5.0 out of 5 stars Religion, a euphemism for superstition?
From the very start of this book you realise that the author has done his research and it shows right the way through to the end. This gives you confidence as you observe him piece his argument together in a logical fashion.

Published 13 months ago by Pat Feely

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor.
As someone who has become disillusioned with belief in God I have to admit to having similar feelings with this book which seems to be nothing more than a rant against religion and God but of little substance to back up the `religion is bollocks` tag. What`s more, Mr Lockhart trashes the beliefs of others while trumpeting his own dearly held beliefs. Surely one `accepts`...
Published 22 months ago by Mr. O. Duffy

5.0 out of 5 stars Religion, a euphemism for superstition?, 10 Jun 2013
Pat Feely "The Bookie" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Naked Emperor : Why Religion is Bollocks (Kindle Edition)

Isn't it an indictment of the Catholic religion that I learned more about the bible from Peter Lockhart's book than I did during twelve or thirteen years of religious instruction in a Catholic Primary and Secondary school? Of all the religion books my mother had to buy me for school, she never had to buy the bible. Could this be because we might start asking questions about the fables and inconsistencies in the 'holy book', especially as we progressed through Secondary school. Not really in the 50's and 60's (my time in school), as we were priest-ridden back then. But hey, they weren't taking any chances and if we grew up in awe, and in the control, of religion and its acolytes, maybe we'd remain that way for life! Many did and still do.

Since reading Peter Lockhart's book I have been motivated to read Marcus Aurelius (Meditations) and to purchase a bible!

Even if it was the provocative title which led you to consider reading this book, open it and it will open your eyes and mind. Science not superstition for the 21st century!
Now, what's the next book Peter?

5.0 out of 5 stars Cover your eyes if you can't look at bare facts!, 14 Oct 2012
When I saw the title of this book, I did wonder. I need not have worried, Mr. Lockhart is merely forthright in his opinion, and after the treatment he received at the hands of the church as a child, I can't say I blame him. Does he rant, as claimed by other reviewers? I think he is exasperated by "people of faith" who persist in believing the most extraordinary fairy tales, because it is accepted practise.

I am an atheist, I have been for many years, this book is excellent because although Lockhart has put a lot of scholarly effort into his writing, it is engaging as well as informative. He has taken the trouble to read the Bible and do the research. Other writers have pointed out the Bible's hate filled and genocidal passages, it's many contradictions, but this book points out the redactions, the mistranslations that point out how the Bible has been changed by the various cults down the millennia. This book has increased my knowledge of the history of religion, I had been aware of the links of Mithraism to Christianity, but had not understood the importance of Zoroastrian belief to the modern monotheist religions, a bit of a revelation for me.

He also discusses human belief systems from a point of view of psychology and psychiatry. There is a chapter where he compares our willingness to believe in various economic models against evidence to the contrary which has led to our boom and bust economy, postulating that this is another example of our eagerness to believe comforting myths, rather than reality.

He then follows this with the history of the many offshoots of Christianity from the early church to modern times. This is where his patience does where thin. As he says, it is forgivable for people of the Middle Ages to believe in demons, angels and miracles, but once we reach the time of rational science and the Earth's true age and position in the universe have been reliably verified, the facts known, it is hard to forgive people for the abuses carried out in the name of religion.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that tells it like it is., 8 April 2013
Peter Lockhart writes simply, so anyone can understand immediately what he is trying to get across.He backs up his writing with extremely interesting proven facts. If you have any doubts at all about the ''stories'' in the bible, after you have read this book all will become clear. I would heartily recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very thought provoking read!, 24 Jun 2013
Although the style was a little questionable the content was not! Peter Lockhart puts forward many ideas to make one question any beliefs one might have had and then throw them out of the window. I like the way he brings popularly believed myths and shows how they cannot possibly be true and then puts religion in the same position and shows how that is also wrong.
Unfortunately he tends to show his Australian ways by using slang to illustrate a point but overall I don't hold this against him, he also, when he finds a phrase he likes, tends to use it a lot in a few passages! Again this does not detract from the general theme which had me fascinated. It's a book I found I could not put down. This book should be put up there with the likes of Dawkins and Hitchens et al and set as a book to be read in all schools.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellently Put Together, 20 July 2013
This is extremely well thought out and explained in a easy to understand and sometimes comical manner. This is straight from Peter's heart, and from many of his own experiences. It's about time someone spoke up about the atrocities of religious bull, I know for a fact that the great majority of believers don't read their own bibles, if they ever would they would see all the contradictions from what they are told, to what is actually written. That's only if they haven't been hypnotized or brainwashed by the organisation they support.
A good read, I strongly agree with the majority of what Peter has to communicate to the reader.

4.0 out of 5 stars Why,religion,is,bollocks,., 18 July 2013
Enjoyed this book. As a long term atheist it reiterates everything I believe about All religions and raised a few points that I hadn't thought of before. Lost one star for the authors rather strange use of the comma, which becomes a little annoying after a while. Apart from this small problem would recommend this to any free thinker who has seen the light. All religions are based on one thing, man's awareness and fear of death.

4.0 out of 5 stars Feedback on The Naked Emperor, 5 Nov 2013
I enjoyed this book. I thought it was very well researched and liked the humour, which helped to get the points over. My one criticism - and its a personal one - is that the author can be heavy handed in making his main points at times - that for him organised religion is bollocks. However as a practising Christian, I did not find this book offensive in any way, it made me think about what I believe [no bad thing] and it was good to have points to argue against and dispute in my mind. I do agree with several of his statements about organised religion but as Christians we are taught not to judge others and practise compassion and forgiveness. The author has put a great deal of hard work into his research n I commend him greatly for this. Read it and make your own mind up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Please write another!, 19 April 2012
Well written, thoughtful and representative of what all thinking people know to be true.
In my humble opinion it should be up there with the God Delusion. Even better in some ways, as Peter Lockhart is speaking from his personal experience on the debauchery that is organised religion.

5.0 out of 5 stars solid stuff- well presented, 12 Jun 2014
this book is thoughtfully presented. The points raised are carefully considered and addressed. Although many arguments and examples have been raised before, this book "tells a story" in a very effective manner.
Regretfully the audience who could benefit from reading this will miss out due to the very problems aired in the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars mostly a good read, 16 May 2014
Some (well quite a lot of) repetition. Lots of detailed history of the mainstream religions, which looked thorough although, having got the idea, I skipped over much of this. I think I caught him using the "absence of evidence is evidence of absence
" argument both ways around to suit the point he was making! A good read, though.