4.0 out of 5 stars A well built usb 3.0, 7 port hub
*This review was written for for the U speed 7 port USB 3 hub with 3 Amp power supply*
I have only one usb 3.0 port on the laptop I tend to use the most, so was looking for a decent hub to take advantage of the extra speed on offer with USB3.

Published on 4 July 2012 by Amazon Customer

N's partner here, so no... i'm not a "mum to twins" as in her profile, I'm an IT manager and in all my years in that career I've rarely come across a product that looks so good yet performs so poorly at what should be it's bread and butter tasks.

Published 16 months ago by N

4.0 out of 5 stars A well built usb 3.0, 7 port hub, 4 July 2012
Amazon Customer (Cotswolds) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Anker® Uspeed USB 3.0 7-Port Hub with 36W Power Adapter and 3ft USB 3.0 Cable [VIA VL812 Chipset]

I wanted to be able to run my backup to my existing usb 3 external hard drive and add a USB 3 Blu-ray disc re-writer without continually swapping for one or the other.

This hub itself is good,if a little too shiny for my taste and, as is mentioned in other reviews it has no rubber feet -- there my gripes end though.

The supplied cable to connect to your blue USB 3 port is short but really substantial, as USB 3.0 has to supply much higher current, it is encouraging to see very good quality leads included with the product. DC does not travel well over long cables at the best of times so perhaps that is why leads are kept short.

Anyways, I plugged in the USB 3.0 hard drive and the USB 3.0 Blu-ray Drive and the lights illuminated for each connected device. They both continued to function as they were doing individually.

There's been no issues with the supplied power supply overloading nor any faulty usb3 out terminals as of yet so basically so far so good.

I'm getting very fast transfers between all USB3 devices connected to this and it is absolutely fine plugging in USB 2 at the same time,which run at the same speeds as they were doing in a Belkin USB2 hub.

All i'd advise is to preplan where you intend to use it before plugging a lot of things in or you're going to end up with a spaghetti tree of cables :)

I copied over 2.4 TB in one go using this to see how hot it might get, and it stays luke warm. I measured it performing close to 4.2Gb/s (which may be the speed limit of the device i was using)
The transfer stayed reasonably constant.

If you can,get the updated version,as it's very responsive to idle power states and usb wakeup events with a power supply that's not a wallwart.

To 31st August 2013, both hubs still work fine, what I find bothersome is the sheer brightness of the blue LED's which is pretty intense when you have all 7 ports connected.
This didn't initially seem a problem but at night I find myself turning these hubs over sometimes.
Perhaps a filter can be applied to them if it bothers you too.

1.0 out of 5 stars OK for ipods, mice, etc, but terrible product for usb 3.0 drives, 25 Oct. 2013

I bought two Anker USB 3.0 hubs, this 7 port one plus a 4 port one for my laptop. I really wish I'd not gone with this brand now. As another reviewer has said, the product is so unreliable when copying files from one USB 3.0 drive to another. Both drives do not require power via USB as they have their own so it shouldn't be a power throughput issue.

Whilst trying to copy 50gb of data from one drive to the other it just rebooted, disconnecting all devices and ruining the file copy... so I started it again, and again a few minutes later the file copy threw up an error and I got the (now) familiar sound of the USB drives disconnecting and then reconnecting. Six times I've tried it now, the same simple file copy between drives.... all failed with the same reboot failure. So I thought, huh...maybe it's a faulty 7 port hub, I'll try it on the 4 port one and see if I can at least get some files copied using that one.... yeah, you guessed it, same issue on the 4 port one too.

I really can't recommend this product to anyone... go with another brand that has mastered the simple tasks of getting a product that works as advertised instead of these Anker products.

3.0 out of 5 stars Working great on Windows, but has a few issues on my Macbook Pro, 6 Nov. 2012
Nathan Lenkowski (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
Overall the hub works pretty well, better than expected. I've got 5 ports connected to a variety of USB2 devices (Logitech mouse, HP printer, Western Digital external drive, etc) and haven't experienced any dropouts or other issues. Also, impressively, the throughput is virtually identical to plugging a USB3 external drive directly into my Macbook Pro 2012. So yeah, everything looks good.

I am having two issues though for which I'm going to be contacting Uspeed, both which appear ONLY on my Macbook Pro 2012 running OS X 10.8.2. Everything is working fine on another laptop running Windows 7 and a gaming box running Windows 8.

On the Macbook Pro only, my Seagate Backup Plus 1TB USB3 external drive is not detected when plugged into ports 1-4 on the hub, only ports 5-7 work. I don't know if this is a USB2 vs USB3 connectivity issue or what, but I have no problem connecting USB2 devices to ports 1-4. Also, when I reboot the computer, no matter what port the drive is plugged into it is not detected. The light is blue on the hub, but the drive doesn't show up in the Finder. I have to unplug the drive manually from the hub, then plug it in again to get it to show up. Its hard to tell if this is an issue with the hub or OS X, but my hunch is that its an issue with the hub since plugging the drive directly into the Macbook shows no such issues. Then again, everything works fine on the Windows laptop so who knows. These issues persist regardless of having installed the Seagate drivers that came with the Backup Plus.

I'll update this review after hearing from Uspeed, whom I've heard has excellent customer service.

----------------------

Updated!!!

I've spoken with Uspeed and they were extremely helpful and prompt. They confirmed with their technical team that the hub does have a defect and issued me a full refund. Also, they kindly indicated that I need not return it, so that saves me some cash in return shipping. I really wanted this hub to work, it's almost perfect and it appears for Windows users it is! I'm sure on their next revision they will fix up these issues on Macbook Pros with USB3 controllers and I'll gladly purchase again. Thanks again Uspeed team for working with me to resolve this issue so quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars A little longer than expected, but ports are not cramped, 28 Mar. 2012
Andy_atGC (London UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This looks to be quite a nice hub, in a popular 'piano black' case. The seven device ports are quite well-spaced and should allow some of the wider than usual USB flash drives and other devices to be connected without blocking an adjacent port as other hubs sometimes will.

The illustration is somewhat misleading in that it appears to show that the port indicators illuminate at all times. They do not, but only when a device is connected and 'live', in most instances that will be switched on or activated. The connector from PC to hub uses the stacked standard USB 3.0 connector, which should provide a more positive connection than the wafer thin micro connector sometimes employed and which seems unsuited to the rather heavy cable needed, which in this instance is no more than 0.9 to 1 metre in length. However, being a standard connector, the cable can either be replaced by a longer one or extended if needed. The mains adapter is the usual plug type, rather than plug and brick, but its lead is also rather short, again about 1 metre, so placement will need to be carefully arranged.

As there was a 'bulk' discount offer when buying 2 or more when considering the item, and as I had encountered issues with device disconnections of some devices regardless of which USB version they used with my previous hubs (some USB 2.0 and others USB 3.0), I decided to update all my hubs to these. Unlike another USB 3.0 hub I had purchased previously and which seemed very unhappy when used in a chain (one hub connected to another), these appear to be quite happy when used that way, as they would need to be if you have a solitary USB 3.0 port as on most current laptops.

Although it is early days and I have only used them for the briefest period, they do seem to work as they should, are barely warm in use (the power adapters are also very cool-running), but they can be used self-powered provided all the devices connected are either mains powered or low power (mouse, keyboard, wireless dongle etc).

Although a little pricier than some alternatives, and every comparable USB 2.0 version, these do offer 7 ports rather than 4 and compared to another that provides only 4 ports but costs about half as much again, it appears relatively inexpensive.

If there is any criticism, it is the absence of any non-slip feet, as the hub can slide around very easily on most surfaces, an inconvenience when needing to connect or remove a device which would then need both hands; a few blobs of Blu-Tack or a couple of adhesive pads will work if you cannot find some thin adhesive feet (Tandy used to sell them, but I have not seen them for some time).

It works as expected, is reasonably priced (especially if the discounts apply), is not too obtrusive and the indicators are not excessively bright. Recommended.

UPDATE @ 6-2012
As the product has proven to be generally reliable and stable, I have since purchased a couple more. Very occasionally, some or all of the devices connected to a hub will fail to come on-line (the port light will not illuminate and the device is not available). Should this happen, the best way to resolve it is to reset the hub by disconnecting the power cable and data output lead (the stacked one, not those leading to the devices) and to reinsert them after a few seconds. Two others have also had this happen, myself with 3 different brands of USB3 hubs, so it is not an issue specific to this product or to one PC. I don't recall it ever happening with older USB products and it appears to be an unpublished 'feature' of USB3.

UPDATE @10-2012
It is interesting to note that the product has now been updated with the latest version of the VIA chipset, but more importantly with a beefed-up PSU. The original produced only 2A. The new PSU is rated at 3A which, when reduced to the needed 5V internally by its additional circuitry, also has its current raised almost in propertion and approaching 1,000mA per port which exceeds the 900mA specified in the standard. This should reduce the incidence of Power Surge fault reports, not that many, which occurred with the older version.

If you know that your devices, external drives in particular but not exclusively, will demand more power than avaerage the obvious solution is not to overload the hub by using all the ports - leave one or two unoccupied or connect a mouse or keyboard which have much lower power demands.

POSTSCRIPT @04/2013

Please note that the review and comments above relate solely to the version with all 7 peripheral ports on one side and the USB and mains input sockets on the opposing side. The version with the additional charging port and with the ports equally divided along the longer sides is very different and it DID NOT WORK on either of 2 PCs to which it was connected, on one of which it was the sole hub used. It bonged endlessly and was never recognised. On one of those PCs it resulted in a screen message 'Insufficient USB Resources' which I have never previously seen despite sometimes using several hubs simultaneously on a single PC. Selected primarily as it includes a 48vA power supply (12v at 4A), which is greater than any similar hub, although a chunk of that power would presumably be more or less dedicated to the extra USB charge port, it proved a total disappointment.

Although I have used other Anker products very successfully and they actually support their products, the 7+1 hub is NOT RECOMMENDED unless it can be demonstrated to work as intended. Accordingly, I would give that product a too generous 1-star rating!

I had contacted Anker whose reply stated that either the hub, its PSU or the USB cable could have been faulty but, as they are the three constituent parts, they are stating the obvious.

Anker Uspeed USB 3.0 10-Port Hub
================================

This is a completely different design than their 7- and 4-port varieties, where with those, connections are made along a long edge. Here, the main ports are top-mounted and connections to PC and mains are at one of the short sides. There is a difference in presentation between two optional models; the silver Mac-styled version and the all-black version. The silver has a smaller power button adjacent to the power and USB input sockets but the black has a larger top-mounted one.

This design has another advantage and that is due its box shape with a foot on each bottom corner, it is actually far more stable on the desktop. It also has a minor inconvenience in that it has a switch to enable/disable the power input and that it obviously needs to be engaged for the device to become 'live'. The LEDs for USB connectivity do not illuminate until a device is inserted or connected and, if necessary, powered and switched 'on' which is common to the other designs, too.

As it is only very slightly more expensive than the 7-port model but offers 3 extra ports and better accessibility, this is the better choice for heavy users. For those needing an extra port or two, it makes little sense. There is no functional difference between the two options, but the black is plastic-cased with rounded corners and the silver is aluminium and a little more square.

As Amazon have grouped together all the Anker USB 3.0 hub products, and individual reviews are therefore impossible, I would also have awarded this a 5-star rating.

POSTSCRIPT @ 07-2013

I had experienced an issue while using the 7-port hub which could have been attributed to it alone, to a conflict with something else, to Windows 8 or to all three. As the same model was also being used on different PCs and they all exhibited the same issue, the hubs were blamed and the most recently purchased were returned to Amazon.

Anker became involved soon afterwards and there had been a lengthy exchange of e-mails, as a consequence of which I realised that there was another common hardware factor and, when that was removed from first one PC and then others, the problem ceased and has never returned. I informed Anker and advised that their products were considered blameless. They asked that I verify that by trying another of the same model, which has proven fully reliable. There is also a revised model which is cleaner in its lines but functionally identical, but Amazon were not then offering it for sale.

I had purchased other Anker products in the past and had not experienced any issues with them. But it is reassuring to know that Anker not only stand by their products but are willing and able to provide a high level of support should it ever be needed. I would not therefore hesitate to consider or purchase others of their products in the future.

4.0 out of 5 stars Uspeed 7-Port USB 3.0 HUB, 26 Oct. 2012
Item arrived well packaged, so no chance of the hub, power adapter or cables being damaged. Decent Instruction Manual, which is unusual these days. The Instruction Manual describes what to do, although it's not really necessary as everything is easily identifiable as to where it goes.

Hub was easily and quickly recognised by my Win7 64-bit Laptop, and worked first time. Added devices to each port in turn, and all worked successfully. My previous experience with hubs has been hit and miss, sometimes the hubs themselves don't connect to the PC and I've had more than one hub where one or more of the individual ports not work, and I've tried a mixture of cheap/cheerful and dearer/more substantial hubs. So a pleasant experience for everything to work first time.

It's easy to see which port is in use and live, with a bright blue light if the port has something in it and live, but if it's not active then the bright blue light is not on. The bright blue lights are a novelty at the moment, but I wonder whether I'll get tired of them as time elapses. It might have been better if the lights were not quite as bright, but that's my only criticism.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as expected, 6 Mar. 2013
J. Watkin (Whitley Bay, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I'm pleased to report this unit works perfectly and the transfer speeds are way and beyond USB 2.0 limits, the difference is just exceptional.
Large and small files are transferring to and from Hard Drives and USB Sticks as I would have expected to see from a USB 3.0 hub and the difference is quite impressive in comparison.

I would like to thank AnkerDirect for their brilliant customer service, on-going communication and their willingness to ensure my customer satisfaction.
The unit works perfectly and if you are looking to transfer files to portable hard drives, need more USB ports and have USB 3.0 capability this hub is an essential purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly for me with my Macbook Air, 25 Feb. 2013
A. Taylor - See all my reviews
I bought this to go with a dock I have ordered for my MB Air, this will mean I can dock my computer and the USB 3 port will be replicated to my numerous devices every time, one dock and no repeated polugginga nd unplugging of the devices.

One of the consequences of having an MBA is that it only has limited connectivity (there are only very limited places to put any in such a small machine), but it also has little in the way of hardware, No Disk drive etc. and once you have added any of these, you can't add more, due to the limited ports.

So, I needed a USB Hub, I also wanted to maintain the speed of the USB3 interface, this was the obvious choice, and a very good one at that.

The hub is powered meaning that all devices can operate at full speed and any that require it, can also charge through the device, I even use it to charge my PS3 controllers!

The only issue I have is that I now have far more wires on my desk, due to being able to keep everything there all of the time, but that is absolutely not the fault of the hub, and if you have a full sized PC, i think they would hide well behind that.

Highly recommended, absolutely no issues found twith this device, if you need a USB3 hub, why look any further?

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, 30 Jun. 2012
I like the design, nice clean simple. My favourite USB hub so far and I have used plenty. Easy to plug in and a good size to allow easy access.

Couple of niggly things, it's a bit lightweight so needs blue tac or similar to hold it down, and the blue LEDs above each USB port only seem to light up every other one.. for example I have items plugged in port 1,2,3,4,5 but have say only 3 lights on (ports 1,3,5).

It's not to do with USB3 or USB2 and it's not which is "active" as far as I can tell - maybe there is some logic but I haven't worked it out yet ;)

So I gave it 4 rather than 5.

1.0 out of 5 stars Issue with new Mac devices, 14 Nov. 2012
R. Stokes "crazykiwi" (UK) - See all my reviews
Works really well on my 2010 MacBookPro at USB2 speeds - all devices (including 5x hard disks) work without any issues. (As the laptop is USB2 I can't test throughput at USB3 speeds).
Moving the hub to a new 2012 Mac Mini with USB3 is a world of pain. All devices and in particular hard disks don't show up, vanish and are unreliable. Moving them back to USB2 on the laptop had them all working again. I have experimented with cutting down the number of disks on the hub as I thought it might be a power problem. The USB3 spec allows up to 900mA/port and the power supply is only 3A so I cut down to 2 disks however without any success. The disks are powered devices so shouldn't be drawing significant power in any case and with several other low power devices like USB pen/thumb drives not exhibiting the same behaviour I have given up and decided the hub is incompatible with late Mac models. There is a note with this product about incompatibility with the Retina MBPro and I am wondering if it is the same issue. Buyer beware if you are on a late model Mac!

1.0 out of 5 stars Expensive waste of money!, 3 Nov. 2014
I bought this item (not cheap at £31.99 for a USB hub) to upgrade from my old Belkin USB 2.0 to USB 3.0. I decided on the Anker Uspeed 3.0 7 Port hub because it had many good reviews.

Maybe I'm unlucky because the item I received was a piece of Junk! Having struggled through the badly translated user handbook, the alarm bells started ringing when it stated that the USB hub was not compatible with Logitech devices. You know, Logitech, the world renown PC peripherals manufacturer. This needs to be clear to potential buyers but isn't.

I plugged the hub into a USB 3.0 port on my desktop and the woe began. The hub is sometimes recognised by my PC, it sometimes decides to turn off. No, I said no USB device runs through it. Every time I get the "one of your USB devices is not recognised" I know which one it will be. I have just replaced it with my old Belkin hub and all is well with the world.

In my opinion this item is a waste of money. Now, where did I put that box to return it?

Update: Following the publishing of my review, the manufacturer got in touch and offered to replace the item free of charge. The replacement, so far, works well although I still would still have liked to have known, prior to purchase that it wasn't compatible with Logitech devices.