on 16 May 2014
Some (well quite a lot of) repetition. Lots of detailed history of the mainstream religions, which looked thorough although, having got the idea, I skipped over much of this. I think I caught him using the "absence of evidence is evidence of absence
" argument both ways around to suit the point he was making! A good read, though.
on 3 March 2013
Yes, I know, "...and the truth will set you free" is from the Bible - John 8:32. The irony is that most atheists have read the Bible (and other religious books for that matter), whereas some that write negative reviews here have not read either the book they are reviewing or indeed their own holy book. The truth available through a personal relationship with reality is infinitely preferable to the supposed truth from the false authority of any number of religions.

I really like this book, although I appreciate that this view may be influenced by my sharing Mr. Lockhart's views on religion.

Having read a number of books by Christopher Hitchens, Richard Dawkins and Sam Harris, it was interesting to see the conclusion (religion is bollocks), arrived at via a different route. The book contains a fair amount of repetition, although I think this can be forgiven, as the point that religion is bollocks is well worth repeating. Oops! I too appear to be guilty of having repeated religion is bollocks in the short space of this review.

For the religious folk offended by the book, I think you should be grateful to Mr. Lockhart. Following in the great tradition of God Is Not Great and The God Delusion, he has allowed you to reach the state of being offended without having to read anything other than the title.
on 22 June 2013
Good clear easy reading,but tends to repeat himself by going over the same details, otherwise an indepth study of the start of the major rerligions of today, but with me he was preaching to a convert to his debunking of religion.
on 22 October 2013
Lots of food for thought, for those still clinging onto religion and not sure what to believe, you'll soon be free of all the dogma after reading this little treasure.
on 29 July 2014
I read this book about a year ago on my kindle - since then my kindle broke down ... It is a VERY INFORMATIVE book - in places extremely funny, some parts are just very sad but real eye-openers. Religious zealots will hate it as they hate everything that is in favour of Evolution.
on 27 August 2015
This book is a lot more serious than the title would lead you to believe.
It contains a good history of religion and is a worthwhile reference book.
So good, that after I bought the Kindle version I bought the hard copy too.
on 12 April 2016
The first half is very revealing, well researched and quite entertaining. From the mid point on he starts to ramble and gets repetitive. Still worth the read.
on 9 November 2015
For a long time I have struggled to put into words what I knew in my head, this book does it clearly and succinctly . Bollocks indeed !
on 25 June 2015
This is worth reading.
on 27 August 2014
expressed to many personal views based on his own experience that took from the overall point of the book which was good .