on 31 August 2013
This fantasy novel delivers a rich tapestry of dragons, sorcerers, knights and the occasional monster - in the form of General Jedah. Kale is the last of his race - a young dragon. He's a bit feisty and temperamental and initially believes that his fate is sealed when General Jedah takes it upon himself to rid the kingdom of his kind. From there, the reader embarks on a fascinating journey , where Kale's most trusted advisor, a sorcerer, turns him into a human to escape the grasp of his enemies. The trouble is: Kale hates humans and despises most of them with a passion. Follow his journey as he tries to recapture his dragon form...

This is an immensely enjoyable fantasy tale featuring adventure, romance and the odd spot of humour. The plot, which is highly original, has numerous twists and turns to keep the reader guessing and although the book ends on a satisfying note, you will be anxious for the next installment. I am!

5 Star Read!!!
on 8 November 2015
I liked this enough to finish it, but was so annoyed with Kale's decision at the end I nearly threw my Kindle across the room. This story of a young dragon indifferent to the world around him, forced into human form with some of his dragon abilities modified along with it, is interesting reading but awfully juvenile. The characters come across as just that - characters in a story. For some reason they don't breathe life. Neelan the young female elf was particularly annoying, selfish, controlling, jealous and acting like she owned Kale who she barely knew! Kale falling in love with her was totally unbelievable. As someone else said, the Americanisms get really irritating, especially that word 'atop'. it is so overused it should be banned! Don't they get taught alternatives at school? There are so many options they could use just for this word alone! I couldn't quite see why the author referred to Neelan's eyes as 'glassy' at one point. She was not staring or tearful, so in this instance it seemed insulting. The grammar was off too, for example 'had not awoke' instead of 'awoken'. Then there is the dryad Elanya. She speaks in shalts, thees and thous, then at one point says 'musn't' which is a mismatch. There was also a modern phrase or two put in the tale - something I think not English - 'prep her morale with positive reinforcement' ! This was totally out of phase with the rest of the text! I also resented mice being referred to as vermin. As an animal himself, Kale would surely not have thought this way.
The book is very cheap so I should not complain too much, but I felt it lacked a certain maturity in the writing style, as can be seen from the examples I have listed. If you want a light read before bed or on the bus, this is OK. But it is far from the best fantasy I have read.
on 8 January 2014
I wasn't sure if I would like this after reading the synopsis but soon found myself totally engrossed in the story and with the main character. . An unusual approach to the genre that I thoroughly enjoyed
on 19 May 2014
I chose this book because I am mad about dragons .very good ,took a bit of getting into ,but once I had read this first book I could not wait to read the second .
on 11 January 2014
It is O.K I suppose. Nothing special though. I find some of the Amkerican terms used a bit annoying . Snuck instead of sneaked and dove for dived . Takes all sorts .
on 7 May 2014
A very good read, and quite funny in places, I am hoping the second book is as good as the first, not too complicated and makes for an easy read
on 10 June 2014
Particularly good for teens due to the style of writing and the straightforward way the story unfolds without too many sinister twists.
on 21 December 2013
The concept is good but the author writes like a child and the story is very jerky. Also there is no editing and huge mistakes.
on 11 June 2014
cannot make my mind up, not a bad idea but needs to accelerate a bit in 2nd volume. might give it a try if the price is right
on 20 January 2014
Captivity throughout keeping the reader in suspense of which way the vengeance of one person whose hatred of the Dragon holds no bounds. Treating everyone in his army to the utmost cruelty in the kingdom to achieve his goals. The journey of the last Dragon is full of fantasy and the bravery of his 3 friends whom he meets along the way with many twists, turns and battles along the way.