on 20 March 2016
Before buying the N60NCs I had picked up the earlier model, K490NC. I'd had to return them because the outer casing from the right headphone was loose and rattled when josstled. But I had been impressed with the noise cancelation. I hadn't been able to simply get the headphones replaced so I had to reorder which was when I came across the new version. A little more expensive, but I'd been so impressed with the others I felt it was worth it.

When I got them I immediately noticed a more robust feel to them. US reviews for the older pair had seemed to deliver negative news around the build of them. The N60s certainly feel stronger.

I also think that the nose cancelation seemed improved, particularly when not listening to music.... But that may just be an illusion. Either way its still impressive. Importantly the sound is excellent. Plenty of space, and while the bass will never over power, it's still good. They are also very responsive with portable players. When changing from my iPhone std earphones to the N60s I have to turn down the volume.

Now the negatives. 3 issues I guess. The switch on the side of the headphone is a bit cheap, which is a shame for the price of them, and this has the effect of creativity the occasional rattle from your left phone. But this certainly isn't anyway near a constant issue.

The N60s buzz slightly when I use noise cancelation while my iPhone was plugged in. No buzz with no noise cancellation

They also seem to pick up a large amount of phone interference. Buzzing that kept me expecting my phone to ring. This is also occasional and seems to depend where I am. This happens primarily when I'm sitting to the end of a carriage when I commute by train. Not always.

Where I can't fault them is on flights. Fab.

Despite these niggles I have to say I wouldn't give them up now and am so glad I bought them.
on 17 November 2015
DISCLAIMER: This review is targeted at newcomers to the quality headphone market, and won’t be of much use to audio technicians.

I have used these headphones pretty much every day for the past two years since purchasing, and have been so happy with them that this evening I felt bizarrely compelled to write a glowing Amazon review as my token of thanks to AKG. Coming from a generally critical guy, these bad boys most certainly earned their five stars.

SOUND: When I was doing research on headphones I found a major problem with a lot of headphones to be that they were far too heavy on the bass, which was alright when listening to RnB but weak for pretty much everything else ('Beats by Dre' are the classic example of this, please don't go anywhere near them). The AKGs strike a perfect balance, delivering top sound quality across all genres of music. I genuinely found myself listening to old songs differently through these 'phones, and falling in love with old artists again.

NOISE CANCELLING (NC): A major priority for me was to find a pair of ‘phones with a good NC function to drown out the Tube on the morning commute. Just to clear up some basic questions for those new to the technology, NC drowns out continuous sounds (a train moving or a plane engine) but not irregular sounds (someone speaking directly at you, or the car hooting as you absent-mindedly cross the road absorbed in your new musical world). These AKGs were marketed as the best value NC 'phones, and my God they did not disappoint. Two years after purchasing I am still blown away at how they clean up almost all outside noise on the Tube when listening to even the softer albums from artists such as Bon Iver or The xx. I would say that the NC is probably what I have been most pleased by from these AKGs.

PRACTICALITY AND DESIGN: As you can probably see from the pictures, the design is pretty sleek. Practicality is perhaps the one area where these ‘phones fall down. The case is made of fabric, and so does not provide much protection (although this has not been an issue). Furthermore, as a glasses-wearer, I have found that they tend to push against the frames behind my ears after a couple of hours of wear, which can be quite uncomfortable. I find it OK just to lift up my frames a bit, but if this is something that will really annoy you it might be worth looking at some over-ear ‘phones, rather than on-ears such as these.

The last thing I would say is to always try before you buy; I actually bought these at a Richer Sounds store in Holborn (Amazon probably wouldn’t appreciate me saying this but they’re a lot cheaper there too!) Whatever you decide to buy, I wish you many hours of enjoyment from your new headphones.
on 28 December 2013
Good sound, though bass is a little light, but well defined. not quite up to Bose standards though much cheaper. You have to be careful with the folding parts which look a bit fragile. The noise cancelling is fine for most situations, trains, planes and automobiles etc. They sit on the ear rather than around it, though the pads are comfy and can be worn for long periods without discomfort. All packs away in a semi circular bag and fits nicely in my hand luggage bag.
33 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse