Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire

on 15 March 2012
This macro flash is adequate for a beginners foray into macro photography. The LED's are a little on the bright side even on the lowest setting, however ideal for my purpose (dental photography).
on 4 June 2012
This is a useful bit of kit especially when used in conjunction with a light tent. I use it to photograph small objects such as jewellery etc for insurance purposes. Cheap enough for occasional use. I also use the light-ring (light only), without flash, to copy documents and referece papers.
on 31 March 2012
I purchased this through Amazon for use on my new Canon EOS 600D for macro photography. It arrived this morning very promptly and adequately packaged from Smart Shop UK. The kit includes a comprehensive number of adapter rings, and the LED flash ring unit was quickly and easily fitted to the camera lens with the control unit sliding into the hot shoe without difficulty. The flash has three switchable settings and can be set to full, left, or right - and the flash ring unit can easily be rotated in its mount to give downward (or upward) direction to suit the subject. On the 600D there are some idiosyncrasies: the flash will not, for some reason, fire while in Live View mode. However, it fires readily and synchronously when L/V is switched off. For static subjects with the camera on a tripod this will present no problem as the shot can be composed in L/V and then quickly switched over for the shot. The camera's menu screen seems to recognise that an external flash is connected, but maintains it is switched off when it is on! Just ignore this. It must be said that my first test shots using flash were somewhat overexposed, even when intensity was turned to the lowest setting - the light intensity can be adjusted through three settings up or down to + or - 1.5. I currently feel that the correct setup of lens, mode, distance and flash setting for macro subjects will soon be discovered with a little more experimentation. The unit can be switched so that ring light is constantly on. This works well and allows the camera's auto functions to set for the correct exposure, and gave good results in test. I have not used Canon's own ring flash and no doubt that would be much superior - but at around £390 against £31.99 + P&P one would expect it to be! As for the Polaroid product, it is well made for the price, represents very good value, and I believe it will prove a very useful addition to my kit.
on 11 March 2013
I mainly use this in constant 'Light' mode, instead of 'Flash' mode when taking photos. I tend to use it with the cameras video mode however and it works for this quite well.
It is very bright with 5 brightness levels. I found that it's lowest to mid brightness mode it can make a high pitched noise (much like older TV sets do) which using the constant 'Light' mode. This can be problematic if using your cameras onboard microphone when making a video. I have usually stuck to putting the light on full brightness and the noise disappears (or just gets too high that it's inaudible to me and the microphone).
The ring itself comes in two parts: a detachable circular piece of plastic which you screw onto the thread of your lens, and the flash light which can quickly and easily attach onto the plastic. This is made for a simple quick release option for being on the more/putting away easily without having to unscrew the entire light off of your camera.
I have a Canon 600D which I use this with and if using a wide angle (0mm-24mm) you can see the which ring of the light at the corners ad edges of your frame. This is not much of a disadvantage to me, but could probably be a problem if you were a nightclub photographer etc.
I would recommend this to anyone who has a desperate craving for ring-flash. As long as you know your own camera well this can work as any top end ring-flash.
on 13 September 2013
superb piece of kit works brilliantly for macro work using either the led stay-on lights or the flash, the ability to change the output of the flash or led`s is a bonus, & the ability to use it it on all lenses because of the adapter rings.
not only have I tried it on macro photography but I have also found it to be superb for portraits once you get the settings right.
I would certainly recommend the product for cost & usability.
on 6 October 2012
This is a great Macro LED Ring Flash for the money. It will never be as good as a true ringflash but it works well and I am pleased with the results.
on 11 January 2013
Bought this with a view to better weather and some outdoor macro photography. This is a great tool, easy to fit to different lenses, good range of control options. Experiments so far (indoors) have produced some nice results. Roll on better weather!
Works in manual mode on a Nikon D3200. You need to use a combination of light power, shutter speed, ISO, and aperture to get the right exposure. As you work with it, you'll find out what's best. You can choose either the full ring, right ring or left ring; as well as flash or constantly on. It has a built-in 40 sec power save mode. It comes well packaged with the listed rings (you can add a step-up or down ring if needed) in a decent box and seems quite well made. You'll need 4 AA batteries - use the Hybrio type which hold their charge longer than normal Nimhs. Overall it's a good value for money macro flash.
on 10 May 2013
I have recently returned to photography having purchase a Canon 650D. I am interested in macro photography and am learning fast and I wanted to purchase a macro flash so as to hone my skills but I did not want to spend a fortune. I saw this product and read the surprising good reviews (considering the cost of this flash) and decided to take the plunge. The flash arrived on time in excellently secure packaging. In the last few days I have discovered that this product is robust, well made, easy to use, of excellent value for money. In fact, I am delighted with this product and am so pleased I bought it. I would highly recommend this product although I suspect that in time I will yearn for a more high spec flash but so far this fits me needs completely and I am sure that I will carry the flash in my photographic kit bag for some years to come. Thank you!
on 11 August 2012
I purchased this to have a trial for my macro work with the intent to buy a better one if I used it , now I am going to keep on using it as it works great and was very reasonable
great value for its performance and price.