5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended for new readers of the Bible
Have you ever looked at the Bible and found it utterly dry and inaccessible? Well, this is the one for you! The NLT translation brings meaning to life and the notes and study aids give excellent background and historical context.
Published on 5 Nov 2008 by Hound

3.0 out of 5 stars good book but technical issues
I love the format of this bible but we had several problems downloading it. Customer services were great and after removing it and re loading it again it worked well.
Published 16 months ago by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended for new readers of the Bible, 5 Nov 2008
I am a strong reader of the Bible and have various Study Bibles. I have the NIV Study Bible and the NIV Life Application Study Bibles (from Zondervan). I have NLT Life Application Study Bible (from Tyndale). For those who do not know: 'Study Bibles' tend to be historical and non-evangelical for those who wish to 'explore and read'. 'Life Application Study Bibles' are for those who wish to learn about the application of the ideas presented in the Bible as a practicing Christian (and tend to be evangelical in flavour).
However, this new Study Bible is not really 'just another clone' of these two formats. It feels different and new.
It follows a non-evangelical model giving excellent background information and tying it into the development of Christianity over time. So it talks in Christian language while appealing to those who wish to explore and read as well as those who are more evangalical. It sort of straddles the two formats I have mentioned above.
At the moment I see it as everything I have ever wanted from a Study Bible but never had.
The dynamic equivalence language of the NLT may not be for everyone but in this context it is absolutely excellent. The text is already 'translated for meaning' and therefore this frees up the notes to expand and explain further, to set the scene and deliver the context of the development of the story of the Bible and Christianity.
This Bible is highly recommended for new readers of the Bible as it is very readable and gives excellent background. If you've been searching for the right tool, you've probably found it (or at least this reviewer thinks so).
Well done Tyndale - your products are innovative and excellent! They bring the whole thing from the dusty old pulpit into the twenty-first century.
It is the best combination of 'Study Bible' and 'Life Application Study Bible' with individual biographies and new information and excellent format.
The notes are excellent. The type face is excellent.
One small suggestion to Tyndale for a future product in case you are listening: take the NT alone (and the three chunks of the OT separately and each in turn) and create an even more detailed product going into even greater background detail etc. Thus those who have grasped this product can buy 'chunks' of the Bible to move to in the same format for further detailed study. The NT would probably sell very well.
This new NLT Study Bible is an absolutely excellent product and very highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars NLT Study Bible (Black Bonded Leather), 8 Oct 2008
I received a copy of this Bible from Tyndale directly and I must say that it exceeded my expectations of it. Thinking it to be a souped-up clone of the Life Application Study Bible, I found it to be a loaded study tool for the serious Bible student.

The layout is clear, distinguishing the notes from the Bible text, with good section and book introductions, person profiles, articles and an in-depth concordance. If you want a good introduction to deep Biblical study, I would recommend this Bible to your use *****

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable format, fresh insight, great presentation, 17 Jan 2009
I have been looking for a comprehensive study and analysis aid to the Bible for some time

I have been hovering over the Life Application Bible for some time but one of the oddest reasons why I kept picking it up and then not buying it each time was the very poor typeface and small font

The first thing that struck me - and my reading glasses are not up to date, I need new glasses for my longsightedness, was that I could read it easily

I looked up the ISBN and edition page and discovered that Tyndale the publishers had specifically had an excellent and very readable font designed for them called Lucerna. Well done Tyndale it makes the bible very easy to read even for one such as me with not very good eyesight

Unlike some bible commentaries and notes this one seems so fresh and very engaging

I can't wait to work through it all!

David

5.0 out of 5 stars NTL study Bible, 29 Jan 2010
This is a great Bible in assisting to understand God's word more clearly, Has made reading the Bible into a exciting daily habit. Worth the buy!!

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing package, 19 Oct 2009
Tommy "G" (South Coast UK) - See all my reviews
This is a great resource in assisting to understand more clearly what God's word is truly about. Has made reading the Bible into a contagous exciting daily habit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well put together, 17 April 2009
S. Cosslett "Booky" (Devon England) - See all my reviews
The NLT is my favorite translation and I find study Bibles incredibly helpful, so this Bible was a no brainer for me. The Bible is well laid out with plenty of information to help you delve deeper into the text; from verse by verse explanation, introductions to each book and several small articles as you go through.
If you like the NLT and are wanting to go deeper or lead a small group for example. This is the Bible for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Readable Bible, 4 Feb 2009
Graham Bell (Notts UK) - See all my reviews
The NLT version of the Bible is very readable - using modern language and idiom. This study version adds to its value and was bought as a gift. This version was outstanding value amongst the versions on the Amazon site.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Beautiful Bible, 9 Mar 2011
The Bible arrived this morning so it is too early to comment on the NLT version itself. I'm looking forward to it being a very readable modern version of the Bible to read alongside other more literal word for word translations.

I did however want to comment on the quality, which is superb. It is beautifully leather bound with gilt edged pages. The paper quality is pretty good by Bible standards and considering that there are nearly 2500 pages. The font size looks just right with the biblical text in two columns being larger than the three column commentary.

All in all this item represents brilliant value for money and has easily surpassed my expectations.

4.0 out of 5 stars NLT is the one for me!, 27 July 2011
John K. Tancock "John Tancock" (Swansea Wales) - See all my reviews
This is good, very good.
Not including colour like the ESV but it avoids a party line and doesn't continually tell me what to believe on each sunbject (like many study bibles). The Greek and hebrew word index is excellent. the notes succinct and cross references 'on the button'.
I'm more of a fan of the notes than the translation but I still view this as the best reference bible 'out there' at the moment. It to my mind beats the ESV and is much more accesible than the NIV study bible but with the still high quality of the writing and scholarship.
Anyone, old hack or eager student would benefit from this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Study Bible, 8 Nov 2012
This review is from: NLT Study Bible (Kindle Edition)
This is a very good study Bible. I read a review suggesting it is the best of its type and bought it. I would like to use it over a longer period before making such a claim but I can say that I like it very much. The introductions to the books are concise and clear in summary form - helpful to the general reader. I like the theme notes which develop the main themes and ideas of each book. The timeline for each book is also helpful in putting a book in its chronological context.The brief notes at the bottom of the page relate to sections and verses above and are helpful, sometimes giving the literal rendering of the original. The grey maps in the text are clear to my old eyes and helpful. Charts organise information in the text in a form which facilitates understanding and diagrams do the same to show relationships as in the case of Terah. There are also profiles of some Bible characters which is helpful in character study. Parallels with other books, as in the Gospels, are indicated where appropriate. As well, there are suggestions for further reading, which indicate books which the student may consult with confidence. This is a seriously good study bible and I can see it being very useful to the general reader, the busy pastor, the student and even the academic who is looking for material easily accessible.

The translation is in the modern idiom but I like what I have read of it. It is not a word for word translation but it can be compared for that with the ESV. It is similar to the NET Bible available free on the internet but the latter's translation notes are a rich resource in seeing the original text and different possibilities in translation. In my daily reading on Kindle I read the same passage in about five translations and I do like the NLT very much.

Lastly, I think it is time to draw a line under English translations for about fifty years. It seems to me that many are simply repeating what others have done well, sometimes at the behest of publishing houses who may have profit motives in mind. The International Court at the Hague, or other world body, should ban English translations of the Bible for fifty years! The multiplicity of translations has done serious damage to the memorizing of scripture. I give it four stars as a seriously good study bible. After more use of it, I might even give it five.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›