5.0 out of 5 stars a wonderful début
Fracture is Megan Miranda's début novel, it is truly a wonderful read and I devoured it very quickly.

Published on 6 Jan 2012 by carly

3.0 out of 5 stars Not completely sure about this book
Published on 7 Jun 2012 by Dog lover

5.0 out of 5 stars a wonderful début, 6 Jan 2012
carly (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fracture (Paperback)

Delaney is the main character in the book, she is just a regular down to earth teenager, who is secretly in love with her best friend. The story starts off with Delaney falling through a frozen lake near her house. Best friend Decker rescues her with the help of their friends. Eleven minutes Delaney was under the water, she should be dead.

She wakes in the hospital for coma, doctors are amazed and immediately start running brain scans. The brain scans do not come back normal, but doctors cannot believe Delaney doesn't suffer from some symptoms like memory loss, speech problems, thing like that, she is a medical miracle.

Strange occurrences start happening, Delaney feels a pull in her body, an itching, leading her to the dying. Thing is she doesn't know if she is drawn to the dying or she is causing the deaths.

Delaney meets Troy, who is an older guy, and seems to get Delaney. He suffers from the same bone chilling gift as Delaney and the two of them seem to be linked to each other. Troy is not how he seems, he has a sinister side. Delaney finds finds him in the assisted living centre where he works, aiding an old lady along with her own death. Everything come into sharp focus for Delaney, she knows she needs to stay away from Troy, she knows what he is doing is wrong, but he pursues and frightens her.

When Delaney senses the death of someone she knows, she realises her gift is more of a curse.

Delaney drifts apart from Decker and the rest of her friends. Her mum is distant and just wants to force pills down her throat, to make things go back to normal.

The end was a pleasant surprise for me, it left me begging for more. The characters in this book were well developed and I had a connection to Delaney from the off. Some good guys and some more dark and sinister. I stepped right into this world with ease. It was beautifully written with a fresh, intriguing storyline.

A thrilling Must read.

But the question still remains "If you had one day left to live, what would you do?"

3.0 out of 5 stars Not completely sure about this book, 7 Jun 2012
This review is from: Fracture (Kindle Edition)
Fracture puzzles me, for a number of different reasons. Firstly, the storyline is interesting and unique, and the idea of a girl who has had a near-death experience and is now drawn to the dying and dead is something not seen a lot. The descriptions, particularly of the hospital and the dying patients, are clever and intriguing, and the book does carry a sense of 'what happens next' throughout. The book does excel in its cliffhangers and elaborate, spontaneous ideas.

However, the book failed to touch my heart or make me feel for any of the characters. This is plainly because none of the characters have any personality - they are all simple and predictable, and none of them seem to feel or convey human emotions at all, like fear and anger - and if they do, we are certainly not told. By the end of the book, I was still not clear on who Delaney really was, and if she was quiet, confident, fearless, generous or introverted. I think it's important to be able to relate to the characters in a book, but it wasn't possible in Fracture.

Also, there are several unexplained loose ends. For example, halfway through, when Delaney visits the hospital, she sees a grey, extra-terrestrial-looking, dying person. This was a really interesting description and I wanted to know what happened to this person, and what was wrong with them - but no more was said about them; they were simply forgotten. Sick people in the hospital are also continuously described, but after that, they are forgotten and left. If you are going to create a sick, fascinating character, you could at least explain what is wrong with them, or say who they are.

The book wasn't poignant, emotional or thought-provoking, and I think this is where it fails; the lack of depth and humanity in characters, and the frustrating lack of explanations and emotional description. However, it is interesting and fast-paced - so if you're looking for a quick, ghostly novel, then I suppose this is it. Just don't expect anything more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fracture, 15 Jan 2012
This review is from: Fracture (Paperback)
I have so much love for this incredible debut novel! This was an outstanding read from an exciting new author who is definitely one to watch. She literally blew me away with this captivating title which I adored from start to finish. As soon as I'd finished then I wanted to start reading it all over again. It's difficult to really put into words how much I enjoyed this book and how immersed I became in the story but suffice it to say, 'Fracture' already has a permanent place in my list of favourite reads for 2012.

Delaney's life changes after she falls into a frozen lake. Trapped underwater for eleven endless minutes her heart stops and she's declared dead but then miraculously starts breathing again after being pulled from the ice. But Delaney has changed and she isn't the same person she used to be. She can't make sense of what she's feeling but she finds herself mysteriously drawn to the dead and dying.

Central to the book is the bond between Delaney and her childhood friend and neighbour Decker. I loved their friendship and although they both won't admit to their real feelings for each other, you can tell that these are two people who are destined to be together. They complete each other perfectly. I adored Decker who is the gorgeous boy next door type and who is sensitive and caring inside. I wish I could just pluck him out of the pages of the book and conjure him up right in front of me! As much as I fell in love with Decker, I seriously disliked Troy who Delaney meets after her accident. He's an ominous presence in the book and actually pretty creepy and sinister. He's the complete opposite of Decker and seems to be the bad to Decker's good.

I loved Delaney who narrates the story from a first person perspective. She is strong and stubborn and brave and became a character who I could really relate to. Her relationship with her mother becomes strained after the accident and I thought the exploration of this was extremely interesting. Her mother wants to keep her safe but can't come to terms with the person that Delaney's become. She wants the old Delaney back but she's been changed forever after her near death experience. Delaney in turn has to try to understand her mother's motivations which have been shaped by her own family history.

'Fracture' is a novel about life and death, love and friendship and the meaning of family. I felt quite emotional during and after reading it because I really became connected to all the characters and their lives. Brilliantly written, I was gripped and absorbed by every single second of the story. It's quite literally one of the best debuts I have ever read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A surprising and thrilling ending, 19 Sep 2012
This review is from: Fracture (Paperback)
Fracture, Megan Miranda's debut novel, simply took my breath away. As a combination of amazing writing style, intriguing plot and easily relatable characters, it has all the ingredients of a perfect book. Miranda manages to grab your attention on the very first page and make you keep on reading until the very end. Fracture is a real page-turner from a highly talented debut author - a definite must have for the fans of YA fiction.

If I had to choose one thing about this book I loved the most, I'd be at a loss. The story is very intriguing and fast paced - it grabs you at the very beginning and doesn't let you put the book down right until the end. It has everything an excellent story should have: a little bit of mystery, hidden secrets, and romance as well. I'm always a little bit scared when it comes to YA romance because sometimes it comes off a bit cheesy, but Fracture is everything but cheesy. Miranda's writing style is just brilliant. She describes everything in such a way, in such details that it's almost as if you watched a film instead of reading the book. It's as if you were there with the characters and experienced everything they were going through.

In addition to a marvellous plot and writing style, Miranda's characters are easily relatable and quite likeable. Delaney and Decker are a fantastic duo and they make the book even better. There's something about him, something I can't quite put my finger on that makes you love him even if he's being rude or annoying. I found Delaney's relationship with her mother how she was turning into her own mother quite interesting as well. Coming from a family where her father abused her and her mother didn't care about her at all, Delaney's mum does everything she can to get rid of her past and forget her painful memories. I found it interesting how she was always scrubbing the kitchen counter even if it was immaculately clean, almost as if she wanted to erase something from her life and how Delaney started doing the same thing towards the end of the book.

With a gripping storyline comes a surprising and thrilling ending - I seriously couldn't have predicted what was about to happen and the author had me on the edge of my seat all along. I'm not lying when I say I loved everything about this book. Every single detail was perfectly written and I literally devoured it within 24 hours. A fantastic debut from a brilliant author whose work has completely taken me by surprise - I can't wait to see what she comes up with next.

3.0 out of 5 stars A simply great standalone, 30 May 2012
This review is from: Fracture (Paperback)
Just one quick little rant that I have before I start the review - Delaney and Decker? I mean what were their parents smoking when they named their children? I know these aren't the weirdest names that YA fiction has to offer but maybe that's because they are American names, ones which I'm not used to.

Fracture is just one of those books that sends chills up your spine. I was describing certain scenes to my sister and it just gave me that thrilling feeling. One scene that literally gave me goosebumps was Delaney describing how many minutes she was underwater and also when they talk about your knowledge due to where you live - One thing people from Maine can do? Rescue people who have fallen through the ice.

Fracture as a concept was a good one, it's one where you don't know what to expect, will it be paranormal? psychological? I liked that it leant both ways making you question everything that Delaney was thinking. It was an incredibly short, conciese read that went by without you realising. I love that there were some more creepy/ eerie moments due to Delaney's 'power' or attraction to those who are dying, those scenes had a scary feel, but in a good way.

I also felt that the plot kind of stopped and started, the pace slowing and then speeding up suddenly. It made it hard to get used to but then it set the tone for those sections; such as the slower section were normally the creepy ones that just added to the suspense.

Fracture is a great standalone that'll you'll find simple, enjoyable but utterly thrilling.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fast paced and action packed book!, 26 Mar 2012
This review is from: Fracture (Paperback)
Fracture is a new take on the subject of death. With a touch of paranormal excitement, this book won't let you go until you've read the very last page.

This book had me fixed the whole way through. It has everything you want in a book; excitement, action, mysteries, romance, etc. There were many times when I felt that my heart would burst out of my chest! Yes! It was that exciting. The story is set in winter, and, by the way the scenes were described and used, it made me believe that I was out in the cold!

I don't think I enjoyed the main character, Delaney, as much as I could have done. For one, would you phone some random guy off a street if he claimed he knew what was wrong with you? Hmmmm? Second, she didn't make very sensible decisions. Most of the book was about her running off with some guy she barely knew. For those who don't like weak and helpless heroines, Fracture might not be your cup of tea.The character I loved most was definitely Decker. He is a fun and sweet boy who I just couldn't get enough of! I think you guys will like him....

Megan Miranda is so freaking awesome. I don't think a scene has ever impacted me as much as this one. I think it was the second to last chapter....All I could hear was my pulse roaring in my ears and my breath quickening. It's a great suspense/action bit in the book that I think you guys will enjoy.

Overall, Fracture is a fast paced and action packed book that you will not forget! I also recommend that you read this now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Wonderful, 7 Jun 2012
This review is from: Fracture (Paperback)
Having woken up from just 5 hours sleep, after having stayed up reading this book until 3am, my first action is to write this review, why? I guess it is because this is truly one of the best books I've read in quite a while (on parr with stories such as Forbidden Definitions and Noughts&Crosses).
The first thing to really say is how easily it flowed. Some books can come across as very fake a forced, where as I never felt that the author was trying to get Delaney's life story in with a word limit, instead it just all happened naturally. This was very much true when it came to her romances, especially with Troy. I am the worst critic for forced, non-realistic romances, and having read the blurb I initially thought that Miranda would be an author that yet again couldn't pull off Delaney and Troy meeting, and then having a connection and love-interest. Let me tell you, I was very wrong. Miranda executed it magnificently, as I didn't doubt that Delaney found him attractive, and why because it seemed so expected to me, and so like Delaney's character.
There were so many other wonderful things about this book, and one of my favourites was all the characters. Miranda never once doubt the realism of the characters because she had no hyperbole within each of them. She produced a protagonist, Delaney, that was very much likeable and very empathetic, which made it an absolute joy to read. Then there was Decker, Delaney's best friend, and although I wanted to shake him at times (I so very much wanted in Delaney and Decker enter a romantic relationship), I still really liked him and still understood many of his actions, as I felt his grief. Troy was even easier to understand, despite how complex a character he was, because I knew why he completed his actions. Similarly, the parents were wonderful, and having not actually met them before the accident, I could still tell through Delaney's voice how they had changed in regards to her following accident, and I could imagine my parents being the same.
The only issue I may have with the book is the science. I'm not sure how likely the brain scan being, especially considering she can function, but then Miranda brought that up to - claiming it a miracle. Even if it is highly unlikely, Miranda did sell it convincingly enough (I am just a scientist at heart, and am studying Biology so. . .), through both Delaney not understanding and Decker explaining a possible theory as to how she survived for 11 minutes. Even the slight doubt over this has not deterred my rating because it is barely a criticism or issue,
This has been very rambly, and not revealed the plot like I usually look for in a review, but that is because I think to truly understand the story, one has to read it. I think it was truly splendid, and will be reading it again soon, as well as looking out for other books by Megan Miranda. I thoroughly recommend you take a swing at this book, because you will not be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting idea and a unique storyline too., 23 Mar 2012
Miss Victoria Ramage (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fracture (Paperback)
The idea of a girl surviving 11 minutes under water, and the consequences of that, was what first pulled me in and made me want to read Fracture. I was curious to see where it would go, although I guessed they would be going down the paranormal route easily enough. I was expecting it to be very similar in style to all the over YA books out there - Girl has powers/is special, girl meets mysterious new guy, girl encounters much death and destruction. Actually, when I put it like that, it is like every other YA out there. But there's something about Fracture that makes it a little bit different too.

The characters in this, apart from Delaney and Troy, really annoyed me in many places. Decker didn't annoy me as much but he did have his moments. I had difficulty understanding him. Decker is your stereotypical boy-next-door but other than that I never really 'got' his character. He was going from beating himself up to kissing some other chick to taking Delaney out to the theatre and I was waiting for him to make his bloody mind up already.
One particular character, Delaney's mother, was the reason why I have given this book 4 stars. I am sick to death of YA books with overbearing parents. If they're dead, that's fine by me because I know if they're alive I'll have to put up with constant whining from them. With Delaney's mother, she was constantly at Delaney's back, sending her back to the Doctor, shoving pills down her neck and generally making Delaney feel as though her mother wished she were dead. You just don't do that with your kids. You give them a chance to heal and you work with what you've got. If Delaney was out every night drinking then fair enough. But she just wanted to concentrate on her studies.
Troy was an excellent addition to this, and he added a darkness to it which felt quite unique. His character is one I'll still remember in a years time. He had a bit of a God Complex about life and death, slowly becoming more twisted as the story progressed and the ending was one that I didn't expect. Apart from Delaney, he was the only character that felt real, not like a cardboard cut-out.

The ending really impressed me, it was shocking and final - I was fully expecting your average 'BUY MY NEXT BOOK!' cliffhanger so the Author can write a sequel but you can read this, be satisfied that the story is complete enough and not feel as if you have the buy the sequel, assuming there will be one. At the moment I believe it is a standalone but I fully expect a sequel to turn up in the next year or so. There are tiny ends that haven't been tied, mainly an argument between Delaney and her best friend, Janna, but I'm not sure that they even need to be tied up

4.0 out of 5 stars If you had one day to live what would you do?, 23 Feb 2012
N. J. H. (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Fracture (Paperback)
The thing about "Fracture" that got me hooked was it's promise. As a reader, I felt like I was being questioned: "What would I do if I was about to die?" and "Would I want to live if I was suffering?". These questions truly plagued me throughout the book, until I had about four chapters left and the book went downhill.

I'll start with what I loved about "Fracture". The characters were beautifully developed, it's great to be able to describe a character well after finishing the book and still have a little connection with how they felt and an understanding of their story. The problem I had was, although the characters were believable and I could imagine them as real people, I just didn't feel they were that new or unique. With the exception of Delaney, our leading lady, the other characters felt like any other Young Adult character plucked out of any other Young Adult book.

I could look past this though because the concept for the plot was a great one: Delaney Maxwell should be dead. She was dead. Until she wasn't anymore and the doctors declared her a miracle. So what's the big deal, story over right? Wrong. Delaney doesn't feel normal anymore, there's something not right, a pulling sensation towards certain people. And who is Troy? The mysterious boy who understands Delaney's "gift" and seems to know who she is? You'll have to read it to find out.

Overall, a really good idea with great potential. I loved that we almost begin to question ourselves (It reminded me a little of Jodi Picoults writing style in that sense). The romance between various characters was also quite interesting, and from Delaney's perspective it was even better. The problem I had, aside from the unoriginal characters which I could overlook, was that towards the end of the novel Delaney became annoying. She spiraled into a character almost unrecognisable from her original personality and I was left feeling disappointed by her decline. Otherwise, an interesting concept that I would gladly recommend.

2.0 out of 5 stars What is it to be human? But the book is disgusted by the old or disabled, 15 Jun 2014
This review is from: Fracture (Paperback)
Readers will be left unchallenged if they are creeped out by old people, scared of epilepsy, scared of hospitals (and ice) and scared of facial disfigurement. I can’t recommend the book as these horror elements are too obvious and not fair to those who do have disabilities – no matter how the author has tried to cover her traces with a moral discussion. This might be why some readers don't engage with Delaney as character - she's too busy going 'yuk' at the people around her!
There are places where philosophical complexity enters the mix – Delaney changes her view of ‘what makes us human’ from 23-pairs of chromosomes, ‘bipedal’ and with ‘four-chambered hearts’ to accommodate Downs syndrome people (who have fewer chromosomes), and those without legs. She settles on humans being those with ‘undamaged… correctly wired brains’. This becomes problematic for her as her brain seems to be leading her astray. But I held out hope that the author would revisit this topic, which she does.
What made me angry was that the book accumulates disability for horror purposes and special effects throughout. First Delaney expresses disgust at age in church (‘Old is dangerous’) and then towards old people who give her the creeps (‘Nothing against them personally, but just like everything else they would crumble and decay’). Later a school friend Carson stops taking meds for epilepsy (under medical guidance; they think he may have grown out of the condition) but Delaney can sense his imminent death and wants to save him. This whole scene is played out for maximum horror. Even though the writer (via the 911 service) informs Delaney that death from epilepsy is very rare and Carson must have more than one seizure and it must last for more than four minutes, both these things then occur. Delaney struggles to save Carson’s life and rolls him from the car into the snow to do CPR. The detail, the vomit, etc. are all played for horror. Delaney no longer feels human (blaming herself for Carson’s death: she thinks had she died he would still be alive). So she asks her doctor what he thinks ‘human’ is. He offers that we are ‘the only species aware of our own mortality… And you care. You try to help.’
The final horror moment is when Delaney and her Mom go into a garage and the guy who comes to serve them is missing his lower jaw! He also limps ‘his lagging foot scraped against the floor, whining in objection to each step’. He has the ‘pull of death’ about him and so of course, Troy has turned up. I won’t spoil the ending, or describe the fresh idea Delaney finally arrives at, because for all the ‘talk’, the imagery that the author uses throughout (disgust and horror at those who are old or disabled) undermines the supposedly life-affirming message. I wasn't convinced that Delaney had changed.

Fracture