on 24 December 2012
My background of being a *nix admin did provide me with a good stepping stone in understanding the infrastructure of systems but it has always been in the area's that I needed to know about. Having now taken up a role in overseeing the whole infrastructure architecture I was in search of anything to plug any gaps I had or serve as a refresher. Ofcourse there are many technical books on specific technologies at a lower technical level (Cisco, HDS, Redhat, Windows, SCCM etc..) but I was after a holistic view as I can then always enquire from the technical experts for that required field or look up the required documentations.

Positives:
-Manages to pull a lot of information in one book, covering topics such as Networks, Storage, Servers & Data Centre the only book that I have come across that does this.
-Layed out in a logical manner and diagrams are clear.
-Info does suffice a beginner or someone looking for a good level of understanding on an infrastructure component.

Negatives:
-There is a lot of basic information in there that even for me (and I am relatively new to the architecture field) that I just skipped or skimmed over. So it can be a little wordy for an experienced person.
-Sometimes it does get a little too historical.
-No end-to-end infrastructure design or best practices.

It is a hard job pulling in all the information in one place and one of the only books that I know that does this which is still in a readable format so kudos to Sjaak for pulling this off. However, IT Architecture is an expert field and sometimes I feel that the author is trying hard (possibly too hard) to go back to the basics at an introductory level. It's really about the target audience for this book, if this book is to appeal to the experienced architects/engineers/technical admin (which it says it does) then it will need a little more work to incorporate topics such as the inter-dependencies between infrastructure components, best practices, designs and perhaps delve a little towards the application side but if the target audience is for a beginner or someone who is at an introductory level then this an excellent read.

Hope this helps.
on 25 October 2014
I found this book to be very good introduction to IT infrastructure. While there are books that provide more detail on many of the areas covered. This book was worth every penny. It covered such a wide range of infrastructure topics and also provided historical context. It would definitely be useful for anyone who needs a broad rather detailed understanding of IT infrastructure. Furthermore, it was easy to read which makes it invaluable as reference that I can easily dip into whenever I need.
on 16 March 2013
This book gave me exactly what I was looking for, in that it gave a brief overview of a very wide range of infrastructure topics without getting into the nitty-gritty details.

The book went just far enough to explain the fundamentals, and I can now dig deeper into a few topics I need to know more about.