Format: Kindle Edition|Change

on 28 July 2012
I actually purchased this directly from Mimi's website, so it came personally signed and with jewellery. After seeing an interview with her featuring as 'Sexiest vegetarian over 50' I could not believe my ears when Mimi said she was 70. (She is now pushing 73 and still looks incredible!) So I was pretty excited for this book. And wow, I was right to be excited....

I'm 18 years old and have been a switching vegetarian-pescetarian for almost six years now. I tried out veganism for a few months last year. At first I felt great, but then grew lazy with it and just ate quick and easy things, like beans on toast... Eventually, I felt so rubbish that I just became a pescetarian again. I knew something must have gone wrong, and when I read Mimi's book I realized what it was... the effort! Her book has educated me on what nutrients the body needs, and where they can be found in raw food. There is no nutrient that must be ingested only by meat, fish or dairy products. Mimi not only shares her delicious recipes, but writes about how beneficial raw food is for your body and mind whilst presenting logical arguments as to why we do not need to live on animal consumption. She even drifts from diet to how to be the happiest and youngest you can possibly be,

I have now changed my junky pescetarian diet to a clean and healthy vegetarian one. I am going to introduce more vegan food to my diet and see where it takes me. But Mimi has certainly vanquished the delusion I had that my diet was good... 'Pescetarian' was more of a cloak to hide the fact I didn't eat very well, even if I didn't eat meat. So adopting a fresh, organic, no-junk vegetarian diet is a huge step for me. It's exciting to try out new recipes, both from Mimi and other healthy vegetarian cooks.

Even if you are unsure of whether to become a vegan or not, this book is a fantastic way to start learning about the raw vegan diet and try out some delicious recipes (even if they're just smoothies or juices to start out with). I would recommend this to anyone who wants to improve their health.
11 comment|86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 September 2011
loved this book, watched alot of Mimi on you-tube before , decided I needed more food ideas. Sometimes wish we had the climate and souces for food that she does in the states.
The book is easy to read and has some great ideas for food to share with non- raw friends, I found it very good, x
on 8 October 2011
Mimi makes the raw food lifestyle and diet accesible for all and weaves a beautiful tapestry with her words. This book is chock-full of helpful information and delicious, easy to prepare recipes for everyone from the novice raw foodist through to those transitioning to or already practising high raw. I have dozens and dozens of books on raw food and Mimi's is a standout! Highly recommended.
on 3 February 2014
The recipes all work well & its incredible that Mimi Kirk is 74! She looks amazing, hardly surprising given that her lifestyle evolves around making & eating these gorgeous, healthy recipes. All the ones I've tried are delicious. Recommended highly.
on 3 June 2013
This book has good recipes. And I have so much energy
I have no more constipation. And I have a glow to my skin and I feel great.
on 11 January 2012
I was very spectacle about this whole raw food thing. I couldn't believe how many recipes were in this book! I was expecting salads and soups but this lady has everything you can imagine from burgers to cheesecakes. I cannot wait to start with all this. She has also included a great introduction about keeping healthy through out your life and a little about her background which was fascinating. Everyone needs a copy!
on 17 May 2012
This is a great Raw recipe book. So many ideas and helpful tips. Mimi has done a terrific job of showing how important diet and lifestyle are. Would recommend this to anyone, raw vegan, vegan, veggie or even a meat eater.
on 27 January 2014
Delivered quickly, really good quality. Good book with lots of ideas, I bought it as a gift and I was really please with it - will have to get one for myself :)
on 18 October 2013
I was looking for a book that would give me ideas to create simple meals that do not require too much preparation as I am busy with kids and work. Well, the recipes look good but they are way too time consuming for a busy person.
on 25 August 2013
This book was bought with the intention of introducing many more raw foods into my diet. It was a waste of time. The book itself is beautiful, and the enthusiasm and passion of the author is obvious - BUT the recipes don't give you any information as to what temperature to dehydrate at (is it supposed to be 118 for everything - if so, where is it in the book? Did I miss it?). I tried the flax seed crackers and there was just no information about how thick they should be, HOW to turn them over in the dehydrator. Possibly these are things an experienced raw foodist would know, but for the beginner (me) it's all a mystery and I found the recipe frustrating and the end product not terrific. There's also a LOT of what I would call "preaching" in the book - just tell me how to make the recipes and give me some instruction! As I say, not for the beginner.