Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Paperwhite Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Kindle EditionChange

on 19 February 2012
Ever wish that Snow White, Cinderella and the rest of the heroines from fairytales would just quit telling their sob stories? Want to hear from the "evil stepmother's" side instead? I know I do, especially since watching Wicked in London's West End. That Dorothy was such a brat!

I loved the writing style of this story immediately; Carpenter is one witty writer. We meet the Queen as a young Princess and follow her path to villain/adulthood. She's devious, ruthless and oh so delightfully evil, but no more so than many male leaders that dominate the history books, as the author points out in his note at the end of his story. In this tale, we learn that Snow White was the original owner of the magic mirror, vain little thing, tsk tsk. Hansel and Gretel may have escaped the gingerbread house but they didn't get very far after that, thanks to our vengeful Queen. We also learn that Sleeping Beauty's rescuers were on a mission to "get paid" and "get laid". Warning to traditionalists: the stereotypical Prince Charming is nowhere to be found in this fairytale.

I really enjoyed reading this spoof and how all the various characters and elements of much loved fairytales came together. Read this dark comedy for a laugh.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 January 2012
Whimsical but with a darkly satirical twist, 'Happily Ever After' is an amusing retelling of Snow White (with a few other fables thrown in for good measure) from the bad gal's perspective. It's lightly penned with a decent pace and there's enough there to raise a few smiles. I would have liked the formatting to be slightly more manageable - some paragraphs are rather dense - but once you get used to that there's some work here to appreciate. The narrative style works well. No typo issues that I spotted, for all that. A nice piece.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse