on 5 December 2012
Have had this camera for some months now and am impressed with it's range of features and the quality of the results - although we have had some problems with the video clips. However, good colour and definition though, as one would expect from a camera of this pixel rate.

It has been used for wedding photos and for a special holiday and I have been really pleased with the quality of the photos. Have used one for a print on canvas and the result was excellent.

this camera is quite intuitive to use, nothing mind bogglingly complicated. There are lots of setting options, allowing for a range of conditions and image adjustments. Like the fact that one can set it to soften skin tones for portraits, defocus backgrounds and so on.

The 'sweep panoramic' feature is great. It takes a few attempts to get a feel for the right speed to 'sweep' at (faster than one might expect), but the results are worth the effort.

Love the 'defocused background' option for close ups. Have taken some very pleasing close shots of insects and flowers using this. It is possible to change the amount of 'blurring' of the back ground, but I have found the most effective level, is the highest.

Of course, one can set the camera to 'automatic' and pretty much just use it as a 'point and shot'. The camera works reasonably well in low light settings. It's quite an accomplished alrounder really. The zoom is adequate and the fact it works while you are taking video clips, as well as for stills, is a bonus.

The only thing I don't much like, is the fact that the display turns photos taken in 'portrait' when you view back, so the image is much smaller and less easy to view.

We have found that the downloaded HD video clips have a juddery quality in replay, but this might be something to do with what we were viewing on. As this camera is not our prime video option, it is not something we have been in a hurry to resolve, but it would be interesting to know the cause of this problem.

In summary, I'm very pleased with this camera. It's very compact, easily put in a small bag or pocket. It's capabilities are impressive given the size of the camera and the quality of the photos it produces make it a great little camera to have handy.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Colour Name: BlackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Sony DSCWX50 Compact Digital Camera is a compact little 'everyday' camera that's incredibly user-friendly whilst producing stunning picture quality and ease of use. We've had the camera now for a little over a month and have already become pretty well accustomed to the various functions and settings of the camera, enabling us to use the camera with absolute ease whenever we want to snap a quick picture or film something or other.

The first thing that you notice about the camera is its small compact size (9cm x 5cm x 2cm approx.) along with its lightweight but sturdy feel. The large viewing screen on the reverse side of the camera offers an excellent representation of what you will be snapping/filming, along with well positioned control buttons to help make the camera as user-friendly as possible.

The on-screen function displays are easy to use and negotiate around, along with having on-screen 'help' pop-ups if so desired (highly recommended for when you're first getting to grips with the camera).

The picture quality itself is phenomenal. In HD, the movie footage is as clear and crisp as if you were watching it in real life. The camera can be easily switched between widescreen, full screen and HD, with a simple few clicks in the menu settings (depending on what you want the footage for).

The zoom function is equally as impressive. Zooming is smooth and magnifies whatever you're viewing without blurring, shaking or any other such problems.

The panoramic option is once again, quite amazing. Having not had this option with any of our previous cameras, both my wife and I were blown away with the results of these panoramic shots (see example panoramic photos in the included video). What's more, the panoramic function is unbelievably easy to use to get perfect results. It's just a simple case of click to start shooting, and then sweep the camera around in an arc to get a full panoramic shot.

The camera includes one battery which seems to last for literally hours of use. Charging is a simple case of plugging the camera into a computer or into a wall socket (charging cables also included).

The only downside that we've found to using the camera is the photo/video uploading software that's installed into your computer when you first connect your camera. Far from user-friendly, the software irritatingly tries to be too clever for its own good, creating separate folders for the photos which were taken on different days and not allowing a simple drag-and-drop importing of the pics. Again, deleting the pics from the camera is also a little more time consuming than you would have liked, not having an option on the computer to 'delete-all-photos-on-the camera'. Fine if you want all the fancy importation malarkey, but if you prefer a simple folder to drag-and-drop / delete stuff from, then why not also allow this basic functionality? Not the end of the world I know, but I felt it was worth pointing out nevertheless.

But all in all both my wife and I have been more than happy with the results of the camera. Quality of photos/video footage and simple ease of use has been well beyond our expectations. Simple things like the macro function being automatic and not having to wait an age before the camera focusses itself, has all resulted in a camera that is incredibly simple to use for everyday use. So in a nutshell - we're delighted with it!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 13 April 2013
I bought this camera because I was so impressed with the camera function in the Sony Xperia phone my son has.

I wanted a small camera with a good sensor, good lens, high build quality and reasonable zoom, to carry around events for casual photography. As I am quite happy with my current mobile, I bought this as a standalone camera. I am delighted that I did!

If the camera had only delivered my basic requirements, I would still have been pleased, but it is a tiny device that just keeps on giving.

Firstly the picture makes it look bigger than it is. In reality it is about the same width as the length of an average finger, and about the same thickness.

The image quality of the 16MP sensor is stunning for a tiny camera, and the pictures look fantastic on my 55 inch Samsung TV. I would recommend viewing them via a Playstation though, as the Smart TV only shows small pictures.

So far so good, but what I was not expecting was the near broadcast quality of the 1080 movies! The colours are spectacular, and the motion is super smooth. Considering you are hard pressed to find the microphone on this camera, the stereo sound is amazing too.

I do not know what the transfer software is like, as I never bother with it, and Sony software can be a bit counter-intuitive, but I just take out the memory card and let Windows import the pictures and video into an album via a memory card reader.

The image stabilising system produces rock solid video on all but the highest setting of the 5X zoom. The "point and shoot" Intelligent Auto is the best I have ever used, and displays its ever changing settings on the viewfinder, as you move the camera around. It is absolutely loaded with stuff.

If all that isn't enough for you, it does one touch 180 degree panorama shots and "3D" (although I think this is a software trick, rather than 2 lens system) and the batteries (self contained Li Ion) last for ages. I was at the Gadget Show Live last week and took 99 pictures, and videos up to 2 minutes in length each, and the first battery indicator bar didn't even go down. Spare batteries are only about £8, anyway.

You will need a memory card though, I got a 16Gb Sandisk for £8.50.

One reviewer did say that he didn't get a mains charger with his. I did (via Amazon Marketplace) but this really wouldn't be a problem, as you can pick up a generic USB charger for a couple of quid.

The most amazing thing about this camera?.........it's only £99!!

Buy it now, before they change their minds!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Colour Name: BlackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a small and light camera - not much larger than a typical smartphone, lighter than some. That's partly achieved by its being powered by a slim internal battery, rather than two AAs, however it doesn't come with a separate external charger for the battery: to charge it, the battery needs to be in the camera and the camera needs to be connected to the (provided) wall charger or to a USB outlet. Nor does the camera come with a memory card - it will take either SD cards or Sony's proprietary cards.

Once powered up for the first time, the phone goes into a simple setup menu, asking for language, date, time, timezone and so on (even display colour - there are three options). Each press of a button here makes a rather loud beep so the whole process is a little noisy. After allowing time to charge) it's then ready to go, and taking a photograph couldn't much easier - it's just a matter of point, zoom and shoot. Sony have included more advanced features but these are mainly not reflected in external controls, rather they are accessed through a single button leading into a simple menu structure, so they won't bother you too much if you don't want them. It's the first digital camera I've seen that is nearly as simple to use as my first camera, an Instamatic I got in the 1970s.

I'm impressed by the pictures the camera takes, and by its capable but unobtrusive automation - it is pretty good at second guessing what you're trying to do and applying features such as face location or redeye correction when required. The only drawback is there's no separate viewfinder, so using it in bright sunlight may be a bit tricky (it's difficult to say for sure since it's rained practically the whole time since I got it).

In short, a capable camera that is simple to use.
on 12 June 2012
Liked Most:
Great optical performance, especially the support for HD movies, which are a revelation compared to my old Cybershot S600.

Liked Least:
The flush-mounted movie on/off button, which out-of-box requires too much juggling with a finger nail to operate. Other mobile devices have similar problems because of manufacturers trying to avoid inadvertant operation. If more thought was put into raising and round-profiling the buttons, this might be avoided with less inconvenience in operation. My own solution was to build up several layers of plastic tape (height 0.5-1.00 mm), which I punched out round with an A4 hole punch, then used contact adhesive to stick it on to the original button. So far it works well and looks as though it was meant to be.
on 13 January 2013
The camera was smaller than I expected but perfect for fitting in a pocket. It might be a bit fiddly for anyone with larger hands. I bought it for the panoramic feature but it seems a good all round camera for the average point and snap photographer.
on 13 July 2013
Used this camera on my holiday.It takes good photos and is good in the auto mode.I bought it as a 2nd camera,so I can just put it in my pocket when I don,t want to take my digital slr.The movie mode is good on this camera.The only downside is the screen,which in certain light is not to easy to see,but most cameras have this problem.Would def recommend as a genral camera for holidays etc.
on 4 February 2013
We both have cameras which we have had for years and need servicing It cost more to do this than buy a camera so we chose very carefully to chose this one. Brilliant quality great pictures Buy one today Thank you
on 3 June 2014
OK, only just started using this, so not a full review but it feels like another winner from those Sony people.

In fact, it strikes me as absurdly good value.
This is a LOT of camera for £100.

For me, it's an upgrade from an old DSC-W17 (also Sony, 7.2mega pixels).

And if, like me, you're cautious about buying from non-Amazon vendors you don't need to be in this case.
I ordered it Friday afternoon and had it Monday morning. Well packaged, no problems at all.

Happy shooting!
on 12 August 2013
great little camera, walked around town and tried all the various brands before buying. This was my favourite in the price range by a mile. Naturally I didn't buy it in a shop (which I now view more as testing centres) and came straight to the tax-dodgers at Amazon. I would really recommend this camera. The low light pictures are excellent and it has some great effects. My fiance is also a bit obsessed with the panorama function. Takes decent video too.