on 23 September 2010
I bought this product (not from Amazon, sorry) having been frustrated by an Edimax EW-7416APN Wireless 802.11n Access Point - Range extender. My experience in the past has been that wifi range extenders are tricky to set up and not desperately reliable.

The Netgear WN2000RPT, by contrast, was a dream. No fiddling about with temporary fixed IP addresses, subnet masks, network cables and CDs. It plugged into the mains, then after a minute or so broadcast its own wireless signal. I connected with that and was automatically directed to the range extender's own browser-based setup menu. Linking to my existing home network through that menu, and setting up network names and security codes, was simplicity itself.

What's more, the extender does not appear to be fazed by being switched off, breaks in the original network signal, or suchlike, things that had caused me such problems with my Edimax. It also has an on-off toggle switch and four network cable sockets (I haven't yet tried connecting to them) and a light which changes colour to indicate signal strength. Another light shows when a computer is connected.

I have only had the product for a day as yet, but as the tone of this review suggests I am delighted with it. So far as I can see it provides very acceptable signal strength and range. It is more expensive than some range extenders, but sometimes you get what you pay for. Recommended.
22 comments| 325 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 December 2010
I bought this extender as I work from a converted garage now office at the bottom of the garden. In the house we had very poor wi-fi signal and my son had major problems with his XBOX 360 Live connections. I first of all changed the channel on my Sky router and did get a better signal. But on buying the extender we now have full signal strength in the house and my son is a happy bunny as he also has full wi-fi signal for XBOX live.
After spending a little time trying to set the extender up I found out why I was having some issues. This is what I did:

1. Before turning on the extender, check the networks on your machine. ( I for some reason had another 4 networks on my PC no idea why, but apart from your own router which you will see with your own SSID, any other that you do not know delete. (Because of these other wireless networks the extender would not connect to internet although it would to the router/modem)

2. Fire up the extender

3. Connect via wireless to NETGEAR_EXT which when you scan for wireless networks you will see.

4. Once connected open your browser, this will take you to the Netgear config wizard. (Make sure your extender is as far away from your router as you can) Carry out the wizard instructions.

5. You will need to enter your wireless network key for the extender to connect to your router/modem.

6. On completion you will now notice two of your networks (eg. NETWORK111 and NETWORK111_EXT one is your router/modem and the other with suffix _EXT is the extender.

Please be aware that if you have a good enough signal without the extender do not connect as this slows everything down I found. The extender is designed to be used "out of range" or on the border of a signal.

I highly recommend to anyone in a similar position this product.
55 comments| 294 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 October 2010
I bought this range extender after reading one review and because the signal in my office at the bottom of the garden was very poor and kept dropping.
I'm so glad I did, it's brilliant. I was afraid of the setting up of it because of all the reviews of orther products that said how tricky it can be. It was simplicity itself, I did it all in 10 minutes, well it nearly sets itself up, you just follow the screen wizard. I now have a very good signal and am a happy bunny.NETGEAR WN2000RPT Universal WiFi Range Extender - Wireless network extender - 802.11n - 802.11b/g/n - external
11 comment| 142 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 October 2011
OK - which is more distressing? Having a flakey wi-fi signal in 40% of the house, or...facing up to the installation of a repeater/extender unit?
Having reached the point where the former was more irksome than the installation I went for the Netgear solution, partly hoping that my existing if oldish b & g Netgear router would be compatible with this new n-rated kit - it is.

Basically, unless you have a WPS button on your existing wireless router to match the one on the Extender, you are likely to go through the following pain threshold to achieve a working set up.
Read the inadequate set up guide, scratch your head, make a cuppa, then register your product on the Netgear website, which helps smooth access to 90 days of free telephone support.

Phone 0844 875 4000, and select option one which offers 'Technical support for all black and white products.' I thought this was some sub-brand of Netgear, but it is literally all their kit in black and white cases including this Range Extender.

You will quickly be in the capable hands of a technician who sorts it in 15 minutes. It's good to use an ethernet cable initially to transfer settings, so have one to hand - not included in the purchase and not mentioned in the guide. The telephone support is quickly accessed on a Monday after lunch and makes it all work. Why they cannot print this step by step set up process remains a mystery as I can read. But, hey, April, it was more fun chatting to you, so perhaps I shouldn't grumble. And just think of the remaining 88 days of free support ...

One other thing about the Netgear router and the new Extender - they both produce a signal which is like a fountain in shape - so a lot of the juice goes upwards - this suggests siting the units downstairs is the best solution as the first floor gets a good soaking. Four stars because the instructions rely on telephone support and the unit price is relatively high - but a secret 5 * for April ...
on 22 November 2013
I have a 2 bedroomed stone walled cottage and while happy with the broadband connectivity in 1 bedroom and the living room accessing the internet in my sons bedroom and in the garden was impossible (3 foot thick stone walls have some benefits but not when it comes to WiFi). After much messing about with moving my sons pc to various locations in his room we finally achieved a sometime signal but this was just not enough to satisfy a teenager who is constantly on-line. I decided to research the various options and read an article that recommended this product. I was a little sceptical (its my nature) but decided to give it a try. I read the reviews from previous customers (very helpful) and purchasing it was easy. It arrived promptly and installation took about 30 minutes - I'm fairly competent in this area but still had to have a couple of goes. The result is that reception in my sons room and generally the rear of the house is excellent - I have a happy son. I haven't tried it in the garden as frankly its just to cold wet and horrible at the moment but am sure that it will be fine. A very worthwhile purchase.
on 22 July 2011
We have a fairly large two storey house (4000+ sq.ft) with solid first floor floors. Having a good wireless signal throughout the house meant we would move the router between ground and first floor depending on where it was needed most. We thought of upgrading from a G router to an N router but were told that this wouldn't solve the problem. Upon browsing through Amazon we noticed the Netgear Wireless Extender, and by its description it was exactly what we needed.

The extender was simple to set-up, and the signal throughout the house is fantastic. Best purchase I have made in a long time.

I was so pleased it prompted me to write my first review.

Highly recommended!!!!!!
on 20 February 2011
I am now on my second one of these things, as other reviewers state, its very easy to set up and I know this because you gets tons of practice, the problem is that the unit loses its connection to the internet after a few hours, the only way to get it back is to do a hard reset then set it up again.

Phoned netgear support which is a whole new circle of hell, £20 from a guy reading from a script telling me that either the extender is too far away ( not according to the set-up and its only about 15 mtrs away, or my cordless phone was interfering....there is also lots of others who are having this problem... just search on WN2000rpt loses internet connection and you will find some of the other unfortunate souls who's life has been blighted....

It would be great if it works, but in my experience this thing does not!
55 comments| 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 January 2011
Once the range extender arrived went through the set up process and all seemed well with good connections between my router to the extender and from the extender to my lap top.

Problem occurs when I wanted to connect to the net. Error message 105 on google.

Looked on netgear help and was told that the problem was specificto Google and I should try using explorer or firefox - neither of these worked either. Rang netgear help line and was told by the lady (who had never heard of BT!!) that I should plug my laptop into this wireless bit of kit. Decided to get an IT solutions company to come in and sort it out. They spent a frustrating 5 hours trying to get it to work before admitting defeat.Good money after bad

Got a phone call out of the blue from netgear on Sunday night and was told that the reason for the problem is that if the distance from the router to my laptop was 100ft it will only work if the extender is placed 35-45ft from the router and the laptop could only be used 55-65ft from the extender.

Done some research and found a number of forums where lots and lots of people have had the same problem and the general concensus of opinion from people who appear to be far more knowledgable than me is that the WN2000RPT is not fit for purpose. Connection to the net through the extender is intermitant at best and non-existent at worst.
22 comments| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 January 2012
I have a huge amount of time for Netgear and have had a number of Netgear products over the years - this is one of the reasons the WN2000RPT was an obvious choice but what a mistake that was.

Initial set up was impressively simple and the RPT identified my router very quickly and self-configured. All was well for around 24 hours at which point any attached devices started to report limited or no connectivity. Restarting the RPT initially seemed to fix the issue but why should you need to do this every day. Eventually even this did not resolve the problem. Resetting the whole device would also work but that too seems a little excessive to do all the time. I thought perhaps it was because the RPT and my router were too far apart but even at a distance of around 20 ft with line of sight between the two boxes, connectivity was regularly lost.

I kept fighting with it for almost three months and discovered many other people were having similar problems so eventually gave up and returned it to Amazon, who were great (as always!).

My advice on this one - don't bother.
on 27 January 2012
We have a Virgin router, in our house there are several levels and the signal couldn't penetrate the walls, or get very far into the garden, so this was a must. The good thing is that it was Netgear (they make the chipset for the Virgin router) and so to have all components from one company makes things easier.

To my surprise there is a button on the Wireless Virgin router which is the WEP button the manual describes, it's not labelled as such (it's got the Virgin logo on it) but is lit up, strange, it must be some kind of industry standard (you know how these instruction manuals can leave you wondering what you're missing), so the set up was easy enough for us.

The signal was boosted immediately and everybody then got one, it took a little configuring but we found that height worked best for us. The rule of being in the centre of where you'd eventually like the signal to end up was only part of the solution, there are of course many other technical settings to change on ones router e.g. Channel hopping, Frequency set to 5GHz...

In our house we had various different machines, makes and models so there was never going to be a perfect solution, but this was better than tin foil on a pan.