5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended
This is a book that really took me out of my comfort zone. When Iain has a near death experience after an accident it is not the usual white light one that we have all read about, but it seems as if he is meant to go the other way; he sees some horrific hellish visions and something down there that definitely wants to claim Iain for his own. As Iain starts on the road to...
Published 23 months ago by ElaineG

1.0 out of 5 stars gave up
Despite a promising premise, this was so slow that by 19% I gave up. I usually hesitate to give up on anything Ive paid for unless its dire and this isnt, but I simply couldnt be bothered to slog through it. The "near death experience" is done well and was pretty atmospheric, but once back in the land of the living the writing became so long-winded and boring I...
Published 8 days ago by b roberts

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 6 Jan. 2012
Ignite (East Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Flux (Kindle Edition)
In this remarkable first novel, Mark Faulkner creates a situation in which his main character Iain, a head injury victim, finds himself flicking from the present to a parallel nightmare reality. I didn't warm to the character initially but as the novel progressed I was really on Iain's side. After his accident his neuro-surgeon's main interest in his case was to try to make her own name in medical circles. The hospital chaplain wanted to find proof of an afterlife from Iain's near-death experience to bolster his own flagging faith. Iain, in increasing despair and distress, only has the elusive Eve on his side.

There is a real sense of hellish other-world here and poor Iain is, as the title implies, in a state of flux between here and there, with sometimes one 'reality' superimposed on the other. Iain's reading of the bible, given to him by the chaplain, leads him to a sense of good and evil, and the feeling he is being forced against his will to choose evil.

Mark Faulkner has created a realistic and believable story and one wonders whether this could happen as a result of an injury to the brain, that most complex and mysterious of organs. The ending is horrifying and in some senses, inevitable.

I really hope Mark has more work of this quality up his sleeve. He is an author to watch and has one keen fan already!

3.0 out of 5 stars What was that all about?, 19 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Flux (Kindle Edition)
I'm still not sure what the point of the story was. I think the author was trying to make the reader question whether the story described a descent into madness or an intervention by heaven and hell but - in my view - shaded it a little too much towards the supernatural intervention to pull off any real ambiguity. (To see how this can be done well, read James Hogg 'The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner')
It didn't take long to read. The main character, Iain, read the entire Bible (and found it interesting without any ambiguities/anomalies!!) in just about the same time. Obviously mad...
There is no real resolution at the end. What was the point of it all?
I was a bit underwhelmed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't live up to early promise, 20 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Flux (Kindle Edition)
I really liked the first half of this book, it's an interesting plot with someone basically teetering on the brink of insanity and seeing it all as a good versus evil battle. However, it dragged a little in places and I felt it all started to get a bit repetitive. I have to admit I ended up skipping bits of it just to reach the end. Don't want to mark it down too much though, as it was still pretty good.

1.0 out of 5 stars poor, 28 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Flux (Kindle Edition)
Unlikeable characters, predictable plot which seems to get lost about 3/4 the way through to crash back onto itself in the end.

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit heavy going, 24 Feb. 2013
C. Vaux - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flux (Kindle Edition)
A little bit on the dark side and too religious too. Found it a bit depressing. Ok if you like that kind of thing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 9 July 2012
This review is from: Flux (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed the book but there were some tedious passages (fishing!). I liked Ian and his friends including Bert (Eve was predictable). I wanted to know how it was all going to end but at the same time got a bit bored near the end and started skim reading. I would recommend this book and read more by this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling, 5 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Flux (Kindle Edition)
This is the first horror I have read in a while and it turned out to be a real page turner. Very impressive first novel but I do agree the gratuitous fishing scene was a bit much!

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't finish it, 20 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Flux (Kindle Edition)
I got 29% of the way into this book. It was a free download, or I probably wouldn't have even tried it. The writing style is good and the story could be interesting - but I found it a bit to slow and like nothing was really happening. I don't usually put down books, but I can live with never knowing the ending to this.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›