Published 21 months ago by moi

3.0 out of 5 stars NEAT LITTLE BOOK
Some of the reviews to this book have been rather unkind.

This is a guy who clearly loves his Seventies music who is enlightening us to a few lost gems. Not over-detailed, but with a nice piece on each album, it has opened my eyes to a few albums I hadn't considered.

A similar book is '101 Songs to Discover From the Seventies'.
Published 14 months ago by HAYLING BOOK & MUSIC VENUE (HBMV)

5.0 out of 5 stars a joyful trip through the hidden-in-plain-sight lost gems of the 1970s, 13 Nov 2012
This review is from: 100 Lost Rock Albums From The 1970s (Kindle Edition)
Neither a joyless trudge through the well-worn canon of 'classic albums you-must-hear' nor a joyless exercise in crate-digger oneupmanship, this book opens out, through what is basically a series of genre overviews and a series of record reviews, a whole new vista of understanding for the history of recorded music in the 1970s, an era in which the record industry was arguably at its most prolific, its most profitable and often at its most daring.

Born of a boundless and omnivorous joy in music and a playful intellectual curiosity, Matt Ingram uncovers and breathes life into an impossible to second-guess array of hidden-in-plain-sight gems that one might well find lurking in the charity shops and provincial record stores. It is Ingram's evident pleasure in music, and the LP record in particular, as a means of connection between people and between moments in history through the epiphany of the musical moment that makes this book worth more than a thousand obscurantist eulogies to 'must have' private press psych / minimal synth / krautrock LPs.

4.0 out of 5 stars 100 Lost Rock Albums from the 1970's, 18 April 2012
S Riaz "S Riaz" (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: 100 Lost Rock Albums From The 1970s (Kindle Edition)
In the same way that, as an avid reader, I love books about books - as a music lover I also love reading books about music. This little volume comes with the warning - "Please note that all of these records are interesting, but not all of them are excellent! Tread carefully." However, there is much to explore here - 100 albums that have been neglected or forgotten, some by well known artists, some I must admit I have never heard of.

This book looks at rock albums in the categories of Blues Rock, Country Rock, Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Progressive Rock, Rock Fusion, Glam Rock, Solo Rock, Krautrock, Le Rock, Electronic Rock, Avant Rock, Pub Rock, Punk and Post Punk. This is a very personal list, but there is much that is worth of exploring and remembering. My favourite section was Solo Rock, giving Paul McCartney's first solo album and the excellent Nilsson Schmillson a well deserved mention. My favourite band name listed in this book has to be The Plastic People of the Universe. Great read and now I have to go and search through my boxes of old albums and see what I can unearth...

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 27 July 2013
Mr. Stephen Edwards "se1955" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: 100 Lost Rock Albums From The 1970s (Kindle Edition)
We will all agree or disagree with at least some of the selections,but this is a thoroughly enjoyable trawl through the backwaters of '70s popular music. Some of the albums, 'I Want to see the Bright Lights Tonight' or 'Thank Christ for the Bomb' for instance, were very well known indeed when I was a student, others I had never heard of.
Well worth a couple of hours of any music lovers time, and it has prompted me to download a couple of long forgotten classics.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 24 Dec 2012
This review is from: 100 Lost Rock Albums From The 1970s (Kindle Edition)
A great book. Very informative and told with humour and obvious affection for the subject. Would recommend it to any one trying to find some inspiration for adding to their record collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book !!, 8 Jan 2014
J. F. M. Low "Gazrock" (Pethshire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 100 Lost Rock Albums From The 1970s (Kindle Edition)
A very good book and one to look at in Kindle books !! It's interesting and I'd recommend to all music fans !!

4.0 out of 5 stars some forgotten gems in here!, 10 Aug 2013
This review is from: 100 Lost Rock Albums From The 1970s (Kindle Edition)
I've seen some reviews that disagree with the selection of albums for this book...but that's the point of it! I'm a big music fan with an eclectic taste (so I've been told!) and there are albums here that I've never heard of and want to listen to. For me that makes this book well worth exploring. If I find one album that I love and didn't know of it's existence prior to reading it - which is very likely to happen - then I'm a happy chappy!

3.0 out of 5 stars NEAT LITTLE BOOK, 7 July 2013
HAYLING BOOK & MUSIC VENUE (HBMV) "Hayling Is... (26 Rails Lane Hayling Island) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: 100 Lost Rock Albums From The 1970s (Kindle Edition)
Some of the reviews to this book have been rather unkind.

A similar book is '101 Songs to Discover From the Seventies'.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 29 July 2014
This review is from: 100 Lost Rock Albums From The 1970s (Kindle Edition)
I have read stuff before

1.0 out of 5 stars waste of time and money, 11 Jun 2013
This review is from: 100 Lost Rock Albums From The 1970s (Kindle Edition)
yeah theres a few inclusions that might be worth checking out but on a whole this is just way too much an amateurish effort by music lover gone critic over a few recordings he deems important to an era... dont give up the day job!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Enjoyable, 12 April 2013
This review is from: 100 Lost Rock Albums From The 1970s (Kindle Edition)
As someone who has written a couple of music appreciation/list books, 'Hail Hail Rock 'n' Roll: 100 obscure, neglected or forgotten songs of quality....' and 'Just What I Needed: 100 Power Pop Classics',of a similar type, I really enjoyed this book. We all know the classic albums that have sold gazillions, and many deserve to have sold that many, but over time they become a little over familiar. Therefore it is always good to hear someone else's opinion as to albums that are not so well known but may be worth a listen. As someone rightly said previously, the recommendations aren't always classics, however from my initial listens many of them are damn fine.Great book and looking forward to the follow up focussing on the 80s I hope!

100 Lost Rock Albums From The 1970s