5.0 out of 5 stars Really Pleased with Purchase
Published on 23 April 2012 by D. Miah

2.0 out of 5 stars not very reliable
I purchased the media player to use in an art installation that required a video to play back and loop.
The media player was connected to a DLP projector via HDMI and played the video fine, but when the end of the video came along instead of looping it gave an error that it couldn't read the file - which persisted unless the whole thing was reset.

We tried...
Published 3 months ago by JC Reus

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Pleased with Purchase, 23 April 2012
D. Miah (Midlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: JUSTOP HD Media Box Player Full HD 1080P HDMI Out, 5.1 Surround Sound Out - Play Movies / Music / Photos / Files directly on your TV (Electronics)
Ok firstly I agree the media player can be a bit temperamental but for the price it doesn't bother me. Usually when a video doesn't play it seems it's something wrong with the file as in my case it played some flv videos and not other flv videos (converting files on pc helped with playback on these). I used to use my PS3 to watch many of my videos and bought this because I needed something to play video files on the TV upstairs as I felt it would be easier than having to keep on taking the PS3 up and down stairs. Since getting this I no longer watch anything on the PS3 as this plays nearly any format video and only sometimes require converting when you get issues with videos not playing. I have no regrets buying this media player and am very pleased I made the purchase. At this price (19.99 + 4.99p&p) I could't be happier, yet maybe if I had payed more I may have expected bit more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Justop HD Media Player, 28 Mar 2013
I wanted a device to play my media files on my external hard drives as the television USB port and the soft ware on the the television would not play all the different types of file formats, I had recently bought a 4TB external hard drive to transfer all my media files to that are currently on 2 off external hard drives of 2.0 & 1.5 TB.
This i did but when i coupled the 4.0 TB hard drive through the Justop media player it would not recognize the files on the external hard drive. When coupled to the (2.0 & 1.5 TB) hard drive it functioned perfectly, Just as i wanted and as it was purchased to do so (but with the 4.0 TB hard drive). I must say the picture was very good and played all the different file formats on these hard drives ( 2.0 & 1.5 TB). As the saying goes, it does exactly as it says on the box, i was very pleased with it.
The problem why it wouldn't play the 4.0 TB hard drive is down to the USB connection and this is what buyers must beware of. The Justop media player will only handle hard drives with a USB 2.0 connection and no more than 2 TB capacity, it will not handle an external hard drive with a USB 3.0 high speed outlet with a 4 TB memory.( You must appreciate i am a novice with this type of technology and the information supplied in the technical specs do not make you aware of these facts, or if they do it was not in a way i understood this).
For the 4.0 TB hard drive with a USB 3.0 high speed outlet i would recommend the recently released Asus O!play HD2 Media payer.which is available on Amazon. For a comment on this please look on comments for this device.
NB It handles the 4.0 TB USB 3.0 outlet external hard drive fine, but still testing it, it will also take a 2.0 TB internal hard drive (to be purchased separately) but not necessary to use the unit.
I am using the justop media player in another part of the house coupled to the 2.0 TB external hard drive with USB 2.0 connection and am very pleased with it. The size of the unit makes it easily transportable and can move it from the bedroom to the outside workshop with great ease and is connected in seconds.

4.0 out of 5 stars A sweet yet misunderstood piece of kit., 16 April 2012
This little product is quite a nifty piece of kit, assuming you are aware of the limitations of other hardware you attach to it.

I bought this item because I was a bit fed up of having to attach my laptop to my TV in order to watch certain movie files that I'd made, converted from VHS or downloaded. I currently have it attached to the TV via HDMI cable, and have a mini 1 Terabyte NTFS hard drive attached. Now, I wasn't sure if that hard-drive would work with this device, since the drive itself is powered directly through the USB port, and has no external power source. But so far as I can tell it works like a charm.

Now, I've read a number of negative reviews of this item, but having used it myself, I'm forced to wonder if the people posting poor reviews have considered other factors:

I have experienced the unit skipping to the next video file after being paused. However, this is something I could quite easily put down to external hard drive mechanics. External drives are notorious for powering down when they have not been accessed for a short time. For some of the larger drives this can be 3-5 minutes. I have experienced exactly the same thing on a laptop and desktop PC when playing video files from an external hard drive. Even PC based video playback software can jump to the next file after being paused long enough for an external drive to power down.

I've not tried the same thing playing back a video from a USB stick or SD card yet. If other reviewers had posted precisely what they were doing when they encountered their issues, then troubleshooting incidents like this might not be so difficult.

Some reviewers have also posted about issues regarding FastForward and Rewind of certain video files. One reviewer said "A big problem is the fast forward/rewind only working properly on some videos. On others it freezes picture while still fast forwarding (so don't know where you are), and on some it freezes the player completely which then has to have power unplugged and plugged back in." Again, as an experienced computer user I can't definitively lay the blame at the doorstep of this unit. There are poor quality video files out there with bad bits of data in them, and while some PC based video playback software can "skip" these errors, others can't. People must remember that we are dealing here with a single purpose device, not a versatile computer.

Personally I'm thankful that this unit works with so many Codecs. I imagine that, given a half-decent quality external drive, USB stick or SD card, and a good quality data stream in the video file, then it will work like a dream. I just refuse to lay the blame on a hammer when it's the nail at fault. 4-Stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Buy, 17 Aug 2013
Sarah Conlin (Burlington, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
A great little gadget plays most formats havent had any issues with it clear
picture and sound. Will be investing in another one soon for upstairs

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good and simple to use., 23 Jan 2013
Only just received the Justop but so far it has been excellent, very simple to set up and use and I was especially pleased to see it would read the SD card from my Panasonic camcorder which records in AVCDH format but was able to view video easily. The main use will be watching films via USB stick and again so far has been perfect, easy to use, remote works well and after a quick glance at manual the rest is basically self explanitary. Obviously I don't yet know how it will be over the long term but so far I can highly recommend it and at £23.60 delivered a bargain I reckon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why pay more for onboard TV fil playback, 27 May 2012
B. Daw - See all my reviews
This is a little gem, the quality and flexibility of this little box is well worth it. I can play all types of video files through virtually any recently produced TV. The picture quality is excellent and the control/commands are more than I will need. Whilst the remote is small (you need specs to read it if you are over 40) it is very useful for the basic functions. I now have a mobile cinema in my pocket.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly as described, 18 Dec 2013
The main reason I bought the JUSTOP Media Player was so that I could play various formats of videos taken with digital cameras or downloaded from the internet on the big screen TV. I had looked at the WD Live media player but decided that this provided much more than I needed (and at a much greater cost).

The media player was very easy to set up (connect to the power socket and connect via a HDMI cable to the TV). Then just plug in a USB dongle with the media that you want to play and away you go. The on-screen menus are intuitive and easy to follow. So far it has played every video format that I have tried including a couple of formats that I was a little sceptical about whether it would be able to play. I have tried .AVI, .MOV, .TS, .FLV, .MTS and .MP4. All have played successfully.
The only slight criticism I would have is that there is no progress bar so that you can see how far through the video you are. However it is possible to hit a button which reveals technical details of the video including the total length and the time currently elapsed.

The JUSTOP Media Player will also play MP3 music files. However it does not recognise M4A or M4P formats that are used by iTunes. Personally I am not concerned about this as there are other ways of playing music.

The JUSTOP Media Player will also display still images such as JPG files. The only problem is that it fails to automatically recognise the correct orientation of photographs. It is possible to make the change manually but this isn't ideal which is a shame because in every other respect it runs excellent slideshows. I would have preferred to use the media player as a one stop shop for all media but it looks like I will have to continue running slideshows through my blu-ray player which does automatically recognise the correct orientation of photographs.

There have been some negative comments about the remote control in other reviews. Sure, it is small as are the buttons. But I found that once I had become accustomed to it there was no problem. If supplying a small remote keeps costs down then I am in favour of it. You have to point the remote vaguely in the direction of the unit as you do with all intra red controllers. Again not a problem for me.

The unit has a small blue LED light on the front. It's a little bright but not intrusively. I just turned the unit a little. No problem.

Overall, for the price, this is a great product and I would definitely recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 26 July 2013
Tiny device, but very impressive, just connect it up and you're off, I have no idea what the other reviewers who moaned about having to point the remote directly at it were on about, it works perfectly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Justop media player, 20 July 2013
Clever little media player !
Compact and plays every file ive put through it .
Connected to a 1tb WD hard drive it reads it immediately ,could be faster to navigate through the files but only a small niggle.Also only plays video when in video mode and music in same .
Seems to play everything aPS 3 cant and more !
Will also play from memory cards/sticks but havent tested this
Buy a cheap HDMI cable from here to connect to your tv and your good to go ,BARGAIN !

4.0 out of 5 stars Works Well, 23 Jan 2013
Plays everything I have thrown at it so far. MKV's play well. The remote is more responsive than I thought. The box is really small and is in a metal casing. Not had any problems so far.

Have knocked a star off because the video settings revert back to 720p every time I switch the box off at the mains, which I do regularly to take it in the other room.