• Flux

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.99

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 6 January 2012
In this remarkable first novel, Mark Faulkner creates a situation in which his main character Iain, a head injury victim, finds himself flicking from the present to a parallel nightmare reality. I didn't warm to the character initially but as the novel progressed I was really on Iain's side. After his accident his neuro-surgeon's main interest in his case was to try to make her own name in medical circles. The hospital chaplain wanted to find proof of an afterlife from Iain's near-death experience to bolster his own flagging faith. Iain, in increasing despair and distress, only has the elusive Eve on his side.

There is a real sense of hellish other-world here and poor Iain is, as the title implies, in a state of flux between here and there, with sometimes one 'reality' superimposed on the other. Iain's reading of the bible, given to him by the chaplain, leads him to a sense of good and evil, and the feeling he is being forced against his will to choose evil.

Mark Faulkner has created a realistic and believable story and one wonders whether this could happen as a result of an injury to the brain, that most complex and mysterious of organs. The ending is horrifying and in some senses, inevitable.

I really hope Mark has more work of this quality up his sleeve. He is an author to watch and has one keen fan already!
on 19 January 2013
I'm still not sure what the point of the story was. I think the author was trying to make the reader question whether the story described a descent into madness or an intervention by heaven and hell but - in my view - shaded it a little too much towards the supernatural intervention to pull off any real ambiguity. (To see how this can be done well, read James Hogg 'The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner')
It didn't take long to read. The main character, Iain, read the entire Bible (and found it interesting without any ambiguities/anomalies!!) in just about the same time. Obviously mad...
There is no real resolution at the end. What was the point of it all?
I was a bit underwhelmed.
on 20 November 2012
I really liked the first half of this book, it's an interesting plot with someone basically teetering on the brink of insanity and seeing it all as a good versus evil battle. However, it dragged a little in places and I felt it all started to get a bit repetitive. I have to admit I ended up skipping bits of it just to reach the end. Don't want to mark it down too much though, as it was still pretty good.
on 28 February 2013
Unlikeable characters, predictable plot which seems to get lost about 3/4 the way through to crash back onto itself in the end.
on 9 July 2012
I enjoyed the book but there were some tedious passages (fishing!). I liked Ian and his friends including Bert (Eve was predictable). I wanted to know how it was all going to end but at the same time got a bit bored near the end and started skim reading. I would recommend this book and read more by this author.
on 5 January 2012
This is the first horror I have read in a while and it turned out to be a real page turner. Very impressive first novel but I do agree the gratuitous fishing scene was a bit much!
on 24 February 2013
A little bit on the dark side and too religious too. Found it a bit depressing. Ok if you like that kind of thing.
on 20 September 2013
I got 29% of the way into this book. It was a free download, or I probably wouldn't have even tried it. The writing style is good and the story could be interesting - but I found it a bit to slow and like nothing was really happening. I don't usually put down books, but I can live with never knowing the ending to this.