4.0 out of 5 stars Adequate for purpose
The Powergen Dual port car charger fits into your car cigarette lighter socket and enables you to charge your electronic devices whilst on the go.

Published on 20 Nov. 2012 by KM

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid avoid avoid!
Total crap!

I used it for a while and noticed that when I had my phone connected to the stereo in the car as well as this, a lot of electronic noise would come over the speakers. This was partly engine noise caused by the alternator and partly a high frequency switching sound coming from the power supply.

I put my oscilloscope on there to take a look...
Published 5 months ago by Ubersheep1

4.0 out of 5 stars Adequate for purpose, 20 Nov. 2012
KM (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
This review is from: PowerGen 2.4A / 12W Dual USB Car Charger Designed for Apple and Android Devices - BLACK (Electronics)

There are two ports available marked up as S and A. The A port is specifically for Apple products such as ipad/pod and iphones. The port marked S is designated for all other compatible devices. The only device mentioned in the leaflet provided that cannot be charged is the Asus Transformer. There is no cable supplied with this charger so you must use the one supplied with your electronic device.

The charger fits nicely into the charging socket and feels solid enough with a good build quality and doesn't stick out too much in my opinion. When active there is a blue light emitted from the charger ports so you can see it's active. Delivering 2 Amps this is ideal for the quick charging of your power hungry devices such as ipad, Kindle Fire and tablet devices.
The devices I tried it on were-

Kindle touch-Worked on both ports.
Kindle Fire- Worked on both ports.
Apple ipad- Only in the A port.
HTC Desire HD- In S port
Sansa Clip mp3 player- In S port.

After using this for a few weeks I've found that the charger performed well using the devices mentioned and they were charged quickly enough even when two were charging simultaneously. Obviously when charging two devices they may take longer to fully charge than when being charged alone. There is a slightly more powerful and more robustly built version available in which you can also access the fuse PowerGen Dual USB 3.1A 15w Car Charger for Apple iPad 1 2 3, iPhone 4s 4 3 3Gs, Amazon Kindle Fire DX KeyBoard, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Google Nexus 7 (USB Cable NOT included) - BLACK

A good little charger, no complaints.

I was supplied this for review.

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid avoid avoid!, 8 Sept. 2014
Total crap!

I put my oscilloscope on there to take a look at the voltage it was outputting and it is all over the place! It spikes as high as 10 volts (it is supposed to output 5 volts for USB) and dips down to zero volts once every switching cycle (4,000 times per second). The switching frequency is right in the middle of human speech intelligibility, meaning your ears are most sensitive to it. That is why the noise on the stereo is so invasive and annoying.

In conclusion, it will annoy you, and probably damage your phone given how high the voltage goes sometimes. As soon as I saw how bad the output was I threw it away.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleased with PowerGen 2.4A / 12W Dual USB Car Charger, 29 July 2014
A Krenitskiy - See all my reviews
I purchased this charger because I liked the idea of charging two devices at the same time. I also thought LED light confirming if the charger is connected properly would be handy.

However, main reason was for the power. I drive to and from work every day apart from weekends and I use hands-free. My old charger that came with SatNAv was only providing enough power to keep the phone charge stable whilst on Bluetooth. PowerGen, however, manages to charge the phone from 30% to 90% (this is just approximate figures) in under 1 hour whilst on Bluetooth, which is great!

On a daily basis, I use it with Nexus 4. I also tried charging iPhone 4S and Nexus 4 simultaneously once. I have not measured the time or the charge, as I find it immaterial. It's just convenience, plus at such low price, it would be hard to go wrong.

There are few well-known companies producing quality USB car charges. In the end, I went for PowerGen because of the LED light. Contrary to some opinions, I would not say that it is bright or distracting. Of course, all depends on the location of the socket. For those prospective customers who rely on the charger to keep the phone going, the extra comfort of knowing the charger is plugged in properly would be beneficial.

I went for black colour. It looks stylish. The charger itself is compact and not long.

I only used it for a week, so can't comment on the longevity, reliability, etc. Few other reviewers had it for much longer and I have no reason not to believe them.

Of course, if it malfunctions in any way, I shall let you know. Advice: go ahead and buy it. Don't spend too long researching.

I also bought spring coiled USB lead to complement the charger. I know every phone manual says to use the original lead only, but they are all too long for the car. I hope spring coiled one solves the problem. Have not been delivered yet...

1.0 out of 5 stars Looks good, lasted 60 seconds, 19 Feb. 2013
E. Cooper - See all my reviews
Possibly a good product, however they need some quality control to pick up on the dead ones. Mine went fizz pop within seconds of connecting up my iPhone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks really nice, does the job too, 7 Jun. 2012
I was sent this to review:

I've looked at (and bought) a variety of cigarette lighter car chargers over the last few years - they tend to look very plasticky and cheap. However, this one really looks good: there's a nice chrome finish to the top which really sets it apart from the others I've had, and it's nice that it matches the look of the car.

It's also very stubby - this is useful because the longer ones get in the way of the gearstick when driving.

One of the USB ports charges at a higher rate - suitable for Apple products, and other device needing a bigger charge. It is able to charge two products at the same time if needed.

No USB cables are supplied - I was expecting that, to be fair.

The 'manual' mentions that some products might not be compatible (the Samsung P1000 is the only one specified by name), but I've not had any problems so far. Buyers should be aware of this caveat.

Overall, very pleased.

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless, 14 Oct. 2014
Worked a couple of times and then died. It seems the iphone accessory market is polarised between hugely overpriced but functional Apple products, and utterly useless, very cheap generic products that just end up being thrown away. It would be nice to have some sort of middle ground, reasonably priced, good quality devices. This powergen charger is not one of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice, 22 July 2012
I looked at several of these car chargers online before settling for this one. I thought most of the others looked cheap and tacky, whereas this one looked a bit more solid and nice and when it arrived I was not disappointed.

It looks nice, solid and as described.

It has a 1A USB connector and a 2A USB connector (which is plenty for any phone, MP3 player or tablet). When plugged in to the cigarette lighter socket the end has a subtle blue glow too, which is nice (it's not bright like some others, distracting you in the dark).

All in all I'm very happy with the purchase, especially at such a cheap price - I've bought car chargers for over £10 that have looked and felt rubbish.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the ticket, 15 Mar. 2014
Very pleased with this. I don't have any Apple devices but am able to charge my Samsung Galaxy and Amazon Kindle using either of the sockets.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good charger, does what it says on the tin, 16 Dec. 2014
Have been using this neat charger occasionally and so far so good. There were quite a few choices to choose from but I'm glad I bought this particular one from PowerGen.

There are two ports, one labelled 'A' for Apple products and the other one marked 'S' for all other USB powered (or 5V) products. I've used a few gadgets and satnavs etc on both ports and no complaints as far as the charging is concerned.

The reason why I have docked one star is that the charger does fit into the 12v socket but feels generally loose and I have experienced the power being cut off on a few occasions. Nothing too major for me but I'd assume it will affect some people. Maybe it is a the design of the product or just a fault. But it does not concern me too much. I'm happy to use it and will be updating my review if this 'loosening' stops occurring or if I experience anything else.

I'd recommend it to you. Some reviewers have mentioned problems they've encountered, but I am yet to see a fault in charging. For me, it is money well spent.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not good, 2 April 2013
L. Holt "LB" (England) - See all my reviews
does not charge iphone and when charging Ipad the radio gets interference. I would not recommend this product, not impressed