5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and darkly humorous
Cellar Door is the second novel from Paul Fenton, author of Punchline and it confirms that he is no one-book-wonder. As the story unfurls we are drawn into the lives of a young couple who lose their jobs and face serious financial hardship. What they find in their cellar could change all that but finding it puts them in danger.

If you don't like strong...
Published on 9 Jan 2012 by Ignite

1.0 out of 5 stars Fairly poor and beggaring belief
I am amazed this book has received five star reviews. It is quite honestly fairly poor and with a stretch of the imagination could inspire a two star rating. The fact that the story is implausible shouldn't be a showstopper but the author needs to make the reader believe in the tale or make the reader care about the people. He doesn't manage either. The five star...
Published 6 months ago by janner37

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and darkly humorous, 9 Jan 2012
Ignite (East Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Cellar Door (Kindle Edition)

If you don't like strong language you will not even get as far as the beginning of Chapter 17 which had me laughing so loudly on a train journey that I startled a fellow passenger. The book is brilliantly written and brimming with Paul Fenton's wickedly funny dark sense of humour. He can go from hysterically funny to deeply poignant in a few words - an enviable skill. I look forward to yet more work of such quality from this talented writer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down!, 8 Mar 2012
This review is from: Cellar Door (Kindle Edition)
This is the first book I read on my Kindle, having been initially attracted by the title (think Donnie Darko/ Edgar Alan Poe). At first I thought I had made a mistake, due to the main character's use of bad language, use of (to me) derogatory terms like 'chick' to describe his wife, and their constantly jumping into bed.

However, this all fizzles out as the story progresses. When a discovery in their basement sets in motion a series of extraordinary events, the relationship between risk-averse Zak and his risk-taking wife Sara, gets turned on it's head.

Set in contemporary London, it deals with familiar themes such as job loss, the recession and casual drug use in a frank and often hilariously funny way.

I thoroughly enjoyed the book, which I read in 2 days straight and then went on to read the author's first book 'Punchline'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cellar Door, 13 Mar 2013
Joo "kuforum" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Cellar Door (Kindle Edition)
I can officially say, now, that P.A Fenton is one of my new favourite authors. This is the third book I've read by this author and is a thoroughly fab read.

Zac and Sara have lived in their house for a few years when Sara loses her job (again). They need some money, so she looks in the cellar for something to sell on ebay. What she finds down there is beyond anything she could have thought of. Obviously there's a lot more story to my summary, but needless to say things don't go quite right.

This is a story of obsession, of one-mindedness, when you can't think of anything apart from what is in front of you and your life starts spiralling out of control. There is some dark humour in here and some bad language (which is often used for comic effect).

I really didn't know where this was going. That's the good thing about tasting a bit of an author, then blindly going into the next book without reading the synopsis, the twists and turns are even more twisty and turny.

I think this is probably my favourite book so far this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great light hearted comedy, 27 Jun 2012
R. Marnane (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cellar Door (Kindle Edition)
This book was not what I was expecting but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I found myself getting excited about what the characters would find in their cellar next. I wanted to be exploring with them. It had me laughing in places and was well written. Definitely recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 21 Aug 2013
This review is from: Cellar Door (Kindle Edition)
This was a really unexpected pleasure.
I wasn't sure what to expect from the cover, maybe a horror or a predictable thriller. Instead I found a very inventive tale, beginning with an ordinary couple exploring some old 'junk' in their cellar (who could resist looking for forgotten treasure), which changes the direction of their lives in a surprising way.
As the story gathers pace it becomes an exciting page turner peppered with real humour and drama towards a twisting conclusion.
Well observed and well written. One of the best reads I've picked up this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars funny, 13 Aug 2013
This review is from: Cellar Door (Kindle Edition)
love the way its written, kept me turning pages, very funny. He has a way of understanding how people really think. loved it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth reading to the end, 20 Mar 2013
This review is from: Cellar Door (Kindle Edition)
I must confess to getting a bit stuck in the middle of this novel. It became quite dark and I couldn't work out where it was going, so I abandoned it for a day or two and read something much lighter. But I had found the start so intriguing that I wanted to find out what would happen so once I felt strong I carried on and towards the end found I couldn't put it down after all. It was a very satisfying read in the sense of being well-structured and well-written, with characters whose actions seemed believable even if they weren't really!

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh out loud, 25 Dec 2013
This review is from: Cellar Door (Kindle Edition)
This is the first book that genuinely made me laugh out loud. Great storyline and loveable characters. Honestly, reading most of this book in a cafe, I was getting odd looks from other customers, as I was giggling to myself throughout.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 23 Mar 2013
This review is from: Cellar Door (Kindle Edition)
This book is a thoroughly entertaining read, one that maintains a high standard throughout its well paced length. Its clever and original story is sprinkled with sharp dialog and is filled with pleasing twists and turns.

On rare occasions a book appears suddenly over your horizon causing a deep impact - this one has left behind a smiley shaped crater.

5.0 out of 5 stars great read, 15 Mar 2013
This review is from: Cellar Door (Kindle Edition)
Easy to read, enjoyable, interesting story. Easy to connect with the characters. . . . . . . . .

Cellar Door