5.0 out of 5 stars Gripped with fear!
`The Dark Path', by Australian author Luke Romyn, is a novel in the horror genre. However, more than that, it also deals with questions of spirituality and the supernatural. Written in a very straightforward manner, with no excessive or flowery description (you are told as much as is necessary - I found this refreshing) it tells the story of a hard-headed, cold blooded...
Published on 7 Mar 2011 by Rich James

3.0 out of 5 stars Will read more Luke Romyn
Not really my usual type of book and nearly abandoned early on. However, persevered and pleased that I did. Contains a few interesting twists on old preconceptions.
Published 11 months ago by Jaybird

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant, 17 Aug 2012
This review is from: The Dark Path (The Legacy Chronicles) (Kindle Edition)
Couldn't put the book down, had me wanting to read more of what was next to come, captivating and I hung on to every word, a Def read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 17 July 2012
This review is from: The Dark Path (The Legacy Chronicles) (Kindle Edition)
I hadn't heard of Luke Romyn until I first started using Twitter. I checked out his website then the reviews on Amazon and as a horror fan I knew I had to download his book, The Dark Path.
I wasn't disappointed. It hooked me in from the start and kept me turning the page. I liked the supernatural aspect and the fact that somehow, you're made to care for the 'villian', Vain.
You'd never think it possible after the horrible things he does at the start of the story but by the end, you're wanting him to win and wanting him to find himself again.
It takes you through a range of emotions, one of them being complete and utter sadness. I actually cried when I found out why Vain had turned evil.
I'm now reading Beyond Hades by the same author and again, I've been hooked; I'm on the first chapter and I can't wait to get the kids in bed tonight to read some more!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a find!, 25 Jun 2012
This review is from: The Dark Path (The Legacy Chronicles) (Kindle Edition)
Thank Heaven for Twitter! It was through this social forum that I first encountered Luke Romyn and was tempted to read Beyond Hades as I have an interest in Greek Mythology. I loved the book and wanted more. As the sequel is not yet available I decided to try Dark Path, even though I have never been a fan of the horror genre. I am so glad I did! The biggest strength of Romyn's writing is his ability to hook you right from the very start of the story, engaging you with the main character in such a way that you feel a personal connection, a sympathy even, for a man that is evil personified. The story itself is extremely cleverly written and I found it refreshing that I couldn't second guess the twists and turns of the plot. Romyn has an unusually intuitive understanding of the age old conflict between good and evil, and I was fascinated by his ideas of the nature of God, Satan and the ethereal beings. I am a philosophy teacher and will definitely be encouraging my students to read and review this book.
Please don't be put off by comments relating to the finer points of grammar or syntax, this is a remarkable story that will take you on a journey into the realms of darkness and leave you with a renewed hope for the human spirit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping horror adventure., 7 Jun 2012
Elektra (Cambridgeshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Dark Path (Paperback)
This book was AWESOME! The way the author sets the scenes, with a touch of comedy added in with his heroes, and the sheer gripping horror!

Like watching a scary movie!

Buy it! Read it! You try putting it down!

2.0 out of 5 stars Terrible writing but vaguely interesting story, 25 Dec 2011
This review is from: The Dark Path (Kindle Edition)
This book is a curious one. I read the preview before buying it, and I strongly suggest you do, too - it nearly put me off, as the lack of editing or any form of proof-reading was painfully obvious. If you're the sort of reader who gets jolted out of the story by a missing apostrophe or an unnecessary line break, then you'll find this book quite hard going.

The author seems to be trying to find out how far he can go in terms of shocking the reader; another reason to check out the preview first. On the plus side, he doesn't hang around - there's no padding or flowery descriptions of every little thing, the story rockets along at quite a pace. This is a good thing, as it does distract you from the awful grammar and punctuation. Sadly, such bad writing has no place in a book which is retailing for the same price as a proper, well-written ( and edited) book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›