on 21 May 2012
Last year I discovered Detective Bobby MacAuley in this author's excellent first novel, Black Beast. He's back with the second book in the MacAuley Clan series, LOST, and this one too is a winner.

The plot moves at a breakneck clip as strange events start occurring in a small town up in Idaho, where Bobby Mac's brother, Jax, serves as chief of police. A man murders his wife and one daughter, telling authorities the devil abducted his other daughter. Then two other girls are kidnapped. Soon it becomes clear that the forces of evil are arrayed in legions, with their superhuman strength and speed, against the puny and poorly organized forces of good. No wonder Jax feels out of his element.

Guthrie has a knack for mixing a detective story with world-ending horror. A lot is at stake -- you could even say everything is at stake. The MacAuley clan goes back a thousand years in Scotland, back to a time when people were quicker to label something evil, when they saw it. But there are also fascinating links to American Indians and their arcane languages in the Pacific Northwest.

LOST has everything I want in a book: spare, intelligent writing, a riveting plot, characters I love and some I love to hate, beautiful descriptions of the land and of people, a touch of ancient history, and large quantities of spilt blood. I love it when one of the evil guys says to Bobby Mac, telling him how easy it was to break out of prison, "It was like Mayberry RFD up there." Don't start reading LOST unless you're ready to go the distance, because you won't want to put it down.
on 5 February 2012
Officially one of my most favorite writers now, R.S. Guthrie scores big with Lost and tucks another winner for the Clan of MacAulay under his belt.

Like Black Beast, Lost is a well-written nail-biter, showcasing a protagonist who could never be accused of being one-dimensional. Detective Robert MacAulay--a tough as nails, big-hearted fellow who is no stranger to tragedy-- is so exceptionally developed that he seems real, adding to the overall suspense of the story because you just don't want anything bad happening to Bobby Mac. There's an emotional depth to Guthrie's writing that hooks you by the heart and yanks you headlong into Bobby's world, and what a harrowing world it is! Missing children, apparitions appearing in the middle of nowhere in their Sunday best, demon possessions, human sacrifices, bloody confrontations between the FBI and the spiritual realm. Evil is rampant and only Bobby Mac has the weapon to fight it. One particular chilling scene involves a man who brutally murders his family, Spence Grant. Guthrie forces the reader into Grant's head, which is not a pleasant place to be. His thought processes resonate so disturbingly authentic that I had to wonder if Guthrie had studied the profiles of actual killers and is giving his readers a glimpse into their minds. Really, it was very creepy.

That's it for spoilers! You'll have to read this good-versus-evil page-turner with a paranormal twist to see how the coolest male sleuth ever goes head-to-head with Black Beast once again! Needless to say, I highly recommend Black Beast and Lost and look forward to the next Clan of MacAulay mystery.
on 28 January 2012
Black Beast, the first book in this series, was so good that obviously I was really looking forward to reading the second book in the Bobby Mac series. And I am very happy that my waiting for the book didn't disappoint me. This book is so good that it was really hard to put it down every night to go and have some sleep. The characters are so well described and their personalities so well developed, that you feel them as being very alive. Bobby Mac is one of those heroes that you cannot forget, one of those characters that will be forever in your mind, wanting to read more about him and about his whereabouts. Since this is a book about the battle between the good and the evil, we have good characters and bad ones. You will be surprised by all of them.
As for the plot, it just flows effortlessly from the beginning to the end. You get so hooked on the story that it is as if you are there, so good is the power of the words. R. S. Guthrie is a master of suspense. His words and the story keeps you glued to the chair, you just need to go on reading, to know more, to see if the end is going to be what you expect or a completely unexpected one. And you don't get disappointed.
And now I am quite looking forward to read the third book in the series. I declare myself a Bobby Mac fan. I declare myself a Rob Guthrie fan. Congratulations, Rob, you did it again!!
on 12 January 2012
Lost is the sequel to Black Beast, Bobby Mac is back! Stronger, cooler and more determined than ever.This book has demons and monsters who rein pure terror on the small town, that Bobby and his officers are trying hard to protect.An aparition appears called Wayne, who Bobby takes a while to trust, not sure wether it's a figment of his own imagination,but eventually Bobby sees that Wayne is a guiding force for good over evil and is trying to help him.I read this fabulous juicy book in just a couple of days, it truly was unputdownable! Once you start reading this book, you are turning each page like there is no tomorow, and when you do get to the end you are left wanting more and more. I am please to hear we will be hearing more from Bobby Mac a true force to be reckoned with. This book was a superb read, brilliantly written, I loved the authors clever usage of words throught the story, you could tell the author had really thought about every single word he wrote very carefully. If I could give this amazing book a higher star rating I most certainly would alas I give it a five star because that was allthat was available, there should be a special star rating for books as cleverly written as this one. If you are thinking of reading this then do it! buy it now trust me you will not be disappointed!
on 23 January 2012
After reading the first book in the Bobby Mac series I was always going to be one of the first in line for LOST. Having bought it, I read it in one day!

Bobby Mac is reunited with Agent Byrne and we are introduced to his brother, Jackson. Also back are cousin Meyer and old enemy father Rule, still intent on the destruction of good.

I won't give anything away regarding the plot, but suffice it to say Guthrie's prose will sweep you along in a beautifully written story with characters you can really relate to.

I don't know when the next in the series is due out, but I will certainly be back for my copy!
on 4 April 2015
Just as good as the previous one, Bobby Mac is on the trail of the evil Rule who is just as bloodthirsty as before. This time there are children involved and Bobby Mac teams up with his brother Jackson in hot pursuit. There are the usual beautiful lush descriptions of the landscape and psychological ponderings but it is a cracker of a novel, more of a slow-burner than normal but so what?! This one is too good to rush and no plot spoilers but this one does pack a pretty big emotional punch - you have been warned!
on 11 April 2013
found it very hard going. very slow and hard to follow. I followed what others had said about the book and i thought it would be good. Maybe it was just me. I like fast paced books.
on 28 August 2015