5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended
Published on 21 May 2013 by ElaineG

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm where to start
This could have been such a good book. The premise of the story is good, the characterisation is quite good if perhaps a touch stereotypical.

Where it lets itself down is continuity, and this is where a good editor earns his crust. As an example; at one point you have the main character receiving a letter from his bank telling him he's well over his overdraft...
Published 8 months ago by DaveyH

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 21 May 2013
ElaineG (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Flux (Kindle Edition)
This is a book that really took me out of my comfort zone. When Iain has a near death experience after an accident it is not the usual white light one that we have all read about, but it seems as if he is meant to go the other way; he sees some horrific hellish visions and something down there that definitely wants to claim Iain for his own. As Iain starts on the road to recovery he is plagued by yet more nightmares and visions, as it becomes apparent that his experience is far from over.

The story then twists and turns in a very chilling way and the reader is just swept along, wanting to know what is going to happen next. The character of Iain is likeable, he is just a normal young lad stuck in a dead end job who likes his mates, his beer and the occasional joint. In fact his life is so ordinary when you are reading about it, that it really highlights what a horrible and nasty turn his life is taking. There is nothing particularly special about Iain but you can't help rooting for him right from the start so that when the book turns out to be much more than the usual Good vs Evil fantasy battle you really do care about what happens to him.

Whilst I thoroughly enjoyed the read, I did have a couple of niggles about - there are some typos which another edit could eliminate, but not enough to stop me concentrating on the story which is a really good read.

To sum up, a book that is addictive, chilling, horrific and very shocking at times, and will certainly leave you questioning and not sure whether the events were real or whether it was all one man's journey into insanity.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book of awesome, 4 May 2012
This review is from: Flux (Kindle Edition)
Flux... or one of those books that presses all the right buttons ! The story sucks you right in, and the writer puts you so easily into the main character's head that you don't know what's real and what isn't. That way, it's very easy to get close to Iain and care about him. I had no idea what was actually going on right until the end, not sure I know now actually. Aside all the gruesome bits (oooh yeah!)that would make me want to read more anyway, it was a total page turner, I hope there are more stories like this one coming soon !

By the way, Bert gets my award for the vilest character ever ! (But I think he was totally great !)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Hellish Ride, 19 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Flux (Kindle Edition)
Brilliant. Utterly, utterly brilliant.

Iain's journey from the first to the last page is horrifyingly gripping. This book is hard to stop reading once you start.

Go get it; before Bertie gets you.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!, 25 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Flux (Kindle Edition)
Brilliantly humourous and horrifying. Although it took me a couple of chapters to get hooked, I then found it hard to put it down. Highly recommend this book. Will be keeping an eye for the next one

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a find, 11 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Flux (Kindle Edition)
This is the first book I've read by MF and have to say I really enjoyed it.

Although it dragged a bit in the middle and could have made more of the ending, it kept me wanting to know what happened next and for me at least, that's the best a book can do.

Interesting and imaginative storyline, well written characters and enough humour to balance out most of the gore (and there are buckets of gore), I'll certainly look out for this author.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read!, 5 July 2013
Justine M Dunn (Ljubljana, Slovenia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flux (Kindle Edition)
Not my usual type of book but got through this one in a matter of days. Really liked the main character, Iain, who is very much your average guy. Struck down by a bus within the first couple of pages, the story kicks off quickly and sweeps you up into the weird and wonderful plot. I'm a bit of a baby when it comes to horror books, but I found this one bearable - enough moments to make me cringe without giving me sleepless nights.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book, 16 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Flux (Kindle Edition)
Wow! Got this after reading the sample and could not put it down, it has you gripped from the minute you read the first page!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 9 May 2013
This review is from: Flux (Kindle Edition)
This story wasn't at all how i imagined it would be, but on saying that i thoroughly enjoyed it. I liked the characters, good and bad, and the storyline had me gripped from the first chapter.

Looking forward to reading other books from Mark.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Dark Tale, 26 Mar. 2015
M. Brookes - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flux (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed reading this book. It's quite a dark tale of a man who starts experiencing horrific visions after a brutal accident.What I liked about Adrian is that he's not the usual protagonist you encounter in these type of stories. He's a flawed character and seems an unlikely hero, or victim for that matter.

The overall story is excellent, although a tad predictable on occasion. The pacing is excellent with the story flowing at a relentless pace. It does take a pause every so often to allow you to catch your breath before it plunges on.

In the blurb it mentions humour which I didn't really catch while I was reading it. Luckily it wasn't failed humour in the sense that I saw something trying to be funny. On the other hand the horror is written in a very engaging fashion. There's a question constantly bubbling about whether what is happening is real or some sort of psychotic break and that helps reinforce the terrible things he encounters.

For me the ending was the weakest part of the story. The actual event was fine and made sense, but it felt a bit abrupt in how the finale was reached. I also thought that compared to the imagination demonstrated through the earlier parts of the book it was a bit obvious. Other than that this is a decent horror read and one I'd recommend to fans of the genre.

4.0 out of 5 stars Flux, 29 April 2013
This review is from: Flux (Kindle Edition)
I thoroughly enjoyed this supernatural and chilling tale. I did get a little confused towards the end but that didn't detract from this well written tale.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›