4.0 out of 5 stars Fairly good young adult book
(I received a free copy of this book from the author in exchange for a review).

(This review may contain spoilers).

I did find this book one that was really easy to read. It was really entertaining to read and I did like the characters in the book.

Published 14 months ago by Sarah

3.0 out of 5 stars The opening of a series with potential
Published on 17 Dec. 2012 by bookblogger

3.0 out of 5 stars The opening of a series with potential, 17 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Shadow of Darkness: Volume I of the Creature Kid Series (Kindle Edition)
Shadow of Darkness by Rashad Freeman is a novella length story introducing Anthony Dimair. At first it seems like Anthony is just a normal highschool kid until one day he sprouts gigantic wings from his back. Soon after he finds himself under surveillance by mysterious men and strange things start happening. He and his friends decide to head out to try to reach his uncle with the hopes that he can shed some light on the situation.

This book seemed to me to be more of an introduction to the series than anything. The characters got pretty well fleshed out and there was a good amount of details revealed, but I didn't really think any questions were answered. We know that Anthony has wings, but the book stops before there are really any answers revealed. I understand it was most likely to build anticipation and was very successful in doing so, but I would have liked to have gotten a little bit of the mystery revealed.

Despite being left hanging a bit by the first book I have been keeping my eye out for the sequel. Most likely I will check it out when it becomes available to see what is really happening with Anthony and his friends. I know this sounds a bit vague, but I really don't want to give any of the ending away so I can't really cite any examples. One other thing to note is the copy that I read is an older version so I'm not sure if there were any major changes made to the book other than the cover and the title.

Review copy provided by the author.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fairly good young adult book, 4 April 2014
(I received a free copy of this book from the author in exchange for a review).

(This review may contain spoilers).

At times, I did find it a bit difficult to differentiate between the characters, though. Mit and Mikey had very similar names, so I kept getting confused between the two. I did, however, find the characters to be really well-written for the most part.

I thought it was good that the author spent as much time on the characters as the storyline itself. It was particularly realistic how Anthony and his friends reacted to the differences that Anthony was showing. It was also nice to see that his friends acted like true friends - they didn't just abandon him once the differences became clear.

It was good to see realistic consequences happen to the characters. The danger they were in came across really well and it was intense enough to keep me reading.

I did notice quite a lot of errors in the book - mostly wrong words being used, rather than misspellings. For instance, 'wrapping' was used instead of 'rapping' and 'curdled' instead of 'curled'.

This was a really good book and I would definitely be interested in reading the next book in the series in the future, when I've finished the many books I currently have left to read.