD)
I like him but this contains nearly all material he has used already on TV

Tom Stade - Live [DVD]