4.0 out of 5 stars Insightful little piece..
Published on 8 Feb 2012 by Cheryl M-M

3.0 out of 5 stars A well written short story
A free read which has left me wanting to read more from this author. Even though a short story there was still time for some twists and surprises.
Published 21 months ago by bessie

4.0 out of 5 stars Insightful little piece.., 8 Feb 2012
Cheryl M-M (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Other Daughter (Kindle Edition)
How is a parent or sibling supposed to cope with the fact that their child/sibling is gone. Not knowing why, when, who or what can break the ones left behind. This short story gives us a small indication of the pain, the refusal to let go and most importantly the neglect of the child left behind who wasn't taken. I think the story sailed fairly close to the one that has been in the media quite a lot. That said it is probably like that in most cases of this nature except the public never hears about it. It is an insightful piece, some of it more reminiscent of an exciting CSI episode, but def. worth the quick read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A poignant story about loss and hope, 24 Jan 2012
D. Jones (Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Other Daughter (Kindle Edition)
This was a wonderful short story that took me just over 45 minutes to read.

Three year old Millie Jones was abducted from a busy shopping centre eight years ago when her mother, Rebecca, turned her back for an instant.

Today Rebecca, Daniel and their young daughter Bethany are still suffering from the terrible emotional fallout that surrounds their loss. Rebecca fervently believes her daughter is still alive and that she will be reunited with her but this causes untold friction within her family.

I found this to be a deeply moving and emotional read. The layers of grief were handled respectfully by the author whilst at the same time giving us an insight into the pain and turmoil experienced by Rebecca.

I would have loved to have seen this story told from the three different viewpoint, that of Rebecca, Daniel and Bethany. Although we were aware of Daniel and Bethany's own personal suffering and their reactions to Rebecca's insistence that Millie would return one day, I think the story could have been taken to a whole new level had it been examined from the three different perspectives.

There was a twist to the story that I didn't see coming and although initially disappointed, after reflection I felt that it was an excellent inclusion in the plot.

There were a couple of spelling mistakes and the author regularly used 'new' instead of the correct 'she knew ..' However, this did not detract in any way from what was a great book.

I will certainly be looking at downloading some of the other short stories that I know Rosen Trevithick has written.

4.0 out of 5 stars Emotional and satisfying read, 10 Feb 2012
Damaskcat (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Other Daughter (Kindle Edition)
Millie Jones - elder daughter of Rebecca and Daniel and sister of Bethany - disappeared on a shopping trip eight years before the story opens. The remaining members of her family try and cope with the situation in their own individual ways. Rebecca courts publicity and wants to keep Millie's case in the public eye. Daniel wants to move on. Bethany just wants someone to realise she exists.

When the longed for reunion looks like taking place at last all three are shocked out of the plodding day to day life which keeps them in their state of limbo. The story is about how they deal with the change. I found it an emotional roller coaster read. It is a long short story and the author brings the main characters to life. I wanted things to work out for them - especially Bethany as she seemed to be getting a raw deal.

I love the ending and though it fitted the story very well. I was fortunate to download this story free but it is worth paying for and can be read at a sitting.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Other Daughter Rosen Trevithick, 5 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Other Daughter (Kindle Edition)
This short story has obviously been professionally proof read since the previous review.

The story of a family coping with the loss of a child over a long period of time, with moments of hope and despair. Sensitively told, the family are united by grief but estranged by their individual coping mechanisms.

I loved the deep emotional insight into how the individuals managed an unresolved, heartbreaking and ongoing situation.

My only criticism is that it was too brief, I would love to have seen the plot further developed and expanded.

I am related to the author and have enjoyed watching her develop different styles for different genres over the years. I am delighted by her level of achievement.

An excellent read.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent short story, 3 May 2012
This review is from: The Other Daughter (Kindle Edition)
Brilliant - I'm an avid reader, however I don't normally select short stories. Having read the reviews I thought I'd give it a go. I read it in my lunch hour - once I'd started I did not want to stop. The author cleverly conveyed the emotions of each family member and the different ways in which they coped-or didn't with loss/grief - it really gets to you. I will definitely be looking for more books by this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant emotive read, 3 May 2012
Bookie (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Other Daughter (Kindle Edition)
This is the first book I've read by Rosen Trevithick; and based on this, it won't be the last. I really enjoyed this story because it worked at every level. It left me wanting more, it was spot on as a short story with no wasted words, it had a slow burn start and then moved to a roller coaster pace as the tale developed.

The characters are well drawn, each one dealing with a tragic loss in their own way. They are plausible and the drama of the twist in the tale brought out further dimensions to their characters. It's a short read, about half an hour, but the author packs more into that time than do many authors in a full length novel. If thirty minute playhouse were still around, this would translate very well to either a TV or radio drama and is potentially spellbinding. Thank you Ms Trevithick for bringing me pleasure with your carefully crafted words. I highly recommend this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars A moving story, 14 April 2012
This review is from: The Other Daughter (Kindle Edition)
This is a short story about a very tragic event and the effects it has on a family. I found this book to be very well written and I really liked the Authors style. I enjoyed all the characters and felt the dynamic between them was very realistic. I like how the story concluded and it made for an uplifting end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Moving, 25 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Other Daughter (Kindle Edition)
A highly emotional well written story of a potentially sensitive subject. I read a previous short story by the same author Lipstick and Knickersand enjoyed it so much I didn't have to think twice about grabbing this one however, the subject matters are as far apart as it is possible for them to be.

***SPOILER BELOW***

Although it is what should be a heavy subject I found the story quite light, not light hearted but easy to read. It describes the emotions and the mental state of the parents very well and how they are affected with the sudden unexpected, yet yearned for, return of their daughter only to have that hoped dashed away and lose their daughter for a second time. It highlighted different aspects of what it would be like to go through such an ordeal as having a child abducted and while it was not essentially a happy ending it still left me feeling content. It is written in such as way as by the time you reach the ending you feel you have read a heart warming story and not in fact, touched on what it might be like to lose a toddler to abduction.

3.0 out of 5 stars A well written short story, 20 Oct 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Like Minority Report, but without pre-cogs., 12 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Other Daughter (Kindle Edition)
Rosen Trevithick's story The Other Daughter was a bit of a revelation for me as a reader of this author's stuff. I'd previously read her novel "Pompomberry House" and its prequel, as well as "London, the Doggy and Me", so was used to comedy with a hint of the macabre.

The Other Daughter is a much more serious affair, dealing as it does with a family thrown into eight years of misery after the abduction of the oldest daughter on a Christmas shopping trip. Although Rosen wisely steers clear of child abuse in favour of focusing on the psychological trauma of parents losing a child, this is strong, edgy stuff, and a theme that seems more timely than ever in light of all the unpleasant things we're hearing about Jimmy Savile, not to mention the recent April Jones case.

Well-written and compelling, with an ending that just feels right, The Other Daughter isn't an easy read, but it's worth the effort.

The Other Daughter