5.0 out of 5 stars One Of The Greatest Books Ever. And So Nostalgic.
As can be gleaned from the title, this is one of my favourite books ever.

It's laugh out loud funny, and I have done on many occasion to odd looks from my wife.

Published on 15 Dec. 2011 by Scott Fraser

3.0 out of 5 stars Painfully honest and packed with humour
I am a pupil in year 8 at school.

I have read the secret diary of Adrian Mole 13 3/4 and really enjoyed it.

It is a diary of a teenage boy named Adrian. It is painfully honest and packed with humour. He describes himself as a 'misunderstood intellectual' as he goes through the ups and downs of a tennage boy. This book is very funny and I would...
Published on 14 Nov. 2012 by BSSFC

5.0 out of 5 stars One Of The Greatest Books Ever. And So Nostalgic., 15 Dec. 2011
Scott Fraser "A Likely Lad" (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As can be gleaned from the title, this is one of my favourite books ever.

Adrian Mole was a teenage hero of mine and I read the book dozens of times in the 80's, it's so realistic and true to life and did represent some of the issues that I went through at that age. I could relate to it because I was roughly the same age and came from the same background as Adrian did. It rang a bell with me.

Now I look back on it with fondness and nostalgia and the good thing is my own kids have read it and claim it's on par with Harry Potter, great praise indeed.

Sue Townsend writing style is concise and free flowing and thought provoking, she has the good habit of being able to entertain in a funny while at the same time being to address serious issues to a teenager.

The new edition of the book is very attractive with nice gold lettering and printed on recycled paper, something of which I heartily approve of.

Next year is the thirtieth anniversary of this fabulous book and there is going to be a special commemorative volume to celebrate. I will be getting that but I'll keep this version of it for my twice yearly reading of the book as my original has all but disintegrated.

One of the classics of British literature and no bookshelf is complete without it. Fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still a very entertaining read, but this is in no sense a special edition., 14 Jan. 2012
S. J. Williams "stevejw2" (Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Re the '30th Anniversary Edition:

Fresh from its triumph on the BBC4 radio Book Programme as the best comic novel (a little hard to accept, I can't help feeling) this very amusing and insightful novel about the often embarrassing but invariably charming foibles of its hero is a real pleasure to revisit, as many other reviews here indicate. However, the Vine review copy I received contains no 'new introduction by David Walliams' (as suggested on the Amazon product page - and frankly I doubt that would be a major attraction for anyone really) and so differs only in its cover from the other manifestations over the years. (I'm sure the intro will be there on purchased copies.) Essentially the 'anniversary edition' label is just a marketing ploy and should not tempt anyone who already has a copy. For anyone else, don't be put off by any suggestion that this 30 year old classic is old-hat nostalgia. It is a touch dated, and perhaps appeals most to those who lived through the period and chuckle at the memories jogged by fashion references etc. But in essentials this remains very fresh and amusing, though always with great sympathy for our hero's touching efforts to find himself, assert his place in the world and come to grips with burgeoning hormones. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun and very nostalgic, 25 Jan. 2001
I was 12 3/4 when I first read this book, soon after it was first published. I wondered what all the fuss was about as I didn't find it funny at all. That's because I was just as naive as Adrian Mole. A couple of years later I read it again and found it much funnier. Then, a couple of years later, funnier still. Adults growing up in the eighties will love this for the references (Falklands, Thatcher, Hitler diaries etc) but the teenage angst is timeless. My original is now much dog-eared, selotaped and, yes, loved. Buy the Growing Pains as well, it is equally as good. I must go now and update my Norwegian Leather Industry chart...

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for intellectuals!, 25 Nov. 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I must have been about 9 or 10 when I first read the Adrian Mole books - more than 25 years ago! I remember at the time what a fun book it was, and how very easy it was to read, though I suspect, reading it again now, that I was probably a bit young and much of the content went over my head.

Fast forward to 2011 and I feel like I'm reliving that period of my childhood all over again, starting with the inside cover, which features the lovely original artwork of the book published all those years ago.

The references to popular culture at the time may no longer be of interest to today's young readers, but the quality and humour of the writing is still as good now as it was then.

This 30th Anniversary edition has rekindled my lost love of these books, and I shall certainly be purchasing the rest in the series to complete the journey!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Public Review of My Daughter Aged 11 and seven-eighths, 18 Jan. 2012
O E J - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As I haven't personally read this book, I must defer to my daughter, who is nearly 12 years old. This is what she had to say about it:-

"Adrian is a typical teenage boy and has many worries in his life, such as spots, girls, parents and what he should be when he grows up. A vet? A poet? At the moment he is trying to be a poet and sends many poems to a gentleman who works for the BBC, as well as to his girlfriend Pandora. His parents have recently split up, Adrian's mother having had an adulterous affair with the next-door-neighbour. Adrian now lives with his father, and is the only child. Devastated, Adrian has to survive with a dad who smokes a lot and stays in bed a lot because he is unemployed. He also has to come to terms with his dad having a girlfriend, who's very thin. On top of all this Adrian joins a club called the Good Samaritans and as a result has to look after an elderly man called Bert Baxter, cleaning his house and buying newspapers. He'd expected it to be interesting, listening to war stories and so on, but it turns out to be hard work. Overall Adrian's life is busy and stressful, and I wouldn't want to be in his shoes - he has to put up with Mr Baxter, he's forced to give his pocket money to a school bully, he has problems at home with his family, and he gets tonsilitus which leads him to hospital.

"I think this book is really good, it's funny from beginning to end and it made me smile a lot. Maybe I laughed a few times too, I can't remember. I felt sorry for Adrian but his diary is so funny and I would recommend it to my friends and anyone of my age."

This book is as suitable to children today as it was 30 years ago. It doesn't seem at all 'dated' and it's clear that my daughter enjoyed reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth a return visit, 23 Dec. 2011
John Tierney (Wirral, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I first read this when it was published and it made a great impression on me. Rereading it almost 30 years later I found that whole tracts of it were logged in my memory. Set in 1981, it shows us the world from Adrian's perspective. He's 13, pretentious, immature and a hypochondriac. We see things that he doesn't, for example the trials and tribulations of his parents' marriage because he tells us what they say and what happens without understanding himself.

It's a easy read and not demanding, but today it's a wonderful evocation of life in the early 80s, when nothing happened on Sundays and being 13 made everything seem so serious.

I'll definitely get the sequels again.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic with great comedy value, 12 Feb. 2012
C. Bannister (Jersey, CI) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having owned a copy of this book with the original cover; Noddy toothbrush next to the shaving brush and razor, I jumped at a chance to revisit such an old friend. This grown up 30th edition cover has the original printed on the reverse. It is hard to believe now that parents were unsure whether Adrian Mole was a suitable reading material for 13 year old girls but maybe that's because parents are now more realistic about the lives their children live than they were in the 1980s.

The diary format lends itself to comedy but Sue Townsend manages to make nearly every one of these entries funny 'I think Nigel will be ill soon from the shock of the cold in England. I think Nigel's parents were wrong to take him abroad' Nigel got a racing bike for Christmas 'It's wasted on Nigel' is Adrian Moles conclusion.

This is an affectionate look at the life of a teenage boy who has a lot to deal with including the breakdown of his parents marriage and his love of the unobtainable Pandora. Although firmly set in the 80's with the Royal Wedding getting an extra long entry (until the next day when Adrian writes 'I have seen the Royal Wedding repeats seven times on television' and the following day 'Sick to death of the Royal Wedding') it is still relevant to teenagers today. The gadgets we have may have changed but the way humans behave and think remains the same.

5.0 out of 5 stars TEENAGE ANGST IMMORTALISED, 1 Jan. 2012
Mr. D. L. Rees "LEE DAVID" (DORSET) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
"I think I'm turning into an intellectual. It must be all the worry."

As funny now as it was thirty years ago, the diary reveals its young writer's woes. No wonder spots plague! Parents seemingly on the brink of divorce, both determined the other has custody of him. Beloved Pandora not as forthcoming as he would wish. School bully Barry Kent demanding protection money. Old Bert Baxter (a Samaritan project in order to get out of Maths) smelly and disgusting, his dog an additional hazard.

"Just my luck!"

Should we feel guilty at laughing so much? It is hard to do otherwise. The book is a joy, all the way through, delights to be found on virtually every page. After "Animal Farm" Adrian declares, "I shall treat pigs with the contempt they deserve." He will persevere with Iris Murdoch, hoping to understand more than one word in ten, success meaning he will truly be lifted above the common herd.

Entries tell of Thatcher, Charles and Diana marrying, the Falklands War (its outbreak eclipsed by a personal hilarious mishap). It is, though, the daily awkwardnesses that dominate - little things like Adrian having his tonsils out, father visiting him in hospital bearing crisps.

Yes, just his luck - but what a treat for readers! Instantly hailed as a comic classic, the diary still greatly entertains. Warmly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Mole, 8 Mar. 2011
I read this book when I was about the same age as Adrian - only, I just figured this out! I am sharing it with my son who is aged 10!

SO, how could I have forgotten about the wet dreams???? My son was killing himself laughing at this but I then had to explain to him what it was - much blushing later I continued. Then the bit about the number of sperm produced in a day and the fact that he spilt some deliberately...and what must priests suffer!!!! OK - it was a kinda cringy book to share with him...but it did give us the opening to talk about these things!

Back to the book - alot of the references are, of course, dated. However, it was cool to be able to share the "history" with my son - talking about when there were only 3 tv channels etc.

AND we laughed! My son really got the subtle humour - the bits going on that Adrian had no idea about - which did rather surprise me! He seemed to enjoy looking out for the hidden (well, from Adrian) plotlines. I also enjoyed re-reading it.

If you have read it before, then why not rediscover it - if you are reading it for the first time....enjoy! Errmmm - and dont blame me if you are sharing it with a young person and end up blushing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Age cannot wither him............, 31 Jan. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This was wonderfully funny and at times an ouch with sympathy book back in 1982, and it hasn't changed in its appeal. Adrian Mole, 13 3/4 becomes 15 when this book ends, or as he notes, on Tuesday March 23rd "I will be fifteen in eleven days. So I have only got to wait one year and eleven days get married should I want to" Mole is, as he tells us, an intellectual. To prove it, he reads heavy books, writes to Malcolm Muggeridge and the Radio Producer John Tydeman, with his immortal poems. He and his lady love, Pandora, are surely one of the great, tragic pairs of lovers of history - Anthony and Cleopatra, Romeo and Juliet, Tristan and Isolde, Cathy and Heathcliff - Adrian and Pandora are right up there!

This is adolescence, funny, sharp - but also a look at Britain in the early 80's Thatcher, the Falklands, unemployment, the splitting of the Labour Party, the women's movement, all viewed through Adrian's eyes. It's a world where pimples, and the length of Adrians 'thing' are at least as important as the fact that the world is supposed to end, twice, during the course of the book.

A perfect, joyous read. Adrian, wherever you are, now aged 43 and 3/4, or maybe even 45, you are a star!