5.0 out of 5 stars A poignant story about loss and hope
This was a wonderful short story that took me just over 45 minutes to read.

Three year old Millie Jones was abducted from a busy shopping centre eight years ago when her mother, Rebecca, turned her back for an instant.

Published on 24 Jan. 2012 by D. Jones

2.0 out of 5 stars Missing child, missing depth
This is a short story on the effect on a family when a child goes missing, never to be found. I tried it because it sounded interesting and was one of the most popular on the list of free Kindle books. I wasn't going to leave a review but I took slight issue with it being touted as a `number one bestseller' when it's not that well written.

In its current state...
Published on 9 Oct. 2012 by fluffy

5.0 out of 5 stars A poignant story about loss and hope, 24 Jan. 2012
D. Jones (Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Other Daughter (Kindle Edition)
This was a wonderful short story that took me just over 45 minutes to read.

Today Rebecca, Daniel and their young daughter Bethany are still suffering from the terrible emotional fallout that surrounds their loss. Rebecca fervently believes her daughter is still alive and that she will be reunited with her but this causes untold friction within her family.

I found this to be a deeply moving and emotional read. The layers of grief were handled respectfully by the author whilst at the same time giving us an insight into the pain and turmoil experienced by Rebecca.

I would have loved to have seen this story told from the three different viewpoint, that of Rebecca, Daniel and Bethany. Although we were aware of Daniel and Bethany's own personal suffering and their reactions to Rebecca's insistence that Millie would return one day, I think the story could have been taken to a whole new level had it been examined from the three different perspectives.

There was a twist to the story that I didn't see coming and although initially disappointed, after reflection I felt that it was an excellent inclusion in the plot.

There were a couple of spelling mistakes and the author regularly used 'new' instead of the correct 'she knew ..' However, this did not detract in any way from what was a great book.

I will certainly be looking at downloading some of the other short stories that I know Rosen Trevithick has written.

4.0 out of 5 stars Insightful little piece.., 8 Feb. 2012
Cheryl M-M (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Other Daughter (Kindle Edition)
How is a parent or sibling supposed to cope with the fact that their child/sibling is gone. Not knowing why, when, who or what can break the ones left behind. This short story gives us a small indication of the pain, the refusal to let go and most importantly the neglect of the child left behind who wasn't taken. I think the story sailed fairly close to the one that has been in the media quite a lot. That said it is probably like that in most cases of this nature except the public never hears about it. It is an insightful piece, some of it more reminiscent of an exciting CSI episode, but def. worth the quick read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Emotional and satisfying read, 10 Feb. 2012
Damaskcat (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Other Daughter (Kindle Edition)
Millie Jones - elder daughter of Rebecca and Daniel and sister of Bethany - disappeared on a shopping trip eight years before the story opens. The remaining members of her family try and cope with the situation in their own individual ways. Rebecca courts publicity and wants to keep Millie's case in the public eye. Daniel wants to move on. Bethany just wants someone to realise she exists.

When the longed for reunion looks like taking place at last all three are shocked out of the plodding day to day life which keeps them in their state of limbo. The story is about how they deal with the change. I found it an emotional roller coaster read. It is a long short story and the author brings the main characters to life. I wanted things to work out for them - especially Bethany as she seemed to be getting a raw deal.

I love the ending and though it fitted the story very well. I was fortunate to download this story free but it is worth paying for and can be read at a sitting.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant emotive read, 3 May 2012
Bookie (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Other Daughter (Kindle Edition)
This is the first book I've read by Rosen Trevithick; and based on this, it won't be the last. I really enjoyed this story because it worked at every level. It left me wanting more, it was spot on as a short story with no wasted words, it had a slow burn start and then moved to a roller coaster pace as the tale developed.

The characters are well drawn, each one dealing with a tragic loss in their own way. They are plausible and the drama of the twist in the tale brought out further dimensions to their characters. It's a short read, about half an hour, but the author packs more into that time than do many authors in a full length novel. If thirty minute playhouse were still around, this would translate very well to either a TV or radio drama and is potentially spellbinding. Thank you Ms Trevithick for bringing me pleasure with your carefully crafted words. I highly recommend this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good read, 29 April 2012
ElaineG (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Other Daughter (Kindle Edition)
A very sad tale, which starts eight years after the abduction of a three year old little girl, focussing on how the family are coping, or not coping, after all that time. I agree with other reviewers that it certainly puts you in mind of another high profile media case that we have all heard of, and because of the excellent way the story is portrayed it really makes you grateful that your own kids are safe at home. I can only hope that in a real life situation, the police would be a little more thorough in their investigations when a case is reopened, than the ones dealing with this case.

4.0 out of 5 stars A short but powerful piece of writing, 17 Jun. 2012
Mrs Em (Didsbury, Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Other Daughter (Kindle Edition)
I read this today in Rosen Trevithick's short story collection called Seesaw.

Millie disappeared 8 years ago and ever since, her parents, Rebecca and Daniel, now mere shadows of their former selves, have simply existed, hoping that one day some miracle will occur and Millie will return to them safe and well. They have a younger daughter Bethany who has no memory of her older sister and has only ever known her parents as the empty shells they are now, who struggle through each day, jumping at every knock on the door in case it's the police with news of Millie's whereabouts.

The sense of emptiness and despair is tangible and you do wonder how they carry on. Rebecca refuses to give up hope, Daniel wants to move on and Bethany wants life to be more normal.

The twist in the tale left my heart racing. Indeed, I was so desperate for news that I jumped a big chunk of the page to find the answer, before calming myself down and going back to read it again properly.

I agree with another reviewer that more time looking at things from Daniel and Bethany's perpective could have given the story another layer of depth. However, it is a short story and I think the level of emotion that the writer managed to convey was impressive.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Other Daughter Rosen Trevithick, 5 Feb. 2012
This review is from: The Other Daughter (Kindle Edition)
This short story has obviously been professionally proof read since the previous review.

The story of a family coping with the loss of a child over a long period of time, with moments of hope and despair. Sensitively told, the family are united by grief but estranged by their individual coping mechanisms.

I loved the deep emotional insight into how the individuals managed an unresolved, heartbreaking and ongoing situation.

My only criticism is that it was too brief, I would love to have seen the plot further developed and expanded.

I am related to the author and have enjoyed watching her develop different styles for different genres over the years. I am delighted by her level of achievement.

An excellent read.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent short story, 3 May 2012
This review is from: The Other Daughter (Kindle Edition)
Brilliant - I'm an avid reader, however I don't normally select short stories. Having read the reviews I thought I'd give it a go. I read it in my lunch hour - once I'd started I did not want to stop. The author cleverly conveyed the emotions of each family member and the different ways in which they coped-or didn't with loss/grief - it really gets to you. I will definitely be looking for more books by this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like Minority Report, but without pre-cogs., 12 Oct. 2012
This review is from: The Other Daughter (Kindle Edition)
Rosen Trevithick's story The Other Daughter was a bit of a revelation for me as a reader of this author's stuff. I'd previously read her novel "Pompomberry House" and its prequel, as well as "London, the Doggy and Me", so was used to comedy with a hint of the macabre.

The Other Daughter is a much more serious affair, dealing as it does with a family thrown into eight years of misery after the abduction of the oldest daughter on a Christmas shopping trip. Although Rosen wisely steers clear of child abuse in favour of focusing on the psychological trauma of parents losing a child, this is strong, edgy stuff, and a theme that seems more timely than ever in light of all the unpleasant things we're hearing about Jimmy Savile, not to mention the recent April Jones case.

Well-written and compelling, with an ending that just feels right, The Other Daughter isn't an easy read, but it's worth the effort.

4.0 out of 5 stars A moving story, 14 April 2012
This review is from: The Other Daughter (Kindle Edition)
This is a short story about a very tragic event and the effects it has on a family. I found this book to be very well written and I really liked the Authors style. I enjoyed all the characters and felt the dynamic between them was very realistic. I like how the story concluded and it made for an uplifting end.

The Other Daughter