5.0 out of 5 stars Don't be afraid of Virginia Woolf

Published 7 days ago by Wallis

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't be afraid of Virginia Woolf, 11 Jan 2012
Ivan Proctor (Gloucestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Delphi Complete Works of Virginia Woolf (Illustrated) (Kindle Edition)
Right, there are easier authors to read than Virginia Woolf. I remember at school, because I thought it would be a good book to be seen reading, struggling with the first three or four pages of The Waves before putting it aside to come back to later. And even this fine compilation is unlikely to tempt me to take up that struggle again. But there is much more to be enjoyed in her prolific output. To the Lighthouse, densely textured though it is, presents a fine picture of her childhood summers spent at St Ives in Cornwall and has a sympathetic portrait of her mother. Flush and Orlando are much easier than some of the more abstruse novels. In addition you can find here the literary criticism of the two volumes of The Common Reader, the keenly observed portraits of London in her London Essays and her early feminism expressed in A Room of One's Own. If you have any interest in Virginia Woolf or in literature of the first half of the 20th century then collecting this for your Kindle is really a no brainer. A great collection, easy to find your way around and hours of enjoyment browsing in what is, even if the content is sometimes obscure, some of the most beautifully written prose of the last hundred years.
A recent update to this collection, available free to original buyers, has added A Writer's Diary, a wonderful selection from Virginia Woolf's diaries made by her husband after her death. He selected those passages dealing with literature and authors, including her comments on her own works as they were written. It is a fascinating read and includes such things as an account of her meeting with Thomas Hardy in 1926.

4.0 out of 5 stars The text is nice, I can read it, but I'd like better formatting, 6 Feb 2013
It's a common complaint, but it's annoying to not be able to tell where you are in an individual book. It'd be nice to see future complete works place bookmarks on the start of each book at the very least, as is it infuriating to have thousands of pages and have no clue where you are within them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional value, 14 May 2012
These Delphi Classics collections really do provide extraordinary value for money. Woolf's novels are not for me. I found 'To the Lighthouse' in particular, a nightmare of a book. Trying to find my way through the 250-word, oddly-punctuated sentences was like blundering through a literary fog. Pages devoted to the description of something trivial, and then dispensing with the death of a central character in a single phrase, left me wondering what on earth the author was trying to tell me. But the advantage of a complete works collection is that everyone will find something to enjoy. I found some of the short stories a delight and most of the non-fiction items fascinating.

4.0 out of 5 stars Complete?, 23 Feb 2012
I am no expert on the works of Virginia Woolf; in fact, I find her style difficult to grasp at times, but I decided to buy this collection in order to supplement the few volumes of her work that I own in conventional book form. One of these is a set of 48 essays entitled "Books and Portraits" published by Triad/Panther books in 1977 which contains Miss Woolf's writings on such writers as Thoreau, Turgenev and Mrs. Gaskell and on other figures such as Queen Elizabeth and Sarah Bernhardt. I have tried to find these essays in the Delphi Classics kindle edition but have failed to do so. As with other Delphi Classic collections that I have purchased, I find that this issue is quite easy to navigate so I don't think that these essays are hiding from me!
What is here appears, from the titles I have so far examined, to be very well done and I have no hesitation in recommending it at its modest price. I don't think it's absolutely complete, however.

5.0 out of 5 stars She was a great analyst as much as a poet, 19 Aug 2014
Anyone interested in literature has to have that edition. Virginia Woolf is the most dedicated writer to the mind of people. She was a great analyst as much as a poet. I have to read her essays again and find out that she had guessed it all. I cannot recommend that edition of her writings enough. It's all in here.

4.0 out of 5 stars Complete virginia Woolf, 13 Feb 2013
There are a few annoying punctuation and spelling faults, but otherwise the complete works are just what you would expect - an excellent read.

1.0 out of 5 stars She'll probably come back and haunt me for this but here goes..., 14 Dec 2014
At the risk of becoming an 'un-person' as a result of posting this review, I have to admit that if I'd witnessed Virginia Woolf moving in the general direction of a river, I would have tossed her a couple of bricks to further hasten her end. I loathed her work at school, and at university. Having revisited her work in later life, I loathe it even more. If only she'd died at birth! Future generations would then have escaped the awful fate of having to (a) read her overdramatic drivel, and (b) pretend to enjoy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Have found looping frustrating!, 11 Aug 2013
One frustrating point -whether related to the software of this edition ,I don't know -is the looping which occurs from one reading session to another. I am greatly enjoying the books in this format but accessing the list of titles is very difficult and I have had an annoying time trying to refind where I left off when it has looped to the beginning of the first book! As this only happens with this edition, i am wondering if there is a problem (rather than that my Kindle is going wrong!).

5.0 out of 5 stars Woolf revisited., 25 Jun 2013
Patricia Fawcett (Bangor, Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
Having read some short stories and 'To The Lighthouse' many years ago, I included this on my holiday reading. Woolf's work, whilst redolent of another era, stands the test of time. Her narrative remains fresh. This is a book to which I will return.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 21 May 2013
It is great to have all of Woolf's works in one place where I can dip in and out of them as I please.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›